Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Now that was a BAD man...

1958 Packers Draft.

Dan Currie, Jim Taylor, Jerry Kramer, Ray Nitschke. year 3 of a 3 year draft stretch that also produced Hornung, Starr, and Gregg.

Thanks Jack!
Yup. I spoke with a lot of D-Day veterans when I was working on the Honor Flight program, and many of them said that the opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan" was as real as it could get on film.

God bless them. We'll never see their like again.

By the way... for those interested in the Honor Flight program, watch the documentary. It's excellent.

Honor Flight -- One Last Mission
quote:
Originally posted by StarrToDowler:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair Kiel:
The best movie ever made.

Period.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

And it lost the Best Picture Oscar to something called "Shakespeare in Love." Can you believe that???

Hollywood is stupid. How Argo won the Oscar over Silver Linings Playbook this year still has be shaking my head. OF course I cannot stand Ben Aflect so maybe I am just biased.

Several scenes in Saving Private Ryan get to me but none more than the one where the chaplain arrives to tell the mother her sons were killed and she collapses on the porch. No words were spoken but what a great scene. I cannot even type about it without getting misty eyed. Great Movie.
Great thread. Nitschke and D-Day. Lot's to appreciate.

Enduring love of Saving Private Ryan. It recognized the sacrifice paid without glorifying war. There were no "hero's", only men following orders trying to survive doing a job that needed to be done. The scene where Hanks talked about not knowing Ryan, not caring about Ryan. But if rescuing him helped him get back to his family, then he needed to finish his mission. The scene where General Marshall reads the letter to Mrs Bixbey from Abraham Lincoln gets me every time, especially when he recites the last 1/4 of the letter from memory.

6/6 indeed!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.