Skip to main content

quote:
Datko of strong body and mind following tough rookie season
jsonline.com

by Tom Silverstein on Saturday, May 11th, 2013

One of the last things to come around was Datko's confidence in his left shoulder, which took a major hit when he had to spend most of last off-season continuing his rehab and wasn't as strong as he wanted to be when the season rolled around.

The 2012 seventh-round pick has come a long way and just looking at him with his shirt off in the locker room during a break in rookie orientation camp, it's obvious he has made tremendous gains in the weight room. He said he began to get his confidence back around Week 4 last year while serving on the practice squad and now he's back where he should have been last year.

"It's like what (Chicago Bulls guard) Derrick Rose went through. You might be healthy, but you might still be favoring it. Trust in your injury repair is another step in the process. I’ve knocked that out."

Because of his practice squad status, Datko is allowed to take part in the rookie camp. The coaches have him working at left guard instead of his natural left tackle position, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll wind up there.

Offensive line coach James Campen likes his linemen to know at least two positions and Datko could very well end up knowing four by the time training camp rolls around. continue

quote:
Healthy Datko working at guard
Green Bay Press Gazette

by Pete Dougherty on Saturday, May 11th, 2013

“I feel real good at guard,” he said. “It’s good. You have to shorten everything down at guard, because it’s one step here, one step there. As a tackle you’re kicking three steps, so I’ve got to put my mind, clear everything back a little bit.”

“(The shoulder) is not even a question,” he said. “I’m kind of knocking people when they keep asking me, don’t even worry about it, even the doctors, they don’t even worry about it anymore. It’s a gorilla off my back." continue
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Packers rookies willing and able to shift spots
packers.com

by Mike Spofford on Saturday, May 11th, 2013

Fourth-round offensive linemen David Bakhtiari and JC Tretter started workouts on Friday at left and right tackle, respectively, then flip-flopped for Saturday’s second practice, as Head Coach Mike McCarthy suggested they would.

The need to adapt also extended to practice-squad holdover Andrew Datko, who played offensive tackle during his rookie season but was lining up at guard this weekend.

“We’re just trying it out,” Datko said. “They only dress so many on gameday, so the more versatile you are, the better.”
continue

quote:
Tretter opens at RT but still could move inside
Green Bay Press Gazette

by on Saturday, May 11th, 2013

“All I know is they’re going to move me around a little bit and see where I fit best,” Tretter said. “I’m just learning all the positions and I’ll go from there.”

Teams told Tretter there’s a good chance he’ll be an interior lineman in the NFL, so in his offseason training he supplemented work at tackle by learning techniques to play guard and center from former NFL center Dave Wohlabaugh.
continue
quote:
Packers QB B.J. Coleman making strides in Year 2
jsonline.com

by Tyler Dunne on Saturday, May 11th, 2013

He'll laugh about it now. But this time last year, B.J. Coleman was a quarterback in the headlights. There were times the 2012 seventh-round pick admits he walked up to the line of scrimmage and forgot the play.

"The first day you get pushed in there in minicamp and you’re going, ‘OK, the play is as long as a piece of notebook paper and then you call it — after three times, you get it right — you get to the line and you’re like ‘Man, what did I just say?'"

In Year 2, Coleman says "there's no comparison."

So this week, Coleman is the one helping everyone else out. He's trying to take it upon himself to help the linemen with protections, receivers with routes and anyone who may be forgetting plays. Granted, he's playing against several players who won't be around in September. But on Friday, Coleman split the safeties on one throw deep and also connected on some medium-to-deep out routes. This time, undrafted pick-up Matt Brown was the quarterback sailing passes high and turning the wrong way on play-action.

For Coleman, one specific emphasis has been to be more fluid. Blessed with a rocket arm, he was robotic at times in practice last year.

"That’s my thing," Coleman said. "I’m trying to be a little more looser. Not a stiff. Relax out there and get the football out and distribute it where it needs to go.” continue
Past the click there's video of a locker room interview with Coleman.
I'm really interested in Coleman's development. I think he is the type of guy that will need another year at least to put it altogether but could be a Matt Flynn type of guy with a better arm. Definitely seems to have those leadership qualities. Shine that turd up MM!
quote:
Originally posted by Henry:
I'm really interested in Coleman's development.

Same. Kid has a great arm, was just raw in his rookie year.

MM also has high hopes for Sean Richardson at safety it seems. Could be a player flying way under the radar that GB hopes will have a strong camp. Might be one reason Packers didn't take a S in the draft.
One thing about TT and MM is that the history is there and every player knows there's a legitimate shot to make the team. I always look forward to a relatively obscure player coming out of nowhere to make the cut, like Moses did last year.
I've went to one TC practice each of the last two years. it's amazing how much the guys that have "it" stand out just that one bit more than the rest of the amazing athletes. not that any of these guys are draft steals or gems but in one practice a casual observer like myself could tell they belonged. no names I thought would make the team in the last two years based on one TC practice: So'oto, Van Roten, Dezman Moses. and I was impressed as anyone by Coleman's arm - he's just gotta get the footwork down and relax. if Coleman gets enough reps in preseason he could be Mr. August.
Last edited by Tdog
Video:
MM Post Rookie Camp Presser: One of our better rookie camps

Sunday, May 12th, 2012

quote:
Right side of Packers line cleared for competition
packers.com

By Vic Ketchman on Sunday, May 12th, 2012

Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy concluded the team’s rookie camp weekend by talking about his decision to move Bryan Bulaga and Josh Sitton from right tackle and right guard respectively, to the two positions on the left side of the Packers offensive line.

Obviously, last season’s starting left tackle, Marshall Newhouse, and starting left guard, T.J. Lang, are being forced to win the tackle and guard spots Bulaga and Sitton are vacating, but they’ll be facing competition.

“The offensive line is your biggest position group every year. We still don’t have a feel for how we’re going rep these guys. We’re committed to give every player a chance to win a job,” McCarthy said.

When asked about the status of former Packers defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, who’s attempting to reenter the league following a couple of troubled years, McCarthy said: “Johnny is not here currently. He’s still going through the process. When he is here, I’ll speak on it more.” continue
quote:
Mike McCarthy on rookie camp, OL changes, Pease, OLB's
jsonline.com

--- Again, McCarthy made a point to mention Kansas State RB Angelo Pease as a player who stood out at rookie camp. Pease only had 60 carries last fall for 333 yards and no touchdowns. But in Green Bay, where Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin were the second- and fourth-round picks, the undrafted Pease has caught the eye of his coach.

"I'm going to do it to him again, I thought Pease of Kansas State had a very good weekend," McCarthy said. "He had another run today. I think he's a good young back. ...He’s here for a reason. So that’s a credit to the player and that’s a credit to our personnel department. You’re also practicing in helmets and shorts and that’s why you have to be practical about what you saw today. It really confirms movement ability, athletic ability. Are they systematic? Do they fit what you’re looking for? continue
MM also mentioned Franklin showed ability in handling punt and kick returns and that he was impressed with OLB Nate Palmer's catching skills in the throwing phase of practice.
quote:
Packers begin signing tryout players
Green Bay Press Gazette

by Weston Hodkiewicz and Pete Dougherty on Sunday, May 12th, 2013

The Packers have started the process of signing tryout players following this weekend’s rookie orientation camp.

Press-Gazette Media has confirmed two of the signings thus far in Illinois State wide receiver Tyrone Walker and Washington fullback Jonathan Amosa.

Amosa (5-11, 233), whose signing was confirmed by his agent Marcus D. Williams, becomes the third fullback on the Packers roster, joining veteran John Kuhn and Texas undrafted rookie Ryan Roberson.

The Baltimore Sun’s Aaron Wilson is also reporting the Packers have signed Arizona State cornerback Brandon Smith. continue
Past the click how many slots they have left to stay under the 90 limit and how many they signed last year.
Last edited by titmfatied
quote:
Tweets:
Packer Update
Keep an eye on rookie Sam Barrington - one of the few ILBs on the roster who actually played the position in college.

Packer Update
The more I watch Don Barclay play, the more convinced I become that he has the potential to be a really good RG.

Packer Update
EDS, Lang and Newhouse/Barclay/Sherrod/Bakhtiari doesn't excite me. Lang, Barclay and Newhouse/Sherrod/Bakhtiari is much more appealing.

Packer Update
Packers keep signing smallish fullbacks who run like offensive linemen. Amosa weighed 237 pounds at his Pro Day and ran a 4.93.
Undrafted, but not unwanted

quote:
“That’s one of the key points they told us. Just because I didn’t get drafted high – I didn’t get drafted at all – that doesn’t mean I can’t make the roster,” said undrafted free agent running back Angelo Pease, who caught McCarthy’s eye on several occasions during the three-day camp. “I get a fair opportunity just like all the other people get. I see what (McCarthy) said. He said your college stuff doesn’t matter. It’s a whole other level now. What you do here will determine the outcome.”

There were probably better opportunities for Pease out there considering the Packers drafted two RBs high. I'm rooting for him.
quote:
Originally posted by Henry:
Tretter working at tackle. WTF?

Just a guess, but it's probably because tackle reps will be hard to come by after the rookie OTA's are over, and they just want to see how he looks there. He'll probably get most of his reps after this on the interior.
Interesting point made by one of the guys over at Acme Trading:

quote:
What Can be Expected of Packers QB B.J. Coleman in Year Two?
acmepackingcompany.com

by By Jason Hirschhorn on May 13, 2013

Another factor in determining Coleman's role is practice squad eligibility. Because Coleman has yet to register a single game on the active list, he's still qualified for another season on the practice squad. Harrell on the other hand was active for all 16 games in 2012. Accordingly, he'd be unable to join the practice squad if released. That means that unless the Packers decide to carry three quarterbacks in 2013, choosing Coleman over Harrell would result in the latter's departure. Thus, the decision boils down to a choice between having one backup quarterback or two. Given the conservative nature of the Packers' front office and the three years already invested in Harrell, it would take a tremendous training camp and preseason for Coleman to assume the backup role. That's probably too much to expect from a second year player, especially one that's only just now grasping Green Bay's offense.continue
quote:
Packers Sign Rookie Linebacker Donte Savage
acmepackingcompany.com

Wes Hodkiewicz of the Press-Gazette confirmed this report, so that brings the total number of players on the roster back up to 87.

Here are some of Savage's numbers from New Mexico State's Pro Day in late March:

6'1, 247 pounds
40 time: 4.80
Bench press: 20 reps at 225 pounds
Vertical: 32.5"
Broad Jump: 9'6"

Savage played in all 12 of the Aggies' games in 2012, posting three sacks, seven tackles for loss, and two blocked kicks while playing defensive end. He sat out the 2011 season on a medical redshirt but in his junior year of 2010 he posted another three sacks to go along with two forced fumbles. His sophomore year of 2009 was actually his most impressive statistically, as he put up six sacks, two forced fumbles, and a blocked punt.

Apparently a solid weekend in Green Bay has earned Savage a spot on the Packers' 90-man roster for the time being, and he will have the chance to show his skills again next Monday when OTAs begin.
continue
quote:
Originally posted by Grave Digger:
If Rodgers is hurt then the Packers are screwed either way. Coleman at least has the arm to play in the NFL...Harrell belongs in the Arena League.

Harrell comes from the Doug Pedersen school of QB'ing. Collect a paycheck as long as the starter in front of you doesn't get hurt. You can make a fabulous career riding on the coattails of a HOF'er. Doug knows best
This is a QB hungry league.

The only way they could "stash" Coleman on the PS, is if he completely flops this August. I find it hard to believe he'll flop. I see him as #2 & Harrell looking for a job.
He has to show enough to prove he can go further than Harrell. I gotta believe Harrell is maxed out at this point but he is a smart guy. It's obvious MM is looking for a guy that can keep the offense functioning by being able to fully implement adjustments that would be needed if Rodgers was out. I would say Coleman needs to exhibit as much grasp of the offense as Harrell as well as mental flexibility/acuity. Physically, it's not even a contest. More about Coleman's noggin than his arm would be my guess.
Coleman can make progress but not enough to claim the #2 job and still have room to grow. It's only his second year and he had serious accuracy issues last year. There's a wide margin between what he was last year and what he needs to be to make the 53. If he doesn't cover that it's reasonable to put him on the practice squad.

They've done the same practice squad move with Harrell when Flynn was here.
IIRC, Harrell was pretty raw still in his second year, and the chatter was about how risky a move this was, etc., etc. So there is some precedent, but Coleman would have to be a major transformation; to the point they would release the #2 QB would be a HUGE step from last year.
I don't know there would be anybody come knocking for Coleman if he goes to PS again this year. There's too many Joe Webbs, Tvarius Jacksons; maybe even a Tim Tebow Eeker and other journeyman QB's--many, if not most/all with game experience--available for similar price and less risk.
JMHO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.