Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

bad idea, Gonzo was an adequate bat at short, horrible at first even as a spot starting utility guy. I'd like to see reps at second and third, so he can move around the diamond as a defensive sub, but first doesn't make sense.

I think it is more likely Melvin finds a RH bat to cover 1st, with Gamel getting most of the AB's. Unless injured, Gamel should play everyday.
He's light years ahead of Ishii who was the backup to Gamel before the injury.

Seems like a logical choice against very tough lefties in spot starting duty. Gamel isn't the greatest with the glove either so he maybe could be a defensive replacement if he actually is comfortable there.

I would like to see the other bat off the bench be a LH hitting OF.
footwork at first is very different than the footwork anywhere else on the field. Lets not pretend it is an easy transition. OF to first is a better move for that reason.

Light years in what way? Ish was left handed (Gonzo is right handed, look it up). I guarantee Ish is a better defender. Backups are all about roles, and as the left handed compliment to Hart, Ish worked (and I didn't like Ish at all). A right handed Ish would be perfect.
AGonz is a much better hitter than Ishii and a perfect complement to the left-handed Gamel. Note that Ishii was brought in to back up Gamel initially which didn't make sense to me at all since he was also left-handed.

Ishii is for sure a better defender but 1B is the easiest postion to learn in the infield. AGonz is a good defender and I have no doubt he would do fine in a backup role at 1B. Not sure what OF footwork has to do with playing 1B. Also, I'm sure you have noticed that players who weren't very fielders to begin with and as they get older, often move to 1B.
Last edited by "We"-Ka-Bong
Ish was a horrible hitter all around, but he was a left handed first basemen. Gonzo would be a horrible hitting shortstop playing 1st base. Ish hit righties better, Gonzo lefties better, but not a whole hell of a lot different in that neither was very good.

Putting Gonzo at first base takes away what makes him valuable, and that is defense. Jean needs to get the majority of starts, Gonzo needs to be the backup utility guy. A right handed bat who can play first, and probably back up an OF spot would help the team more than Gonzo playing at first.
Who is this person?

I think you need a LH OF bat because I still do not trust GoGo every day. He had his best year because he was in the position to succeed most of the time.

A guy in the mold of maybe an Edmonds they signed a couple years ago would be perfect against tough righties. You sit GoGo, move Aoki to CF and play that guy in right.

I also love that AGonz will be able to play all four positions and then you open up your options for the LH OF bench player.

Best case scenario in all this is Gamel proves he is an everyday player and Hart can sub occasionally at 1B against tough lefties. GoGo and Aoki platoon in CF with Hart in right most days. That gives them a very nice bench.
Narv

Narveson said his surgically-repaired shoulder was completely healed and he was a full, unrestricted participant in the Brewers’ starting rotation derby. The only thing notable about his bullpen session on Wednesday was the trio of athletic trainers watching intently.

Excellent news. Narv would make an excellent 5th starter,. I didn't expect him until June.
The K-Mart Group

From left to right, the four pitchers were Mike Fiers, Brandon Kintzler, John Axford and Jim Henderson. "That's the 'K-Mart Group,'" said Groch.

"We put less than $5,000 into all four of them," said Groch, a former Yankees scout responsible for signing Derek Jeter. "That's pretty good, especially considering what they've done."

Now that's pretty impressive...
I would love to see this guy stick!!!

Big Michael Olmsted turns some heads
By Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel
Feb. 20, 2013

Phoenix -- There was a good deal of energy on one of the back diamonds at the Milwaukee Brewers' Maryvale complex early Wednesday afternoon, despite the cold, cloudy, drizzly conditions.

That's because big Michael Olmsted was on the mound, throwing live batting practice to hitters.

Based on just physical appearance, Olmstead is intimidating enough. The Brewers list him at 6 feet 6 inches and 245 pounds, but it's a safe bet he tips the scales at around 270.

Please do not post articles in there entirety. Provide a link so people can read the article from the source.
Carlos Gomez got his spring off to a good, if unusual, start by drawing a walk in the intrasquad game and two more on Saturday. Gomez told Tom Haudricourt he's working on his plate discipline, and offered this quote: "I'd like my on-base percentage to be .350. If they walk me, I can steal second and third and score even without (someone getting) a base hit."

Wouldn't that be something? You go GoGo!

NOTE: Quote courtesy of BrewCrewBall.com. Please stop trying to derail threads.
just saw it on the bottom line. Apparently the Mets want him to focus the next 3 weeks on strengthening his arm. Makes sense because the last two years he developed shoulder weakness in spring training and we had to shut him down

Info courtesy of BFan. I was a proponent of bringing him back. Sounds like it was a good idea to pass...at least for now...
I assume you are talking about Marcum.

link

Feb 27 Marcum will not start for the Mets for the next two weeks, instead he will long-toss to build strength in his shoulder, the team's official website reports.

Recommendation: An elbow injury sidelined Marcum last year for two months and this is the first time a weak shoulder was mentioned for him this spring. He is expected to start again in mid-March, but that date likely is dependent on how the shoulder responds. Lower him in your pre-season pitching rankings.
link

An MRI scan of third baseman Aramis Ramirez’s left knee came back negative, meaning there is no structural damage in the joint. But he will have to miss some time, Roenicke said. Ramirez was hurt sliding into second base on Saturday.

Yovani Gallardo, dealing with a right groin strain since his last start, threw a successful bullpen session on Sunday morning. So he is still on track to pitch for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic.
Crosby's Comeback

"Crosby's agent is Paul Cohen, and Crosby is not the first Cohen client to move into a locker at Maryvale Baseball Park and mount a comeback.

That's no coincidence.

"I'm not a believer in coincidences, anyway," Cohen said from his office in California. "I think everything happens for a reason."

In 2008, Cohen client Gabe Kapler returned from a season managing in the Minor Leagues to sign with the Brewers. He won a job in camp and batted .301 before an injury ended his season. Two years later, Jim Edmonds made a similar comeback after using a year away to recover from leg injuries. He started in right field for the Brewers on Opening Day."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.