Skip to main content

I suppose an Owl win is the mark of a coach being at the top of his craft.

IMO, legacy has to be a close second.
Coaches that produce other high-caliber coaches is what creates the best of these legacies.

Anybody remember Jim Lee Howell?
He was a HC that produced not one, but two, HOF HCs.

Surprisingly, Lombardi had mixed results, at best.
Norb Hecker and Tom Fears became HCs.
Bengston didn't do us any favors.
Starr and Gregg were fair.

Holmgren blows 'em all away.
8 of his coaches were hired as HCs, and at least 1 (Reid) is bound to be a HOF coach. Of course, there were varying degrees of success amongst them all, but that is an impressive feat no matter how it's sliced.

I don't think MLF will have much of a coaching tree unless he starts hitting some jackpots, and I hope Hafley is the first of them.

@Timmy! posted:

I suppose an Owl win is the mark of a coach being at the top of his craft.

IMO, legacy has to be a close second.
Coaches that produce other high-caliber coaches is what creates the best of these legacies.

Anybody remember Jim Lee Howell?
He was a HC that produced not one, but two, HOF HCs.

Surprisingly, Lombardi had mixed results, at best.
Norb Hecker and Tom Fears became HCs.
Bengston didn't do us any favors.
Starr and Gregg were fair.

Holmgren blows 'em all away.
8 of his coaches were hired as HCs, and at least 1 (Reid) is bound to be a HOF coach. Of course, there were varying degrees of success amongst them all, but that is an impressive feat no matter how it's sliced.

I don't think MLF will have much of a coaching tree unless he starts hitting some jackpots, and I hope Hafley is the first of them.

Marty Schottenheimer has the best track record of anyone in the modern era so far.

Bill Cowher - HOF and Super Bowl winner

Tony Dungy- HOF and Super Bowl winner

Bruce Arians - Super Bowl winner

Mike McCarthy - Super Bowl winner

If you look at the 2nd generation of coaches descended from Schottenheimer, you get guys like Mike Tomlin, Lovie Smith, Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Jim Haslett, etc.

Mike Shanahan had the following assistants on his staff at some point: Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, Gary Kubiak, and Mike McDaniel.

The HOF cases of some of these guys will be interesting. Is Mike Tomlin going to be a HOFer? He's won a Super Bowl, appeared in another, has never had a losing season, but hasn't been in a Super Bowl now for 14 years.

McCarthy, even if this is his last year, is going to be about 12th all time in head coaching wins after this year. He has more wins and a better winning percentage than Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Mike Holmgren, and Pete Carroll.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.