Skip to main content

@TomSilverstein:  #Packers strength and conditioning coach Chris Gizzi has been fired, according to two league sources. Gizzi was a S and C assistant from 2014-‘18 and was promoted to his current job when Matt LaFleur became head coach. Gizzi played for the team in 2000-‘01.

Last edited by ilcuqui
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Gizzi, a U.S, Air Force Academy graduate, is probably best known for running out with Old Glory in the first game at Lambeau following 9/11.

IMG_6112

IMG_6113

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_6112
  • IMG_6113
Last edited by ilcuqui

Peter Bukowski said an NFL source suggested that the Packers are behind the times when it comes to treatment of injuries.  I'm curious what that means, exactly.  The Packers are uber-cautious with bringing guys back - that's been a standard.  But are they just not knowledgeable of new or better treatments for injuries (e.g., soft-tissue)?

With the amount of hamstring injuries, the entire team should be doing yoga and ballet...LOL....I know it sounds funny but the stretching really helps avoid these types of soft tissue injuries.

@ilcuqui posted:

Wow. No room at the inn for Belichick?

@AdamSchefter:  Falcons plan to hire Rams’ defensive coordinator Raheem Morris as their head coach, per sources.

He probably wanted more power than Blank was willing to give.

MLF should be calling him now; Bill, the defense is yours.

@D J posted:

He probably wanted more power than Blank was willing to give.

MLF should be calling him now; Bill, the defense is yours.

Belichick is reported to really want to catch Shula for the all-time wins record, but it's just not realistic at this point. He needs 27 more wins and that would take him 4-5 years to get there with the types of jobs that he'd probably get. He'll be 72 before the season starts. The only one probably in play for Belichick next year is Dallas when MM inevitably gets fired. Would Belichick co-exist with Jerry Jone? Doubtful, buy maybe they both get desperate enough.

I think he sits out for a year and hopes for something like the Dallas job next year, but I think he is most likely done. I just don't see him coming back and being an assistant for anyone. No head coach that has ever won a Super Bowl has come back as an assistant to another head coach. No coach in their right mind is going to want the most successful coach in NFL history to be their defensive coordinator. Belichick is as Machiavellian as they come. It would be a coup waiting to happen every week.

I think in the end what will burn Belichick more than anything is that, even as successful as he's been, and clearly one the greatest defensive coordinators/defensive minds ever, is that he couldn't win anything without Brady.

In the years he coached without Tom Brady as his starting QB (Browns, 2000 Patriots, 2006 Patriots when Brady got hurt in the first game, 2015 first four games with Brady suspension, and then post-Brady) his regular season record was 85-98. He won one playoff game without Brady - in January of 1995 as the coach of the Browns. In the 10 seasons as head coach without Brady as his starter he mades the playoffs twice.

Brady's record without Belichick as a head coach was 32-18 regular season, 5-2 in in the playoffs, and made the playoffs 3 of 3 years.

Belichick's assistants all were terrible head coaches elsewhere.

His legacy will be as the greatest defensive coach of all time who succeeded as a head coach only when he had the best QB of all time.

Joe Barry had 6:21 left in the 4th QTR to save his job up 4 against a 1 seed as a 7 seed on the road as a 7.5 point dog  

instead of throwing the Kitchen Sink at a QB that had completed 57% of his passes to that point he went full turtle and MLF let it happen for 5 full minutes.

Im still not over last week. It’s gonna be a while. Fuck Barry and Fuck MLF for having his back way longer than he should have.

@ChilliJon posted:

Joe Barry had 6:21 left in the 4th QTR to save his job up 4 against a 1 seed as a 7 seed on the road as a 7.5 point dog  

instead of throwing the Kitchen Sink at a QB that had completed 57% of his passes to that point he went full turtle and MLF let it happen for 5 full minutes.

Im still not over last week. It’s gonna be a while. Fuck Barry and Fuck MLF for having his back way longer than he should have.

If GB throws the kitchen sink at SF with 6:21 left and the Niners score a quick TD that would not have been ideal.

However, the Packers would still have plenty of time to come back on offense.

If GB throws the kitchen sink at SF with 6:21 and forces the Niners to punt or even better into a turnover that would have been ideal.

The absolute worst approach, and outcome, would have been to sit back cautiously and let SF take time off the clock while marching down the field. And that is precisely the approach Joe Barry took -- hoping Purdy would fold rather than asking his defensive players to make a play.

Scared, cautious, risk-averse, passive whatever one wants to label it has been the approach on defense in Green Bay for far too long and pre-dates worthless Joe. It is the principal reason that, no matter who is playing QB, the Packers fail in the playoffs.

Come on Matt, hire an aggressive coach to coordinate the D and let's get back to another Super Bowl for the first time in 14 years.

@SteveLuke posted:

Scared, cautious, risk-averse, passive whatever one wants to label it has been the approach on defense in Green Bay for far too long and pre-dates worthless Joe. It is the principal reason that, no matter who is playing QB, the Packers fail in the playoffs.

Come on Matt, hire an aggressive coach to coordinate the D and let's get back to another Super Bowl for the first time in 14 years.

I totally agree that for far too long the defense in GB has been the problem.  For whatever reason if the DC or the players change it is the same old thing.  Here is hoping that the next DC hire puts an end to that shit and they have a true defense to go with an up and coming offense.  If they can finally do that and this team stays healthy look out for them.

Whether it's true or not, Vic K would typically respond that the mentality in Green Bay was too soft for the team to play like an NFL defense. As a whole, the team is too well adjusted. The bane of Packer People.

@Boris posted:

With the amount of hamstring injuries, the entire team should be doing yoga and ballet...LOL....I know it sounds funny but the stretching really helps avoid these types of soft tissue injuries.

Sometimes stretching makes them worse.

@Boris posted:

I just knew something was up in Atlanta when they said Belichick was getting a "2nd interview" like..... Wut?!  🤓

They forgot to ask him in the first if Brady would be joining him.🙃

Last edited by Goalline
@SteveLuke posted:

If GB throws the kitchen sink at SF with 6:21 left and the Niners score a quick TD that would not have been ideal.

However, the Packers would still have plenty of time to come back on offense.

If GB throws the kitchen sink at SF with 6:21 and forces the Niners to punt or even better into a turnover that would have been ideal.

The absolute worst approach, and outcome, would have been to sit back cautiously and let SF take time off the clock while marching down the field. And that is precisely the approach Joe Barry took -- hoping Purdy would fold rather than asking his defensive players to make a play.

Situational Barry failed again? Shocker!

@Shadow posted:

Whether it's true or not, Vic K would typically respond that the mentality in Green Bay was too soft for the team to play like an NFL defense. As a whole, the team is too well adjusted. The bane of Packer People.

It looked like the team was soft while AR was still in GB, the D's performance in the 2021 NFCCG notwithstanding.  We heard that opinion from several HC's last year alone.   Pass heavy teams in general tend to look softer while teams that run the ball consistently with success generally don't.  Because it all starts with the lines.  Drive blocking for the run vs. pass blocking.

But from my couch, that "aura" seemed to change the second half of this season.  I saw a lot of guys getting after the other team at and sometimes after the whistle, rallying to have each other's backs and to step in when it looked like someone was getting ganged up on.  On defense I can only guess that playing a preventative bend but don't break scheme would not lend itself to aggressive mindsets from the players.  As soon as they went to man more often, they started tackling better and playing more physical.  On offense, the same happened when they got their run game going

@ChilliJon posted:

Pretty sure you wouldn't get anywhere near the field with a kitchen sink.
Even if you were the new owner.

@DH13 posted:

It looked like the team was soft while AR was still in GB, the D's performance in the 2021 NFCCG notwithstanding.  We heard that opinion from several HC's last year alone.   Pass heavy teams in general tend to look softer while teams that run the ball consistently with success generally don't.  Because it all starts with the lines.  Drive blocking for the run vs. pass blocking.

But from my couch, that "aura" seemed to change the second half of this season.  I saw a lot of guys getting after the other team at and sometimes after the whistle, rallying to have each other's backs and to step in when it looked like someone was getting ganged up on.  On defense I can only guess that playing a preventative bend but don't break scheme would not lend itself to aggressive mindsets from the players.  As soon as they went to man more often, they started tackling better and playing more physical. On offense, the same happened when they got their run game going

This.

@DH13 posted:

But from my couch, that "aura" seemed to change the second half of this season.  I saw a lot of guys getting after the other team at and sometimes after the whistle, rallying to have each other's backs and to step in when it looked like someone was getting ganged up on.  On defense I can only guess that playing a preventative bend but don't break scheme would not lend itself to aggressive mindsets from the players.  As soon as they went to man more often, they started tackling better and playing more physical.  On offense, the same happened when they got their run game going

Fake tough. 

Think the organization and many of its fans (myself included) were surprised at seeing Love's SB window open so quickly. Does Gutey trade Rasul if he foresees the season playing out as it did?

Development of team occurred about a year ahead of schedule, IMO. My hope was to see the QB performing at the level he did next year. 

I think Douglas gets traded regardless. Loved the guy and he played well in Buffalo but he was in an entirely different defense. He was getting burned this year in GB and I saw him getting burned more than once with Buffalo.

@Packiderm posted:

I think Douglas gets traded regardless. Loved the guy and he played well in Buffalo but he was in an entirely different defense. He was getting burned this year in GB and I saw him getting burned more than once with Buffalo.

Douglas was traded because Gute knew he would be a cap casualty in the offseason and decided to get some draft capital for him instead of nothing when the Bills offered the pick.

@andrewmertig:   Based on two separate sources, Christian Parker is currently in Green Bay, and I’m being led to believe has been offered the Green Bay DC job. No word on if it has been accepted.

@ChilliJon posted:

tHIS!!!!!!  
IMG_0887

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0887
@4 Favre posted:

I guess probably one each for Favre/Rodgers I'd consider 'pissed away'. But without playing alternate history with coaching hires who can really say? Farts in the wind, as the wise ones say.

Lots of playoff choke jobs unfortunately.

Young, up and coming candidates for the DC job in Green Bay?

Who wants an aggressive, innovative D that might actually get a key stop at the end of a game?

Yes please.

Get it done MLF ... and no to Staley.

@SteveLuke posted:

Young, up and coming candidates for the DC job in Green Bay?

Who wants an aggressive, innovative D that might actually get a key stop at the end of a game?

Yes please.

Get it done MLF ... and no to Staley.

I really am liking that he is looking at young up and coming candidates from places like Baltimore where they have continued defensive success. 

I want a coordinator who used controlled aggression that stresses the offense that forces them in to mistakes.  Not sitting back hoping they don't get a big play.

@Boris posted:

Packers may have purposefully given out incorrect info in order to find rats and Mr Mertig has taken the bait. His “team sources” may not be team sources for long.

@antooo posted:

Nah, I think he's just fucking with Mertig to make him look bad.

In Metig's X account, he states:

"I hate condiments and people who call it a bubbler."

Who calls condiments a bubbler anyway?  A drinking fountain....sure, it's a bubbler, but condiments?

Condiments are like ketchup & mustard, salt & pepper. Yeah I don't get that either. Maybe he meant condoms 😂🤭

Bubbler or drinking fountain ⛲..... Who GAF?!?

Sheesh....

Last edited by Boris

@BradyHenderson:  Former Rams, Vikings and Seahawks QB Sean Mannion is ending his nine-year NFL playing career and has accepted a position on the Packers’ coaching staff, a source tells me. He’ll work with QBs and the passing game.

I’ve heard from several people over the last few years who said Mannion was destined to eventually coach because of his intelligence and understanding of the game. He’ll get that start in Green Bay after finishing last season on the Seahawks’ practice squad.

More on Jerry Montgomery:

@mattschneidman: Sources: Packers defensive line coach and run game coordinator Jerry Montgomery is not returning next season on Jeff Hafley’s staff. Montgomery has been with Green Bay since 2015 and already has multiple opportunities to coach elsewhere.

@ilcuqui posted:

Tom Silverstein tweets that Tom Clements will be returning as QB coach for next season.

That’s huge! Not only will this help further development of Love but it also serves as an endorsement of his skills and potential by Clements. 👍

@TomSilverstein: As new DC Jeff Hafley builds his staff, two #Packers defensive assistants who will not return are passing game coordinator Greg Williams and inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti, a source said. Olivadotti will join the staff of new #Seahawks coach Mike McDonald.

McDuffie is a smart instinctual player but is athletically limited. Walker is the exact opposite. If we do play more 4 man fronts the ILBer's are going to have to be better vs. the run. Watching Wahle's game reviews, Walker and Campbell were not good at triggering vs. runs between the tackles. They would often be "catching" instead of attacking blockers 3-5 yards off the LOS.

@FLPACKER posted:

McDuffie is a smart instinctual player but is athletically limited. Walker is the exact opposite. If we do play more 4 man fronts the ILBer's are going to have to be better vs. the run. Watching Wahle's game reviews, Walker and Campbell were not good at triggering vs. runs between the tackles. They would often be "catching" instead of attacking blockers 3-5 yards off the LOS.

Here's where I do think they have to turn Quay into something like Parsons. Quay is fast, reasonably strong, and has quickness. Why put him way behind the LOS to wait for guys to get to him or make him run up to them? Get him closer to the LOS, send him after guys, let him blitz as well, and let him run down ballcarriers trying to get outside.

I always had the feeling Barry said, "This is the scheme. You're going to play here because I need one of those, no matter what your strengths and weaknesses are. And then when you miss, I'll blame you as being out of position." Square peg, round hole, and all that.

According to Rob Demovsky

The Packers have the last major piece to the new defensive staff now in place. Former Chargers DC Derrick Ansley will be the new pass game coordinator, per a source. There will likely be a few quality control or assistant position coaches added but all key positions are filled.

Former Packer fan favorite Myles White.

I realize that GB has suddenly become a desired destination given all the young talant, but it looks to be a good staff:

• Jason Rebrovich, DL: Outside LB coach in GB last year
  • Vince Oghobaase, asst DL: from Hafley's DL staff, sacks jumped from 1.67 to 2.25 under him; two years as Niners assistant DL; at UCLA in his second year they cut .5 yards ave. off opponents' rushing, and sacks went from 11 to 26
  • Anthony Campanile, LBs: up for DC for the Giants
  • Ryan Downard, S/DBs: stays in GB, will focus on safeties
  • Derrick Ansley, CBs: up for DC with Giants, Chargers non-playcalling DC but after Staley was fired, he called plays for the final three games giving up 17.7 pts/game (24.6 in the 14 games prior); started coaching DBs under Nick Saban

If this staff produces as well as its pedigree suggests, the D may finally begin match potential to production.

On the offensive side, as a UDFA, Myles White will add some good experience and desire to the young WRs. He was with GB last year for two months as part of the diversity program. Sean Mannion as Clements' understudy is an inspired choice; many say the only reason he was employed as a player was because of how smert he is, plus he was on the Rams' roster when MLF was OC there. He becomes Clements' heir apparent, as the coming year may be Clements' last one.

It also begs to wonder how much control MLF had over the D staff to date. If he's willing to do a whole-hog makeover this year, does that mean Murphy/Gute kept really tight control over who MLF hired/fired in the past and they now trust MLF more? Or, is MLF feeling a whole lot more confident in his own abilities after having such good success without Rodgers?

@Boris posted:

Do they have a Satriale's Market in SE Wisconsin? Campanelli could have come from "The Sopranos" cast.

@Fandame posted:

Here's where I do think they have to turn Quay into something like Parsons. Quay is fast, reasonably strong, and has quickness. Why put him way behind the LOS to wait for guys to get to him or make him run up to them? Get him closer to the LOS, send him after guys, let him blitz as well, and let him run down ballcarriers trying to get outside.

Where do you think Walker ends up in this defense?  I actually have no idea if he's MLB, WLB, or OLB.  Honestly it's been so long since we've been a 4-3 I've kind of forgot the requirements of each LB position. 

Quay played spy vs. Bears to make sure Fields didn't run all over the place.

That worked very well and a lot of us called for it before that Bear game.

More of that please.

Wherever he plays, I don't want to see him in the old CMIII role where he just rushed the passer all the time. That worked for a bit, but running up into those big guys all the time took its toll by the end of each year on CMIII. If Hafley plays the 4-3 more like a 5-2, then I'd like to see Quay at one of the 2 LB positions. His job would vary: he could rush the QB, or cover a RB or TE (he's pretty fast), play spy as needed, or drop into coverage. One thing's for sure: he's more versatile than Smith, so he shouldn't be doing the same thing all the time. Make the QB have to account for him on every play.

@R MaN posted:

Probably the right move but I thought they might keep Savage (and maybe Nixon too).

Those 2 guys could  be back depending how everything else shakes out in FA/Draft

I thought Nixon would be a good fit as back-up nickle and back up Safety as well as top KR. That would allow GB to keep (4) corners, (4) Safeties and have Nixon as the 5th DB for both positions.

@H5 posted:

Hill with a Masters in Applied Kinesiology-Sport and Exercise Science. Certainly has the education needed to succeed.

I hope his Masters thesis was in the proper care and maintenance of hamstrings.

@H5 posted:

Hill with a Masters in Applied Kinesiology-Sport and Exercise Science. Certainly has the education needed to succeed.

My ex girlfriend had a degree in kinesiology from Carrol College in Waukesha.    She worked at a 24 hour fitness and now she teaches 2nd grade.  

@Iowacheese posted:

Yeah...still no match for the Curves. Pickle juice dumdums around here.

Says the dumdum who thinks he knows more about COVID vaccines that the experts.

Guys, please don't politicize this. I don't care what you think about the vaccine. I just want to pick on IC.

Last edited by Goalline

Why don’t you guys drop the act and just admit that you are in love with each other.

Guys, please don't politicize this. I don't care what you think about the vaccine. I just want to pick on everyone.

Last edited by Benzene

Gutey gonna get himself a top tier FA...IMO. Up to $50M available if they want.

Last edited by Boris

Derrick Ansley
is now the DB Coach / passing game coordinator for Hafley and this is a write-up on one of his pupils from the Chargers.

Safety Alohi Gilman is a free agent and the comments are from former GM Randy Mueller via The Athletic.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Satori
@Satori posted:

Derrick Ansley
is now the DB Coach / passing game coordinator for Hafley and this is a write-up on one of his pupils from the Chargers.

Safety Alohi Gilman is a free agent and the comments are from former GM Randy Mueller via The Athletic.

He's a Naval Academy guy, so you know he's smart, and he went on to play really well at Notre Dame.

@Boris posted:

Gutey gonna get himself a top tier FA...IMO. Up to $50M available if they want.

Or a fat extension for #10.

Ummmm.....ok 🫡

Well then....I expect to see him return to All-Pro form

Last edited by Boris

If he was still able to play at an All-Pro level, he'd be on this team in this new defense.

In the NFL....your career can fall off a cliff very quickly. It sucks and wish the guys could all play for 15-20 years. It's just not reality.

Rasul backs his boy....as expected. These guys are good peeps. Wish we could keep them all.

Of course Devondre will look like Fred Warner in that Niner defense now

Rasul's career was largely because Gutey took a risk on him. Packers paid Campbell well for a couple seasons and had one good year from him.

Both got paid because of the Packers so if they are disgruntled, so be it. More clowns for the circus.

@Benzene posted:

.  Now I’m glad he’s gone.

I get what you're saying....but what I had been saying since before start of 2023 was Barry not putting guys in best positions to succeed. Follow the scheme.....follow the scheme.....

Sometimes as a coach you need to understand what works well for the player and (GASP) ADJUST your scheme to get maximum results. This is what a good coach does!

It sounds to me like Hafley is going to do exactly what I just said.

We'll see on Sundays this year 😉

@Boris posted:

If he was still able to play at an All-Pro level, he'd be on this team in this new defense.

In the NFL....your career can fall off a cliff very quickly. It sucks and wish the guys could all play for 15-20 years. It's just not reality.

You really want to see 15 years of AJ Hawk or Ahmad Carroll? 

Hey, I can't blame Campbell for saying he and Quay weren't in the right spots and looked lost. We all said the same thing all year long. But, Campbell has to take some ownership for his attitude, lack of speed, and missing tackles. If he had the ability to do what Hafley is going to ask of the LBs, Campbell would still be in GB.

@Fandame posted:

Hey, I can't blame Campbell for saying he and Quay weren't in the right spots and looked lost. We all said the same thing all year long. But, Campbell has to take some ownership for his attitude, lack of speed, and missing tackles. If he had the ability to do what Hafley is going to ask of the LBs, Campbell would still be in GB.

This is the difference between Quay and Campbell.  Campbell went on a rant on Twitter and took his ball and went home.  Quay kept it professional and just played ball.  They were in the same situation, but Quay acted like a man and De'Vondre acted like a child.

This reminds me of an exchange Quay had with a reporter last season:

Reporter: Lots of people on social media taking jabs at the defense.

Quay: Yeah I don't pay attention to Twitter and all that, I'm just focused on work and getting better.

Reporter: Seems like De'Vondre pays a lot of attention to Twitter.

Quay: Yeah, and that's the problem.

@pkr_north posted:

imagine if brock bowers is there in rd1 and we take him...that's bordering on not fair...like the tush push.

Welcome to the use of 13 personnel being wildly used in the NFL for the next 5 years.

@Chongo posted:

Former Fresno State Bulldog Todd Hunt! Hand-Picked to work for former Badger Joey Boese at one point!

How does he feel about pickle juice to solve all that  ails?  

Not to rain on the sophomoric parade, but I actually grew up and went to school with a Mike Hunt. Died in a deer hunting accident when he was about 19. Real tragedy...he was a hell of a good young man.

Thanks, Goldie Krete!

Sorry, KK, I couldn't resist. This was posted in the 'Christian Watson' thread some days back.

But, I have a thought on Watson's hammies.
I think he should consider taking ballet lessons. Lynn Swann and Herschel Walker did, and I'd say they had good results.
Nothing to lose, and can't hurt to try.
So.... yeah!

This one seemed like a no brainer. Rugby banned this tackle because it was so dangerous. NFL said it was 20-25 times more likely to cause an injury than a regular tackle. No idea if that's accurate but watching a hip drop tackle in full speed, hard to argue it causes a significantly higher rate of injury. Owners just don't want to see their $20m WR go down with season ending injury. WRs fuel fantasy football and gambling, which seem to be driving most of the interest in the NFL these days.

People seem up in arms about calling it on the field properly but it seems pretty straightforward to me. NFL refs seem to call the horse collar tackle correctly, so why would a hip drop tackle be so much harder?

Last edited by CUPackFan

Players, coaches, fans, announcers, pundits, etc. will all be in agreement when a clear "hip-drop tackle" is called a penalty.

Players, coaches, fans, announcers, pundits, etc. will all be in agreement when it's clear a tackle was NOT a "hip-drop tackle" is called a NOT penalty.

Players, coaches, fans, announcers, pundits, etc. will all go ape shit when there's a grey area hip-drop tackle and it's called "improperly".....just like "not obvious" PI, roughing face masks, etc.

@Goalline posted:

Don’t necessarily disagree with this rule change, but man it is tough playing defense in this league.

So when a defender grabs and twists them into the ground....Is this allowed?? Seattle does this and so do the Packers sometimes.

Honestly, they should just play flag football. No tackling at all

@Pikes Peak posted:

I predict fans will love the new rule when their team benefits from it and hate when it goes against them.

I’m the new president of the NFL Sadists Club, and we just formed a motion to censure your post.

@mrtundra posted:

Owners ban Hip-Drop tackle. The fine will be 15 yards and an automatic 1st Down.

Thumbs down to this new rule/penalty, not you personally.

It's hard to not acknowledge the 'intent', player safety, blah, blah, blah.
I just see it as something that will be called wildly inconsistent as are RTP, PI, or other calls that are subject to a refs interpretation.

In any case, we all ("me") had better learn to recognize these tackles, and how  they are called. The coaches better get a handle on this ASAP. Ditto the players.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.