Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by DurangoDoug:

That list of Packers for 2014 has BJ Raji on it with a cap hit of like $4 mil, yet Raji as I understand it is an unrestricted FA? I did not see any of the other UFA's on that list. If thats an oops on the list perhaps the Pack has even more available cap money than shown.

From Packers.com: 

"B.J. Rajiโ€™s contract is scheduled to void five days after the last game of the Packersโ€™ 2013 season, which would be Friday."

So I guess, maybe, they're not counting it yet? That means even MORE cap space, huh? 

http://www.packers.com/news-an...68-91bf-16c5308b646a

Last edited by Sep
Originally Posted by Hungry5:

Remember D.Harris is returning. Jolly's injury might be career ending. That's why I left those two off. If Jolly can play in 2014 they should be able to get him for a reasonable deal.

Don't forget Franklin is sitting there too.  He's a dynamic football player.  RB's are the easiest position to find in draft and post-draft IMO.  With the UFA's on the roster, I can't see spending a portion of that on Starks.  

Shields needs to be a priority... As does Raji (Yea, I said it).

Originally Posted by Sep:
Originally Posted by DurangoDoug:

That list of Packers for 2014 has BJ Raji on it with a cap hit of like $4 mil, yet Raji as I understand it is an unrestricted FA? I did not see any of the other UFA's on that list. If thats an oops on the list perhaps the Pack has even more available cap money than shown.

From Packers.com: 

"B.J. Rajiโ€™s contract is scheduled to void five days after the last game of the Packersโ€™ 2013 season, which would be Friday."

So I guess, maybe, they're not counting it yet? That means even MORE cap space, huh? 

http://www.packers.com/news-an...68-91bf-16c5308b646a

I think you are right.

It is remarkable that the Packers are sitting at 31 million below the cap with Raji numbers added. With that kind of money the packers can sign all their guys they want to keep, work on Jordy's new contract and bring in a reasonably priced free agent Safety to boot.

I think Shel Silverstein is behind that.

GB did roll forward $10M in cap space from 2013.  Has something to do with the number.

If I were SF I would mortgage the near future to keep that group together.  They won't be picking high for a decade like they were prior to 2010 so it will be harder to acquire the kind of talent they have.  Bird in the hand. GB can stick to D&D but needs to improve drafting and start looking harder for FA that can help in WK1. 

Last edited by DH13

If Shields leaves, there's no reason to think that Williams, Hayward, House and Hyde could not be a very effective group.  Still, Shields is the only player on that list that I consider a real difference maker, and for that reason, the only one I really hope the Packers bring back.

After that, I'd take any of them at the right price.  I assume someone else will overpay Raji.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers keep one of their big guys though, be it Pickett or Jolly - and I can't imagine any team offering either of those guys a fat contract.

EDS, Quarless, Flynn, Kuhn and C.J. Wilson are all strong candidates to return - as "affordable" players that likely would not be worth more to someone else than they are to the Packers.

To me, Neal and Jones are the most intriguing names on the list.  I'll be very curious to see how the rest of the league values those two guys - and just how much TT is willing to pay them.  Neal will have to contend with the money already invested at the position on Matthews and Perry.  Jones will have to contend with the money soon to be invested in Cobb and Nelson.

Fortunately, no matter how FA turns out this year, the strong showing from the 2013 rookie class has me excited about the Packers next season.

TT doesn't let his top talent walk until they're 30 is usually correct, but it does have to come from both sides. Shields has to want to stay in GB. He hasn't said anything about staying and considering he'll be in fairly high demand, he could have a number of places to choose from. Since he didn't get an extension during the season I assume his agent will have him check out the market, meaning he could easily be gone. I also wonder if DB is where TT thinks he could pick up a veteran guy at reasonable cost, much as he did with Woodson. I don't expect him to hit a home run like with Woodson, but a good solid DB might be out there.

I'm beginning to think Jones is the kind of guy you let walk with this approach to team building. I can't see him coming any cheaper than $3M per, and they're at the point where every dime counts.

I just don't see him offering that much more than Boykin who will play for $500K next year. You have to pay the talent you can't win without, and fill the secondary roles with cheap young replacements.

Is it a given that Raji will void the last year of his contract ?  He will be making 4 million a year. He is exacatly the kind of guy that gets paid big money as a free agent then is a  bust as a player. The Rap on him coming out of college was that he had a tendency to be lazy and he fell from a the project 2 spot to 9 in the first round. I would think othe teams may look at him as a riskey sign.

If I understand things correctly, Finley, Pickett, Jones, and Raji made almost $26MM this year.  Granted, some guys on the roster are due for raises in 2014 but that's a lot of money they could play with if they choose not to bring any of those four guys left.   Add Newhouse and Quarless to the list and that's another $3MM off the books.

Then you have guys like Tramon Williams who is most certainly going to have to restructure his contract.  I can't see any possible scenario where he returns at nearly $10MM in 2014. 

On paper, the Packers should have quite a bit of cap space to work with.   My guess is that TT is going to start with the RFAs like EDS and Starks and Lattimore and I actually think Kuhn might be tops on the list next to Sam Shields to resign as the UFAs.     

Then there are guys like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.  They are up in 2015 and there is no way I see TT letting those two enter free agency.   This is precisely the reason why I think it's very unlikely that James Jones returns.  They have an affordable Boykin and they also have the kid out of Maryland (Dorsey I think?) they drafted last year that they will want to give a look.

Last edited by Tschmack

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.