Skip to main content

GB-Packers_NFL-DraftPick-2024_2560x1440

The basics on Travis Glover

• Position: Left tackle
  • Class: Fifth-year senior (Georgia State)
  • Size: 6’6, 323 pounds
  • Projected draft round: Round 6

Travis Glover scouting report

Georgia State’s Travis Glover is one of the more interesting players I’ve watched in this year’s draft cycle. At first, I didn’t see what the hype was about. At all. Despite being a five-year starter at Georgia State who spent time at multiple spots on the line, Glover’s experience wasn’t immediately obvious. As a left tackle, his footwork was slow and he lacked the lateral mobility to block defenders rushing the arc. This issue popped up a number of times (left tackle in all clips, either No. 52 or No. 73).

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Glover started 57 games at Georgia State, where he lined up at left tackle, right tackle and left guard. He is a powerful run-blocker who plays with an edge. He has long arms and is quick getting set in pass protection. -- Steve Muench

@mrtundra posted:

I'm betting no other team has as much versatility on it's OL, as the Packers have.

I want to see a wrinkle in the playbook where the offense breaks huddle and all 5 linemen change positions right before getting set.

@Dr._Bob posted:

Or they could switch jerseys to really confuse them.

I think switching cleats would be funnier.  Can you imagine one of the Size 16s trying to stuff his feet into a pair of Size 15s before the play clock expired? Hilarity at it's finest.

Here's the Dane Brugler write up on Travis Glover

OT20

STRENGTHS: Massive-framed blocker with girth throughout … plays wide and isn’t easy to get around … has long arms and uses them to lock out and keep defenders off him … tough guy to move at the point of attack, even when his pads rise … grip strength is outstanding and allows him to control the man in front of him … has some pissed-off finishes on tape, using his upper body to torque rushers into a pretzel … when he is on the ground, it’s usually because he’s burying an opponent …shows better range than expected to get out in space as a lead blocker on screens … has experience at both tackle spots and inside at guard … durable and missed only one game in college (59 total games played), starting 45 straight to begin his career.

WEAKNESSES: Feet get heavy at times, and NFL wide speed will be a tall task — especially when he doesn’t gain enough ground off the snap … urgency to protect the corner forces his legs to straighten out, pads to get high and balance to be disrupted … inconsistent with his sink … body stiffness leaves him late to react to defenders out in space … more of a pusher in the run game than a scoop-and-drive player … high pads will make it very tough for him to win leverage battle versus NFL defenders … hands often land wide and force him to try and recorrect mid-sustain … able to reach the second level, but his batting average adjusting to moving targets at the second level is inconsistent.

SUMMARY: A five-year starter at Georgia State, Glover lined up primarily at left tackle in former head coach Shawn Elliott’s balanced offense . With 57 career starts (second most in school history), he showed steady improvements over the years and played his best as a super senior. He continued that momentum with standout weeks at the Hula Bowl and Senior Bowl. A big-bodied blocker, Glover transfers his immense body force into his hands to jolt at contact, and he often goes back for seconds with his punishing mentality. Though he appears heavy at times in space, he relies on his length to reassert himself and save his feet from the quicksand. Overall, Glover isn’t an explosive athlete, and achieving leverage will be a constant battle for him, but he also isn’t a slug and looks for ways to unleash his power in all areas. Given his experience at both tackle and guard, he can provide depth at multiple spots on a team’s depth chart.

I'm hoping this is the dude who will knock Newman off the 53 come September

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.