Skip to main content

I realize all the stress and angst over the Safety and MLB positions.....it is April after all.    I think we need a bit more stress and angst over the TE position.    When, where and who would you draft.

Understand...I am no Hershey or Gravy highway when it comes to putting crappy mock drafts together - complete with un-imaginative trades.

I will use CBS sports rating of the top 5 TE's available and want you to select the TE you would like to see us draft based on how high of a pick it would cost us.

We have

Round 1, #21
Round 2, #53
Round 3, #85
Round 3, #98 (compensatory selection)

This is my ****ing poll so you cannot "drop" anyone more than 15 spots in overall "value" (ranking).  You can of course over-value someone based on the CBS board.  

That gives you potentially Ebron  with our R1 pick

Amaro  Jenkins or Niklas with our R2

Or Fiedorowicz  with our R3 Comp pick.

Or if you do not want to see us go after any of the top 5 name -names on someone in the later rounds and why. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/d...pectrankings/2014/TE

RankPlayerPos.Pos. RankSchoolClassHt.Wt.Proj. Round
12*Eric EbronTE1North CarolinaJr6-42501
38*Jace AmaroTE2Texas TechJr6-52651-2
47*Austin Seferian-JenkinsInjuredTE3WashingtonJr6-62622
58*Troy NiklasInjuredTE4Notre DamerJr6-72702
105C.J. FiedorowiczTE5IowaSr6-62653-4

Been through many contract negotiations in my line of work, including 1st chair several times, so know a little bit about leverage and how it works in trying to reach agreement

Last edited by Iowacheese
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't see any possible way TT selects a TE in rd1. TE is a luxury selection. Need ILB and Safety help before TE.

Having said that, IF Ebron drops all the way to 21 it becomes another AR type free fall that Ted would gladly step in and stop. Very unlikely he drops to 21 though.

Interesting hearing and reading how safeties have skyrocketed in perceived value over the last two years. $84 million was guaranteed to FA Safeties last month. I wonder if Pryor and Ha-Ha are rated as high as they are and possibly overrated because of it. Some GM's tend to overreact every so often and overpay because they think it's the trendy thing to do.

Good S read here

Last edited by ChilliJon
Originally Posted by ChilliJon:

I don't see any possible way TT selects a TE in rd1. TE is a luxury selection. Need ILB and Safety help before TE.

And TT would never do such a thing with one of his high round draft picks.  Right Rodgers?  Nelson?  we already have Driver, Jennings and Jones. Cobb?!!!  Jesus **** q, we already have Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson!.  Derek Sherrod!!! didn't we just draft Bulaga last year? and who the heck is Mike Neal!  Brian Brohm with our second pick?  Obviously Rodgers is not living up to expectations.  Nope, no way TT would use a high round pick on a "luxury".  

Originally Posted by KonKrete:

And TT would never do such a thing with one of his high round draft picks.  Right Rodgers?  Nelson?  we already have Driver, Jennings and Jones. Cobb?!!!  Jesus **** q, we already have Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson!.  Derek Sherrod!!! didn't we just draft Bulaga last year? and who the heck is Mike Neal!  Brian Brohm with our second pick?  Obviously Rodgers is not living up to expectations.  Nope, no way TT would use a high round pick on a "luxury".  

I'm not really following your point here at all. Jordy and Cobb were second rounder's. Driver was on his last leg in 2011 and TT probably had a decent idea Jennings was going elsewhere. Bulaga was RT and Sherrod was selected as Clifton's replacement in 2011. 

I don't follow the logic on Rodgers either. TT selected a QB at # 24 that entered the draft as a possible number 1 overall. TT had a 37 year old who was coming off another spring of retirement talks. Yeah, Green Bay had a QB when they selected Rodgers but just barely.

Finally, Quarless, Bostick, Taylor, and Stonebrunner are all kids. You don't need to replace them. And none of those 4 guys are the glaring liability Hawk and Jones are.

Oh yeah, go back and keep reading my post... "IF Ebron drops all the way to 21 it becomes another AR type free fall that Ted would gladly step in and stop. Very unlikely he drops to 21 though"

Originally Posted by KonKrete:

I'm not really following your point here at all. Jordy and Cobb were second rounder's. Driver was on his last leg in 2011 and TT probably had a decent idea Jennings was going elsewhere. Bulaga was RT and Sherrod was selected as Clifton's replacement in 2011. 

I took the liberty of extending your premise of TT not using a high pick on a "luxury" and extended it to the 2nd round.  I guess i still consider them to still be important/ Non "luxury" picks.

In 2007 TT added James Jones to the roster...In the following year he used his 1st pick to add Jordy Nelson already having Jennings, a still in his prime Driver and Jones.  Not exactly a necessity.  He choose what he thought was the BPA.  TT drafted in Cobb in 2011 because he knew Jennings was leaving in 2013 even though he offered him more than any other team did?  And still had Nelson and Jennings and Jones on the roster....you call it, BPA or "luxury?  Bulaga was drafted to replace Clifton.  He only went to RT because Tausch was the first to fall.  When Sherrod was drafted, we had Bulaga, a young fourth round tackle prospect in Newhouse (that didn't turn out so well) and Lang who was not starting but proven himself and had done quite well filling in at the Tackle position.  

I don't follow the logic on Rodgers either. TT selected a QB at # 24 that entered the draft as a possible number 1 overall. TT had a 37 year old who was coming off another spring of retirement talks. Yeah, Green Bay had a QB when they selected Rodgers but just barely.  

How many years of tired retirement talk was that by than?  He was what (34?) definitely not 37, years old going into that season.  There's no way you've forgotten all the crying and whining about needing to get Brent more weapons so we could win now.  Back up QB was a "luxury" pick.  TT went BPA.

Finally, Quarless, Bostick, Taylor, and Stonebrunner are all kids. You don't need to replace them. And none of those 4 guys are the glaring liability Hawk and Jones are.

Oh yeah, go back and keep reading my post... "IF Ebron drops all the way to 21 it becomes another AR type free fall that Ted would gladly step in and stop. Very unlikely he drops to 21 though"

So....NO way he selects a TE...it's a "luxury" selection.  Unless of course he slects a ......wait for it, TE!!!!   Than it was "stopping a freefall"?  My point is simply, TE is in play luxury or not.  TT will select who he feels is the BPA.

Last edited by KonKrete

For **** sake stop and read KonKrete. AR was BPA at 24 in 2005 and TT stepped in and selected him. Ebron would very likely be BPA if he lasted to 21 in this draft and TT would probably select him as well. I've haven't said anything different. He's not going to be there at 21 though. So yeah, I don't see any way TT drafts a TE in round 1.  

Last edited by ChilliJon

With Bulaga and Sherrod being UFA's in 2015 and Barclay being a RFA you have to look at stocking the OL early in the draft. This team is seriously primed to own 2016 through 2019 with a loaded offensive line. 

For **** sake stop and read KonKrete. AR was BPA at 24 in 2005 and TT stepped in and selected him. Ebron would very likely be BPA if he lasted to 21 in this draft and TT would probably select him as well. I've haven't said anything different. He's not going to be there at 21 though. So yeah, I don't see any way TT drafts a TE in round 1.  

I did stop and read, and its bull****.  "TE is a luxury position, no possible way TT drafts one because safety and ILB are a higher priority".  You're right, Ebrons likely to be gone and so are Ha Ha and Mosely.  And if that leaves another TE on the top of his board, that will be the pick.  Neither you or I have any ***ing idea how he rates the other TE's, but his history has shown he won't be following  top 100 list.  Collins sure as hell wasn't the top safety on the board when he selected him. Harrell...where the hell did that nazi ass jew get him from?  He really got suckered when he picked Jennings over Jackson and the Nelson pick...it was obvious to everyone that he was the clear choice, right?  He'll pick whoever he thinks is the best player available whether you think it's a ****ing luxury or not. 

TE's like Graham and Vernon Davis will drive GM's to overpay and overvalue safeties until TE's like Graham and Davis end up on teams with ****ty QB's and fade away to trendy obscurity. 

Great QB. Good OL with depth. Good front 7 on D. Good RB and two corners capable of press man coverage. Slot corner that can cover, tackle and roam.  Two WR's that are both good enough to be on everyone's want list and a third who is a "who the eff is that guy"

You can win a SB if that's your roster every year if you stay healthy. If Nick was playing this team would be damn near impossible to beat. 

No.  You Guys.  Got It Wrong.

TT will claim there's inequality in the league and demand to get the #1 pick because Green Bay is the smallest city in the NFL. 

He will get a lawyer to petition a sympathetic (or is it pathetic) Federal Judge who will put an injunction against the draft until he has time to decide what is equal.  Then, this same judge will tell each team who they must draft whether they want that pick or not.   You see?  It doesn't matter how much research and evaluation time TT has put in.  There's no science involved since everything must be equal.  It isn't fair if other GM's are just too tired and unmotivated to do their job.  These GM's must be able to have a good draft.

This way, it will all be fair. Everyone wins.  Everyone gets a trophy.

God Bless the USA.

KonKrete, luxury and best player available can be the same guy if that's how things shake out. It doesn't happen often but it's great when it does. I'm fine with it. 

Last edited by ChilliJon
The two top safeties in this draft like Dix and Pryor I think will go earlier than expected and Ward and Buchanon are rising up the draft charts as well.   A good safety that can cover and tackle is becoming necessary because of how teams like to use multiple TEs and WRs down the middle of the field.   Same reason why you need LBs that can cover. 

With as many as 5 QBs being taken early I think it increases the chances of a guy like Ebron could be there for the Packers.  Yes they do need a safety and linebacker but we all know TT throws us a curveball every once in a while.  If TT thinks that he can get a decent safety or LB in R2 or R3 he might be inclined to take an offensive weapon like a TE or even WR.   It's a deep draft for both of those positions.
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega:

For the love of God, please not an Iowa tight end.  You want the next Scott Chandler?  Dum Dum!

Or a poor-man's Bubba Franks. I'm thinking TT may want a more dynamic receiving TE, but who knows.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPackFan:

No.  You Guys.  Got It Wrong.

TT will claim there's inequality in the league and demand to get the #1 pick because Green Bay is the smallest city in the NFL. 

He will get a lawyer to petition a sympathetic (or is it pathetic) Federal Judge who will put an injunction against the draft until he has time to decide what is equal.  Then, this same judge will tell each team who they must draft whether they want that pick or not.   You see?  It doesn't matter how much research and evaluation time TT has put in.  There's no science involved since everything must be equal.  It isn't fair if other GM's are just too tired and unmotivated to do their job.  These GM's must be able to have a good draft.

This way, it will all be fair. Everyone wins.  Everyone gets a trophy.

God Bless the USA.

I think we should call TT and have a prayer meeting over it.  

"Oh Pointy to Heaven Football Jeebus, the one with all the touchdowns . . . please pour your divine wisdom down upon us like a Japanese school girl in a bukkake film.

We offer you this Bud Light on Ice to guide us through the trials and tribulations of finding a complete TE who can run . . .catch . . . block . . . and not run his suck on Twitter.  

Let us not fall into temptation of Ebron, a shiny apple of talent who adorns the "tar heel" of Satan and has skin darker than a brown paper bag.  

Nor let us not succumb to the whore of Babylon papistry of Niklas of Notre Dame.  

Deliver us from the animalistic Husky desires of Jenkins while leading us away from "May be a Jew" Fiedorowicz.

We pray for the conversion (on 3rd and 7) of heathen Red Raider Amaro as he slashes and burns his way to the holy land, screwing the hell out of everything and then saying "do over" like St. Augustine.

Oh Touchdown Jeebus, thank you for filling us with your encompassing knowledge like the fat guy during tailgate fills his pants after a bad bratwurst and 12er of Milwaukees Best."

**motions to the 12 year boy with his nuts in a jar**

"Sing us out Jimmy"

Last edited by Henry

Yesterday, espn frequently scrolled someone's draft predictions for the first 10 selections and Ebron was in the list.  I think he was 9th, perhaps 10th.

Anyway, hard to fathom he is around at #21.

Ebron will be over-drafted like Vernon Davis because he is essentially just a big receiver. Fedorowhatever will go a lot lower than some draftniks seem to think, I'm guessing late r4 to late r5. The best values will be on Troy Niklas and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. They will he available in r2 and will actually be worth a r2 pick.
In case doubt lingers, I was there with Orlando Wolf that late Saturday afternoon in Tampa in 2009 before the Packers lost to the winless Bucs and witnessed TT bellied up to the bar pouring his bottle of Bud Light over a glass of ice. It's burned in my conscious.
Originally Posted by Tavis Smiley:
In case doubt lingers, I was there with Orlando Wolf that late Saturday afternoon in Tampa in 2009 before the Packers lost to the winless Bucs and witnessed TT bellied up to the bar pouring his bottle of Bud Light over a glass of ice. It's burned in my conscious.

Damn you Tavis Smiley!!  BEER OVER ICE!!!!!  Make the voices stop.......

Link copied to your clipboard.