Seconds

Vertical Jump

29.5’’

Broad Jump

9’ 0’’

Player Bio

• 2019: Started all 12 games at RT.
  • 2020: Started all 11 games at RG.
  • 2021: Honorable Mention All-ACC. Started all 12 games at RG.
  • 2022: Honorable Mention All-ACC. Played in 11 games with 10 starts (5 at C, 5 at RG). Missed 2 games due to injury.
  • 2023: Second-team All-ACC. Started all 13 games (6 at RG, 7 at C). Team captain.
  • Father, Stanley, played RB at Duke. Late uncle, Quincy, played LB at North Carolina and spent 3 years in the NFL. Quincy had a stroke in 2015 and then was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma (a form of cancer), passing later that year at 36 years old.

-- by Chad Reuter

Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 6

Overview

Rare five-year starter and two-year team captain with explosive power and plus athleticism. Right off the bat, Monk will be dinged for his lack of ideal size as a center. He's going to have trouble with bulky two-gappers who can snap a punch into him and quickly separate. However, one-gapping defenders will have their hands full, as he's more than capable of washing them down or outright pancaking them. Monk can slide and redirect A-gap rushers, but an offensive line coach must get him to protect with inside hands. Monk's blend of football IQ, nimble feet and power give him a realistic chance to compete for a job, no matter how he gets into a camp.

Strengths

• Five-year starter and two-time team captain.
  • Weight-room warrior possessing explosive hips and upper-body power.
  • Athleticism pops in pass slides and as a pulling/screen blocker.
  • Uses hand strength and leg drive to connect and sustain.
  • Wipe-out power to bounce A-gap blitzers out of the club.

Weaknesses

• Addresses pass rusher with wide hands and an open frame.
  • Absorbs first contact more often than dealing it in protection.
  • Needs to eliminate the leaning and reaching.
  • Could struggle to impose power on defenders with length.
  • Moves well but might have trouble collecting second-level movement.

GMMds7hWcAE23T6

Attachments

Images (1)
  • GMMds7hWcAE23T6
Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Trying to find info on the guy...

From NFL: "Monk played center, guard and tackle over five seasons with the Blue Devils but likely projects to center in the NFL."

Another Gute special: versatile OL who they say is really football smart, and he was a Duke captain.

If Morgan works out and gets on the field day 1, the OL could be: Walker, Jenkins, Tom, Rhyan, Morgan. Monk would back up Tom, leaving Meyers on the bench or on a different team.

From The Athletic, Dane Brugler

OC10

STRENGTHS: Checks boxes for functional size and movements … looks smooth in his change of direction and is a natural bender … gets out o f his stance quickly andeasily expands his range as a puller … looks comfortable picking off defenders in space when climbing in the screen game … shows natural strength and doesn’t  appear overwhelmed at contact … able to generate power from his lower body in the run game … delivers pop with his initial st rike and runs his feet on contact tosteer rushers wide … shows the alertness expected of a player with his experience … two-year team captain and comes with strong character reviews … durable and started 58 games during his career … logged double -digit starts at three different positions.

WEAKNESSES: Short-armed, and his balance will rock when he leans and overextends … inconsistent timing with his initial strike … tends to carry his hands low, which exposes his chest … occasionally pulled inside on protections … speed-to-power pass rushers will bruise and batter him with bully length and force his anchor to work overtime … average twitch athlete, which shows in his mirroring skills and also creates delays in his recoveries … collected 20 penalties during his five seasons as a starter, including several holding flags in 2023 … missed two games in 2022 because of injury … started more games at right guard and right tackle in college but is viewed as a center-only prospect by several NFL teams.

SUMMARY: A five-year starter at Duke, Monk switched between right guard and center in former offensive coordinator Kevin Johns’ scheme. The h ighest-ranked recruit in the Blue Devils’ class five years ago, he earned a starting role from the get-go (played tackle for the first time as a true freshman) and then showed off his versatility between guard and center, depending on where he was needed (earned All-ACC honors in his final three seasons). Monk has graceful movements out of his stance (second-best 10-yard split among centers at the combine) and processes his surroundings quickly (coaches rave about him as a teammate and worker). His hands have moments where they are all over the place, and he gets himself in trouble when he lunges in attempts to answer pow er. Overall, Monk doesn’t have elite size and strength, which puts more of a premium on his technique, but his foot quickness and football IQ belong on an NFL roster. He projects best as a backup center who can fill in at guard in a pinch.

Last edited by Satori

^  one note on the above scouting report - Gute commented about how fast this guy gets out of his stance and how important that is for an NFL OC -  where everything happens a beat faster inside.

@Boris posted:

My son is allergic to hot water, like in a spa or hot tub. Especially when he was younger, he would turn lobster red and even get welts. Now in college, he's better able to take it -- just when we really wish he could take only cold showers.

from Dane Brugler

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Jacob Monk, G/C, Duke

With the future of the Packers’ center position unsettled, I wouldn’t rule out Monk as a possible long-term option. His size and strength are solid, but what separates Monk is his foot quickness and processing skills, which will allow him to compete for reps at both guard and center.

@Fandame posted:

My son is allergic to hot water, like in a spa or hot tub. Especially when he was younger, he would turn lobster red and even get welts. Now in college, he's better able to take it -- just when we really wish he could take only cold showers.

Just turn off the hot water to his bathroom. 

(This is why I'm not a parent....)

@YATittle posted:

I whole heartedly agree.  My wife runs a therapeutic riding center here in west central IL and ther is no greater feeling than watching the kids interact with the horses, some really rewarding moments.  Hoping next year to expand the program to adults specifically soldiers with PTSD.  

I whole heartedly agree.  My wife runs a therapeutic riding center here in west central IL and ther is no greater feeling than watching the kids interact with the horses, some really rewarding moments.  Hoping next year to expand the program to adults specifically soldiers with PTSD.  

That's awesome. I did some work a long time ago with therapeutic riding, and it really was so rewarding. The kids love it, the horses "get it," and there are some special bonds made out in the barn.

@Fandame posted:

My son has cold urticaria, same as Mister Monk here. His is a little more easily set off though. Doesn't need to be ice water, just a sudden change in temps like a quick rain storm that cools everything off can have him head to toe in hives. Never seems to bother him much but he does carry an epi pen just in case.

One of my co-workers has that same reaction to hot or cold. That guy can't win!

@Fandame posted:

If Morgan works out and gets on the field day 1, the OL could be: Walker, Jenkins, Tom, Rhyan, Morgan. Monk would back up Tom, leaving Meyers on the bench or on a different team.

From a value POV -

If the Packers want to dump some salary, Royce Newman is a much more likely cut. Myers has lots of value either starting at OC or being an IOL back-up on game days. Myers can also compete to start at RG

Monk will hopefully get there - but for a team with legit playoff plans...having a vet like Myers on the team is a really good value at only $3M for 2024.
(Myers OTC valuation was $4.4M)

Then next year, Monk allows the Packers to move on IF that's their decision

https://overthecap.com/player/josh-myers/9526

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.