Skip to main content

MM was calling run plays.

MF chose the quick pass option instead, Just like Romo did last week on the Shield interception. MF did it at least 4 times that I counted, probably more,  including the pick 6 play.

Last edited by FreeSafety
Originally Posted by FreeSafety:
Originally Posted by ammo:

If Quarless doesn't run into Flynn that play may have been a TD for Boykin. He was one on one with no safety over the top.  I'd bet that was an audible to that play and Quarless missed the call.

It was the run/pass option deal that the Packers and every other team runs. Watch the OLine....they are all run blocking.

MF went with the pass option at least 4 times today, with very little to show for at....and a pick 6 to boot.

Just RTFB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if the play had gone for a TD or at least a 1st down it was still a bad audible?  You would be cheering what a great call.

Originally Posted by Caveman:
Originally Posted by Va. Packer:

The last pass. I know time expired but what down was it?

Second.

Good grief. Ok. Retract those positive things I said about Flynn.

Last edited by Va. Packer

Mike McCarthy after the game:

I don't know what you can ask Matt Flynn to do at the end of the game. Couldn't have snapped ball sooner with the clock running and the umpire standing there.

Matt Flynn after the game:

Got the penalty (on the last drive), knew the clock was going to run, got everybody lined up, we should have been able to get 2 plays off. I don't know what happened. Operation seemed kind of weird. Ref was holding the center up. No thought to spike ball at the end. Should have gotten 2 plays off. ... Felt we snapped it as quick as we could (on the final play with 10 seconds left).

Pick 6 was run solution throw, was taking easy 1-on-1 matchup, I got to do a better job of where tight end has to fill, get out of the way. Wish I could take that one back.

At time of the fumble, it was 3rd down, I took off running, I knew I had to go for first down. My plan was to try to split those guys. I've got to protect the ball.

Last edited by Va. Packer

I was gonna post something about that because Mastay said MM told the team they had "one week left" in his postgame talk.

I thought that was a polluted mindset to have.

Tyler Dunne "On the pick-six, the Packers had a run-pass option called. Tight end Andrew Quarless cut underneath Flynn, bumping into the quarterback. Flynn's throw down the line of scrimmage was then picked off by Cortez Allen and returned 40 yards for a score.

“It was a run with a pass option," Quarless said. "So it was just one of those things where it was a messed up play.”

Flynn said the Packers call it a "run solution throw," and the Steelers dropped a safety down to Green Bay's run side.

"So I was taking the easy one-on-one match-up to the receiver," Flynn said. "I've got to do a better job of understanding where my tight end has to fill, according to where his linebacker is, and get out of his way. I was coming up and he hit me on my left side, turned me and I pulled the ball out. It was one of those unfortunate plays, and I definitely wish I could take that one back."

Originally Posted by Tschmack:
Quarless ran into him?  Really?  Sound like Bill Schroeder running the wrong route BS when Favre was here.

Facts are a bitch when you are trying to maintain the narrative after being proven wrong.  Guess they don't teach what facts are at Fox Valley Technical College, huh?

Causing the interception.  That's rich

And, factual. 

Originally Posted by tsr86free:
Flynn had time to eat the ball after bumping Quarless, but he let her fly "gunslinger" style. 

How much time exactly.  Cuz watching this video, Quarless basically hits him exactly as he's throwing.

But, again,  narratives to maintain, scapegoats to blame, especially the backup QB that puts up 31 points.  

Last edited by Timpranillo

RTFB.

Flynn has to know Q is behind him in that formation.

He has to know Q is going to execute his run blocking duties because a run play was called. Notice the other 9 players on the team executing the running play?

Flynn is much more to blame than Q. If you choose to take the quick pass option on a running play and the lead blocker bumps into you...that is on you.

RTFB

Pittsburgh really didn't stop them at all today when the Packers chose to run the ball, yet MM is dialing up pass plays again and again.  

The pick 6 play should never have happened. 

30 rushes

39 passes

But, again, let's blame MM for being pass happy, right, since that's the narrative we need to maintain.

Originally Posted by tsr86free:

Perry and Raji penalties to keep crucial drives going was almost as unforgivable. A bad team had their season ended today. Bears will kill a Philly team that will not be playing balls out.  The Bears are going to get destroyed in the first round of the playoffs.

sure about that?

Too many 1st down passes IMO.

To start the second half, MF went 2 for 11 passing with a pick 6 and a sack.

During that same time period the running game had runs of 7 yards, 4 yards, 9 yards, 3 yards, 3 yards, -2 yards and then 2 yards for the second Lacy TD.

The pick six was on 1st down and should have been a run also. And the stats suggest it would have gained a few yards.

The funny part is whoever wins next week between us and the Bores gets a home game against a warm-weather team, most likely either SF or NO. Which means, there's a chance in the cold weather to advance. 

why does the clock run on a dead ball penalty, that makes no sense.   I get the 10 second run off, but then to win the clock once the ball is set under 2 min, doesnt make sense, to me.  

Originally Posted by Fandame:

The funny part is whoever wins next week between us and the Bores gets a home game against a warm-weather team, most likely either SF or NO. Which means, there's a chance in the cold weather to advance. 

You just blew my mind!

Let's do this!

54-11! And some posters on this board think the Packers laid down today. You are watching one of the biggest choke jobs ever tonight.  

I say we spread the field next week and dare the Bores to stop the run. 

What a division.

You've got a Bears defense that makes the Packers defense look problem-free. You've got a Lions offense that makes 5x the bonehead plays GB made today despite having more talent and health. Then you have the Vikings.

As if this isn't challenging enough for Green Bay, though, now you're looking at a strong possibility of #52 being out next week, with Neal and Perry hurting. You also may be without Lacy. And of course, get ready for another roller coaster week with #12.

Hope Rodgers and Lacy can play…and that Lattimore and Richardson stay in the starting lineup. Also hope Bears stick with Cutler...

If a penalty is called while the clock is running, the clock starts again when the ref makes the ball ready for play after enforcing the penalty.

Understood, but still seems wierd that the clock would wind after the 10 second run off. Realizing that the only time a ten second run off happens for 2 min after the end of the game.  Point being the Offense is penalized yardage and time for a foul + any extra time it takes the ref to spot the ball.  That timing rule doesn't happen any other time during the game.   

Originally Posted by Pakrz:

....and at the end of the day, it just didn't matter if the Packers won or lost today.  Go figure.

Isn't that weird? It just didn't matter & both the Bears & Packers still control their own destiny

Originally Posted by PackerRuss:

Understood, but still seems wierd that the clock would wind after the 10 second run off. Realizing that the only time a ten second run off happens for 2 min after the end of the game.  Point being the Offense is penalized yardage and time for a foul + any extra time it takes the ref to spot the ball.  That timing rule doesn't happen any other time during the game.   

Maybe it all happened so quickly that I need to watch again, but that entire sequence baffled me. The referee did, if i recall correctly, announce that 10 second runoff would include him winding clock on his say-so....but I'm not sure...if we go by the game clock, how winding at 10 seconds ended up with a snap of the ball at 3 seconds left. Was it Flynn taking too much time? The umpire seemed awfully close to Flynn and backing away as the clock ran...had the Pack had only time for one shot at a score, and failed to do so....fine. It just seemed like something was amiss and I'm not so quick to put it on the qb entirely.

Last edited by artis
Originally Posted by artis:
Originally Posted by PackerRuss:

Maybe it all happened so quickly that I need to watch again, but that entire sequence baffled me. The referee did, if i recall correctly, announce that 10 second runoff would include him winding clock on his say-so....but I'm not sure...if we go by the game clock, how winding at 10 seconds ended up with a snap of the ball at 3 seconds left. Was it Flynn taking too much time? The umpire seemed awfully close to Flynn and backing away as the clock ran...had the Pack had only time for one shot at a score, and failed to do so....fine. It just seemed like something was amiss and I'm not so quick to put it on the qb entirely.

I think the ref ran up to Flynn to tell him the clock was running.  The issue per the players was that the ref over  the ball was holding up the snap.

The part about the false start on the last drive that irked me is that the one official didn't get away from the ball/Center quick enough once they whistled the clock to start.  Seems like Flynn had to wait an extra couple of seconds before he could snap the ball.  To me, the ref/back judge/whatever screwed up the synch of the play.

Oh, and Jordy had a TD if Flynn through it anywhere near the middle of the end zone.

Originally Posted by PackLandVA:

The part about the false start on the last drive that irked me is that the one official didn't get away from the ball/Center quick enough once they whistled the clock to start.  Seems like Flynn had to wait an extra couple of seconds before he could snap the ball.  To me, the ref/back judge/whatever screwed up the synch of the play.

Oh, and Jordy had a TD if Flynn through it anywhere near the middle of the end zone.

Per JSO, the ref told the ump to hold up the snap of the ball until the clock started, and EDS said the ump was slow getting away from the ball.  On the throw to the end zone, flynn made up his mind to throw to Boykin right from the start, he never even looked at Nelson who was wide open right in front of him.

I guess what I think by clocking it, they would have been able to NOT rush a play>  They would've had a full play clock to call and run a play.  Seemed like Flynn rushed, locked on JB and fired a bad pass.

Reminds me of the last play of the game against New England in 2010 where Flynn botched the last play as time expired.  He was a youngin' back then.

Last edited by PackLandVA

It's a moot point, but I don't get Flynn's explanation. Sure looked like he was reading the defense and calling out protections. Didn't look like he was at all concerned about the running clock. I think the ref noticed the same thing and actually took a step or two in to tell him the clock is running.

Maybe Flynn knew what he was doing all along and was just resigned to that being the last play of the game. But it sure seemed if they went a little faster, let alone spiked the ball, they would have had two cracks at it instead of one.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.