Skip to main content

Maxi54 posted:

Reminds me of a hilarious parody song I heard years ago. It was sung to the melody of, "Ebony and Ivory" by Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney and it went something like this:

Eddie Lee Ivery....Side by side with Harlan Huckleby...In the backfield behind Lynn Dickey...

I doubt if that's even right but it went something like that. I wish I could remember where in the heck I saw or heard it because it was pretty funny.

Might have been "singing packer highlights".  I was too young to recall the group that put them together but during at least one season in the early/mid 80's, they wrote and recorded a little song recapping the highlights on monday mornings after sunday games.  Very obscure - not even google knows anything about it.

A friend pointed me to the "Green Bay Packers: Trials, Triumphs, and Tradition" book I didn't have, so bought it and just got done reading the passages that covered 1968 - 1991. Very good insights, but crushingly depressing. God how I wish we could dramatically re-write Packer history for that almost 25 year timespan with just a handful of changed decisions and little better luck. Here's my top 10:

[1] Devine not taking the play calling away from Bart Starr in the '72 playoff game against the Redskins
[2] Devine not drafting Jerry Tagge with a high #1 pick
[3] Devine not trading for John Hadl or Jim Del Gaizo
[4] Starr not trading away Ted Hendricks
[5] Instead of Charles Johnson and Rich Campbell, Starr drafting Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott
[6] Eddie Lee Ivery not getting hit foot caught in that Soldier Field turf -- twice
[7] Starr not trading for John Jefferson
[8] Starr being able to convince Bruce Clark not to go to Canada and Mike Butler not to go to the USFL
[9] Starr using his timeouts at the end of the last game in '83 at Chicago
[10] Packers not hiring Forrest Gregg or Lindy Infante, and instead hiring Ron Wolf the first time they interviewed him years earlier than '91 by offering him the complete control they ended up giving him the second time around

Nice to imagine for a moment what might have been.  Would you guys suggest swapping any of my top 10 out for another?  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.