Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nice tribute to Ueck prior to the game by Fox

@ilcuqui posted:

Nice tribute to Ueck prior to the game by Fox

As I've said many times, the fact that Bob Uecker will never get to call the last out of a World Series win is probably the biggest disappointment in Wisconsin sports history.

I remember almost every play of Game 7 in 1982. The Brewers were ahead 3-1 after Vuckovich got the first out in the bottom of the 6th. 11 outs to go and then things fell apart. They had an 80% win probability to win at that point.

https://www.baseball-reference...N/SLN198210200.shtml

What were they thinking with Judge at cleanup with Skenes pitching. Like the entire planet wanted to see this matchup. Luckily Soto managed to get on base and the actual at bat was a forgettable 1 pitch matchup.

If Soto doesn't get on base this would have looked like a worse decision than the Home Run Derby National Anthem singer thinking getting piss drunk was a good idea.   

As I've said many times, the fact that Bob Uecker will never get to call the last out of a World Series win is probably the biggest disappointment in Wisconsin sports history.

I remember almost every play of Game 7 in 1982. The Brewers were ahead 3-1 after Vuckovich got the first out in the bottom of the 6th. 11 outs to go and then things fell apart. They had an 80% win probability to win at that point.

https://www.baseball-reference...N/SLN198210200.shtml

I completely agree on Uecker and the world series.  It would be nice if the crew could get there one more time for him.

That 1982 Series was so fun to experience.  But, it has been so long ago that I was in high school at the time and  we were watching game 4 or 5 during our homecoming dinner. 

And that game 7 still stings to this day.  I can remember thinking all day that we have Vuckovich on the mound and was feeling so good about it.  At the time it  didn't hurt that much because like many Brewers fans I thought for sure they would be back there again. 

@The Heckler posted:

I completely agree on Uecker and the world series.  It would be nice if the crew could get there one more time for him.

That 1982 Series was so fun to experience.  But, it has been so long ago that I was in high school at the time and  we were watching game 4 or 5 during our homecoming dinner.

And that game 7 still stings to this day.  I can remember thinking all day that we have Vuckovich on the mound and was feeling so good about it.  At the time it  didn't hurt that much because like many Brewers fans I thought for sure they would be back there again.

Two homegrown first-ballot Hall of Famers were only 26 and 25 years old (Yount and Molitor) in 1982. They played together for 10 more years in Milwaukee and never even played in another playoff game.

@ammo posted:

The 1983 collapse was one of the worst sports issues I've experienced.  On Sept 1 they were only 3 games behind the Orioles.  The Birds went 21 - 11 to finish the season while the Brewers went 12 - 18.   Just an epic collapse.

On August 25th they lead the division and were 73-53. By September 19th, they were 79-71 after getting swept in a 4 game series by the Orioles and were 14 games behind. They actually finished the year winning 8 of the last 12 when it didn't matter.

So, they went 6-18 over a 25 day period. The real nail in the coffin was a stretch where they lost 8 in a row and scored 2 or less runs (gotten shut out twice in a 7 game stretch). Chuck Porter lost a complete game, 1-0 shutout. Caldwell lost the next game 2-1 when he also pitched a complete game.

A team with 3 future Hall of Fame hitters (and Cooper and Oglivie) just stopped hitting. Yount had a good 1983 (886 OPS), but wasn't at the 1982 all-time level. Molitor had a terrible year for him (743 OPS). Don Money seemed to age about 10 years from the year before. Cooper and Simmons were still both great, but the other regressions (and trading Gorman Thomas for a guy who hit just as poorly for average but with no power (Manning)) all contributed.

https://www.baseball-reference...chedule-scores.shtml

On August 25th they lead the division and were 73-53. By September 19th, they were 79-71 after getting swept in a 4 game series by the Orioles and were 14 games behind. They actually finished the year winning 8 of the last 12 when it didn't matter.

https://www.baseball-reference...chedule-scores.shtml

Thanks for the link. I never knew they had 39 blown leads in games.  Sure they had 34 comeback wins but 39 blown leads seems like a lot.

That 83 team was crazy to watch.  They would be hitting like crazy but then the pitching broke down.  And when they were pitching well they just stopped hitting. 

I do remember how pissed Brewers fans were when they traded Gorman fairly early in the year for some scrubs from the Indians.  IMHO that to me started the downfall of the Brewers that lasted for awhile.

@The Heckler posted:

That 83 team was crazy to watch.  They would be hitting like crazy but then the pitching broke down.  And when they were pitching well they just stopped hitting.

I do remember how pissed Brewers fans were when they traded Gorman fairly early in the year for some scrubs from the Indians.  IMHO that to me started the downfall of the Brewers that lasted for awhile.

Gorman was the personification and the heart and soul of those late 70s/early 80s teams. He started the 1983 in a terrible slump (he did emerge a bit after he was traded to Cleveland and ended the season with 22 home runs).

Combined with the age-related regressions for Oglivie (34 HRs in 1982 to 13 in 1983) and Money (16 down to 1) in terms of power and the fall-off Yount (29 to 17) also had, trading Gorman removed the only real power hitter they had that year other than Cooper (30 HRs). The lack of HR power was the real difference from 1982. They hit 216 home runs in 1982 and 132 in 1983. Not only did it directly create runs, but the fact you had to fear the majority of the lineup going deep in 1982 and much less so in 1983 was the difference. You could pitch them completely different because the opposing pitchers didn't fear that almost every pitch could get hit deep.

Thomas (39 HRs in 1982 to 5 in 1983). Manning hit 3 the rest of the year starting in place of Gorman.

Oglivie (34 to 13)

Cooper (32 to 30)

Yount (29 to 17)

Simmons (23 to 13)

Molitor (19 to 15)

Money (16 to 1) - a lot of HRs/AB because he was in a platoon with Howell

Last edited by MichiganPacker2

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.