Game of Thrones is coming back Sunday. Arya Stark better kick ass and win the Iron Throne or I will throw my TV through a wall.
Not everybody likes this show. But, it got me thinking about the best TV series of all time. So, Friday's Manufactured Content is this: What are your 3 favorite TV Comedy Series and your 3 favorite Non Comedy Series?
Non-Comedy (God this is so hard to get to 3)
1. Breaking Bad The best written, best acted, best filmed piece of art I've ever seen. Season One is "weaker" than the rest of the series, but I'd put that one series up against anything and it would fair well.
2. Mad Men I worked in Marketing and Advertising so, it naturally had some affinity. Just started rewatching this again, and if anything I'm finding it better than I originally thought. Probably will be a divisive choice as I find people love love love this or they find it horribly pretentious. DOOOOONNNNN'TTTT CARE. And, I will argue with anyone that the center of the show is really Peggy.
3. Better Call Saul I'm a sucker for Vince Gilligan, what can I say. I'm actually starting to debate whether this is better than Breaking Bad. I'm kinda thinking - I think this show is better, but the experience of Breaking Bad is better? Meaning, Breaking Bad was so unlike anything and sitting through it was so amazing that it can't be topped. But i'm starting to think BCS is a better show? I don't know.
Honorable Mention - Sopranos, The Wire, GoT, Season 1 of Twin Peaks, Fargo, Deadwood, Justified, Oz Man, getting to 3 is hard. I could swap out BCS with any of these and feel good.
Comedy (THIS IS NUTS)
1. Arrested Development (Seasons 1-3 only) There has never been a better run of comedy than these 3 seasons. The pace, the characters, the depths of the jokes, the callbacks, I mean. It's literally insane. A Red Hand Chair in season 1 to Season 2 of Buster's Loose Seal. Buster saying in the first 3 episodes that a party was OFF THE HOOK. GOB. Just fukking GOB. I can't view seasons 4 and 5 outside of my belief of seasons 1-3, so I'm really struggling to understand whether they are good or not. I KNOW they are not even close to 1-3, but I have no idea if they are good in the general terms.
2. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia It's crazy that they've pumped out 12 years of this and they keep it fresh and new enough that it's not just variations of the same thing. The cast is perfect. I would watch 30 minutes of Sweet Dee almost throwing up. WILD CARD BITCHES.
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm I can't get enough of this show. I know that cringe humor is not everyone's cup of tea, but man, it's so so good. I would watch 30 minutes of Susie screaming expletives at Larry.
Honorable Mention - Veep, The Good Place, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Community, The Office, Brooklyn 99, Seinfeld, Reno 911, Good lord so many good ones
So, let's here it. Top 3 comedy. Top 3 non comedy.