Skip to main content

Segura

Segura's speed certainly doesn't take a back seat to his stellar hitting ability. Above-average Major League-quality defense, sufficient arm strength and throwing accuracy are all part of his game. That current lack of raw power may be the only thing that keeps Segura from being a true five-tool player. Whenever I have scouted him, at least two or more of his abilities show up. Often times Segura displays multiple talents, which I was fortunate to witness in the 2011 Arizona Fall League.
Harang

With scouts from the Brewers and Orioles watching, Dodgers starter Aaron Harang threw three scoreless innings in a Minor League game Monday at Camelback Ranch.

As one of eight Dodgers starting pitchers with guaranteed contracts for 2013, Harang nonetheless is in a position of fighting for a job this year, despite a solid '12 season in which he went 10-10 with a 3.61 ERA and 179 2/3 innings.

Harang has emerged as a likely trade piece if and when the Dodgers deal from their pitching surplus. He's proven durable with a relatively modest contract ($5 million this year, a mutual option for 2014 at $8 million or a $2 million buyout) that should be appealing to a club in need of veteran starting pitching.
To me, Segura would be a pretty good #2 guy in the lineup because he can put the ball in play, get on base, and with his speed he can steal some bases. You might even be able to make a case he's their leadoff guy.

Aoki kind of has the same kind of offensive game and that's good with me because with guys like Braun and Ramirez and Hart and Weeks that can hit the HR they need guys in front of them to set the table so they can get maximum benefit from those extra base hits.
You must be talking down the line a few years because IMO, when you have Aoki and Weeks at the top right now, having Segura down in the last 1/3 of the lineup shows how awesome your offense can be.
If Weeks doesn't pull another 2012 start having Segura/Gomez on ahead of him is a bonus most teams do not have.

The combo of Speed and Power up and down this lineup is monsterous.

If we stay relatively injury free and get ANY kind of pitching (bullpen and otherwise), we are gonna be right there in September.

Go frickin Crew Go !
I know that sometimes spring training stats can be a little misleading, but so far the Brewers bullpen (minus Axford) has looked pretty good. Kinzler, Henderson, Badenhop, Gorzelanny, possibly Hellwig have pitched well. Figaro- a guy that was basically vying for a roster spot- has been lights out and he might be in the mix as well.

The other guy that has had a nice spring is Khris Davis. He's always had good power but he's hitting over .300 which is encouraging.
I'm very excited about Davis. With Hart out, the Crew will be losing quite a bit of power initially. Maybe Davis makes the team out of spring training and the Crew rolls with a soft platoon in CF/RF with Aoki, GoGo and Davis.

That being said, I highly doubt this happens as they likely don't want to burn up service time. Wouldn't surprise me to see Davis in the lineup later in the year with Aoki/GoGo platooning in CF (have your heard that comment before? Smiler).
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
I'm very excited about Davis. With Hart out, the Crew will be losing quite a bit of power initially. Maybe Davis makes the team out of spring training and the Crew rolls with a soft platoon in CF/RF with Aoki, GoGo and Davis.

That being said, I highly doubt this happens as they likely don't want to burn up service time. Wouldn't surprise me to see Davis in the lineup later in the year with Aoki/GoGo platooning in CF (have your heard that comment before? Smiler).

Watched Chris a few times at maryvale, Aoki and GoGo are better fielders by a longshot.

IMO, Chris is the next in line should Braun get the hammer by MLB. Other than that he'll sit until someone got injured. During that time, see if he can hit MLB pitching when it matters.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/b...for-biogenesis-links
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that our very young starting rotation (except for Yo and Narvy) isn't exactly burning it up this spring??? Not really any of them. Sure, they have a nice outing once in a while, but even a blind squirrel gets a nut evey now and again.

The Brewer front office is trying to save a little money this season keeping the payroll down but with this pitching staff as it currently sits has me very worried.
I'm not worried about the pitchers. As long as they come out of the shoot ready to go, throwing strikes, I'll be happy. My hope is that this year the last week of spring training Ron plays his starters deeper into the game so that when the season starts these guys are ready to go. I'm excited for the season to start. I saw lots of good things at Spring Training this year.
Another thing you can bet on is that owner Mark Attanasio was a driving force in this move. Attanasio has remained in contact with agent Scott Boras and there has been dickering going on back and forth as to the price.
The Brewers are believed to have wanted to do a two-year deal for about $10 million a year but Boras wanted more than that. At the outset of the winter, before the market collapsed somewhat on Lohse, Boras was seeking a four-year deal for about $15 million per year.

Brewers wanted $20MM over 2 years, Boras wanted $60MM over 4 years, agreed on $33MM over 3 years. Good job Mark Attanasio - getting Boras to move that far doesn't happen much.

All Brewer fans please remove the memory of the last older, successful Cardinal pitcher to join the team......
I had an inkling this was going to go down with Lohse.

The thread has been purged but I said the Crew would make a run at Kyle.

It's the last week of ST and none of the kids have stepped up and Attanasio doesn't want this season to tank before it gets going.

None of the kids have thrown over 150 innings in a season in the minors except maybe Peralta, but with all the injuries, the Crew just can't depend on any of them to take the ball every 5 days.

It was just a matter of time before Mark ponied up the coin.
Last edited by Tuna

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.