--

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 5
NFL Comparison
John Johnson III
Overview
Cornerback turned safety with good athletic traits for the safety position and rare physicality from a former cornerback. Johnson has grown into a safety’s frame but is versatile enough to play near the line of scrimmage or line up over the slot. He moves fluidly with good play speed but is still processing angles and coverage responsibilities at his new position. He will come downhill and hit anything near the line of scrimmage with everything he’s got, but he needs to learn to control his aggression to become a more consistent tackler. Johnson’s traits, versatility and toughness give him a chance to become a starting safety or nickel safety.
Strengths
  • Team captain with 54 career starts under his belt.
  • Sharp change of direction in the open field.
  • Rockets downhill to attack the run near the line.
  • Steps in and thumps blockers and runners.
  • Cornerback experience helps with route recognition.
  • Pedals and breaks with fluidity when matched over the slot.
  • Range to drive off the hash and challenge a boundary throw.
Weaknesses
  • Still learning run fits and leverage as a safety.
  • Needs to throttle down and play with better control at times.
  • Run-support approach often creates an all-or-nothing scenario.
  • Has trouble gathering weight and making lateral tackles versus cuts.
  • Will take time learning responsibilities and recognition as split safety.
  • Inconsistent hips and leverage from near the hash.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@YATittle posted:

I hear ya, but I wonder if Gute has it factored into his evaluation process. Wants "leaders"

It's probably more that many of the factors the GM is looking for also make for good leaders, not the other way around.

From PFF on the Packers new Safety

https://www.pff.com/news/draft...pff-draft-board-2023

Rare Aggressiveness

The first thing that jumps off Anthony Johnson Jr.'s 2022 tape is his sheer aggression and competitiveness.

click on link to see some cut ups

When Johnson was matched up in single coverage in the slot, he excelled. His 42.5 passer rating allowed from the slot is one of the best marks in the safety class. He was unafraid of matchups with slot receivers and tight ends, including likely Day 2 pick Sam LaPorta. He also did not allow a single reception of 30 yards or longer all season.

In his first year ever as a full-time safety, Anthony Johnson Jr. proved to be:

• Incredibly aggressive in run support
  • Reliable in deep halves and quarters
  • Effective in a slot role using his skills as a former cornerback
Last edited by Satori

I love Safeties that hit like LBers, but I hope he can control and channel his aggression. The first play, after he tackles the RB, his shit talking could likely get penalized for taunting in the NFL.
Nothing sucks more than giving the opposing offense a fresh set of downs via penalty, especially after a big play.

At least it looks like he arrives for a hit with some energy and not just hoping to hold on till help arrives. Yes, teams will take advantage of his willingness to hit, but reading the play can be taught while the willingness to hit has to come from within. It looks like he has that.

@Boris posted:

Nothing Rong with a run stuffer - got sick of giving up 6-7 yards on first down

Its tough to watch sometimes

The Packers are using the Fangio scheme of having the DL handle a gap and a half - and keeping their Safeties deep to shut down the big plays over the top.

We're used to see Safeties come flying down to cover a run gap- but in these defenses, they handle it differently. Doesn't mean Safeties have zero run responsibility, just that they flow to the ball instead of being responsible for a specific gap.

We saw an immense difference in run stuff when Amos was out injured vs not so they certainly do impact the run...but its sometimes further down field and that's a function of this defensive scheme.

You don't want to get gashed in run game, but given the choice of giving up a big passing play vs several 6 yard runs - the DC and HC are gonna choose to stop the big plays every time.

I think its also interesting to see how much draft capital the Packers spent on DL...hopefully we get better results closer to the LOS

Just listened to the Andy Herman's podcast with Ben Fennell, who works for the NFL Network and is a Packer fan, and he was excited about this draft. The one thing that was interesting is he said don't sleep on Anthony Johnson, he might be our starting safety!

@Satori posted:

Its tough to watch sometimes.

I think its also interesting to see how much draft capital the Packers spent on DL...hopefully we get better results closer to the LOS

Remember 2007? When they rotated like 10-11 DL. KGB and the gang. Maybe we'll see that again.

@Iowacheese posted:

Anthony Johnson is a tough nosed baller.

Anthony Johnson Jr from the great state of I-Wa

"Solidly built and has worked hard to develop his body (added 45 pounds since enrolling at Iowa State at 160 pounds) ... displays the athleticism to mirror
runners or defend the cutback ... bursts to finish as a downhill run filler ... understands field leverage to restrict run lanes, forcing ball carriers towards pursuit ... has functional drop range with strong cover awareness ... moves with the transitional quickness of a former cornerback ... NFL scouts rave about his character ... known as a great teammate and competitor who will be a natural fit in any NFL locker room ... was a regular on punt return and punt coverages
(418 career special teams
snaps) ... durable and finished his career with 53-straight starts (54 starts overall)"

Last edited by Satori
@R MaN posted:

Just listened to the Andy Herman's podcast with Ben Fennell, who works for the NFL Network and is a Packer fan, and he was excited about this draft. The one thing that was interesting is he said don't sleep on Anthony Johnson, he might be our starting safety!

He may be by default.

With Darnell Savage, Jonathan Owens, Rudy Ford, Tarvarious Moore, and Anthony Johnson Jr. The safety room is actually looking better than decent right now.

Don't get too caught up in who will play FS or SS. Joe Barry will use these safeties differently depending upon the formation, and personnel grouping.

Those that think that Gute should have brought Amos back. Smash fell off last season. Was a big weak link in the defense. Gute had seen enough. It was time to move on.

Gute will probably keep 5 safeties.

Savage

Owens

Moore

Ford

Leavitt(kept for ST)

Johnson Jr. will have to impress in camp to make the 53, but I think Gute will figure out a way to keep him no matter what.

Let's Go!

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

With Darnell Savage, Jonathan Owens, Rudy Ford, Tarvarious Moore, and Anthony Johnson Jr. The safety room is actually looking better than decent right now.

Don't get too caught up in who will play FS or SS. Joe Barry will use these safeties differently depending upon the formation, and personnel grouping.

Those that think that Gute should have brought Amos back. Smash fell off last season. Was a big weak link in the defense. Gute had seen enough. It was time to move on.

Gute will probably keep 5 safeties.

Savage

Owens

Moore

Ford

Leavitt(kept for ST)

Johnson Jr. will have to impress in camp to make the 53, but I think Gute will figure out a way to keep him no matter what.

Let's Go!

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

I certainly wouldn't say it's looking even decent but am excited to see what Johnson, Moore and Ford can do. I don't have a lot of hope for the other guys. Savage is very fast but absolutely cannot tackle and isn't great in coverage either. I would love to see him improve but am not optimistic. I also would like to see Barry find a way to play to his strengths better but we are talking about Joe Barry so........

@13X posted:

I also would like to see Barry find a way to play to his strengths better but we are talking about Joe Barry so........

Barry gets a bit of a bad rap. The defense has played good enough(not great) the last couple years. I'm not saying Barry is a legendary defensive mind. His defenses normally show up enough when it matters. Aaron and the offense is why LaFleur and staff have no rings yet. LaFleur didn't fire Barry after last season because the defense played well enough to win more than 8 games. LaFleur was more to blame for last season than Barry. He couldn't fire Joe. Matt knows the offense was the biggest problem last season. Aaron looked like the worst QB in the league last season. You can't lose that Lions game. Aaron didn't show up in a big game yet again.  And even when Aaron was still at an MVP level, he and the offense didn't produce when it mattered in the big games. Did the defense lose the NFC Champ game against Tampa at home? Did the defense lose the divisional round playoff game against San Fran in 2021?

I think this team is better now than they were going into last season.

Anyone that thinks this is going to be a 5-12 or worse team this season has not been paying attention. Last season was unacceptable! Changes needed to be made, they were and are.

Last edited by FreeFromWhatYouAre

Barry has been a complete failure as a DC in his previous stints. He would also at times drop into the deep zone during short yardage situations even late in the season indicating he never really learned anything from his previous mistakes. We have  some DBs who excel at playing press man and yet he would continually put them in zone and play to their weaknesses. Some of the defensive leaders had to pull him aside to make a point about playing to their strengths. He had a ton of talent to work with on the defense and continued to make the same mistakes throughout the year although they definitely had a handful of good games. Just look at the defenses he called when going against Justin Jefferson in the season opener. I do agree of course that Rodgers had a bad year. I also feel that MLF finds a way to come up small in big games and may be over his head. Time will tell.

Yes, time will tell.

If the offense plays even at a mildly higher level than the Aaron led offense last season, that played at an extremely low level, this can be a 10 or 11 win team.

J-Love and the boys can be better than that pile of crap that Aaron led last season. That I am very confident in.

Last edited by FreeFromWhatYouAre

"Barry has been a complete failure as a DC in his previous stints. He would also at times drop into the deep zone during short yardage situations even late in the season indicating he never really learned anything from his previous mistakes. We have  some DBs who excel at playing press man and yet he would continually put them in zone and play to their weaknesses."

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.