Skip to main content

Might as well start a thread on this.

In Indianapolis, TT and MM are having press conferences today. MM's is at 3pm EST. Here is a summary of Ted's, just completed, from the JSO blog.

Indianapolis - The following is a summary of Packers general manager Ted Thompson's comments during a morning press conference at the NFL scouting combine:

• (On combine) It's a lot different than it was 20 years ago.
  • (On Davante Adams) He played well. He had a little bit more production down the stretch. We like him, like we do all our guys.
  • (On WR class) Other than to say I can't critique these guys. I'm not supposed to say negative things or positive things. There's players, one day the receivers look great and one day they don't look great. It changes all the time.
  • (On Richard Rodgers) Richard was one of those guys who had production going down the stretch. Looking forward to his contribution.
  • (On Ron Wolf) He has an effect on how this team is run. When I screw up he doesn't think much of what we learned. But he does have a part of us. He's a historian and likes the history of the game. He went into the Hall of Fame and it's well-deserved.
  • (On QB "it" factor) I think there's different it factors for different players. Lot of good ones out there. But there are moments in games, even on collegiate level you can see that this guy is different. They see things differently, they see things quicker.
  • (On Rodgers) The game I keep bringing up is Cal playing USC. This was after everyone thought these guys would go high and we did some extra work and I kept going back to the USC game. His collective body of work was certainly sufficient.
  • (On drafting RBs) I think it's just the way it goes. Whether it's this year or another year, it doesn't mean anything. It's cyclical.
  • (On re-signing Cobb) We'd like to re-sign all our free agents.
  • (On judging college QBs) They have to do a lot of things that have to be done on the professional level. Probably a little more running. Facing some of the same challenges.
  • (On cap) We make all football decisions.
  • (On McCarthy play-calling) Most of that was his own thinking. I was aware of his thinking.
  • (On being surprised) A little bit. Mike does a lot of thinking. He examines to fine point to what he's going to present to the team. He's thinking in a macro sense how best to use his team. Where he'd like to inject his own attitude into the team. I think he wants to spread himself out.
  • (On combine interviews) Always looking for a little bit of sparkle in a guy's eyes. That's difficult because they're going from 6 in the morning to 10 at night. Hard to be on all the time. We're not saying we can look inside somebody's mind. I like to think in 15 or 20 minutes find out if this guy is a good fit.
  • (On Ndamukong Suh) I think he's the property of another team and I'm prohibited by rule from discussing that. I should give that answer more often.
  • (On front office working together) I think a lot of it goes back to legacy of Ron Wolf. He set the organization up a certain way so football decisions would be made by football people, whether facilities or money, it would be a football decision, what is best for team. That put the organization in a better light. People around the league saw the Packers put their money where their mouth is. But it goes back to Ron Wolf.
Last edited by ilcuqui
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

More TT, from those in attendance.

@RobDemovsky: Most of the questions being asked here are by non-#Packers reporters. The beat guys will get him separately off to the side.

@jasonjwilde: Always enjoy the non-#Packers media folks asking Ted questions.
Q: "Is re-signing Cobb a priority?"
A: "We want to re-sign all our guys."

@RobDemovsky: Ted Thompson's either getting old or his respect level has gone way up because he's been addressed as Mr. Thompson several times already.

@TyDunne: TT on his involvement in MM giving up play-calling: "Mostly, it was his own thinking. We had conversations."

@MikeTanier: Ted Thompson sounds like Tom Waits this morning.

@MikeTanier: Everyone who speaks at Podium A for the rest of the day is gonna catch Ted Thompson's cold.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Apropo of EKB, Vikings' morning presser:

@mattvensel: Zimmer said Brandon Bostick adds depth, competition at TE. And he joked, "We'll try not to put him on the onside kick team." #Vikings

Last edited by ilcuqui

@jasonjwilde: Always enjoy the non-#Packers media folks asking Ted questions.
Q: "Is re-signing Cobb a priority?"
A: "We want to re-sign all our guys."

quote:
@MikeTanier: Ted Thompson sounds like Tom Waits this morning.

It's the cancer/flu he had last year. It will get him eventually. Be patient.

Last edited by Goalline
Originally Posted by cuqui:

@mattvensel: Zimmer said Brandon Bostick adds depth, competition at TE. And he joked, "We'll try not to put him on the onside kick team." #Vikings

Lift a guy's spirits by claiming him then square him up with a national media sledgehammer to the marble bag by hitting the replay button on his singular greatest professional failure.

"Winning people and things over with super terrific people skills" by Mike Zimmer. Look for it on Amazon in 2018. 

MM presser on, streaming on packers.com.

@RobDemovsky: Mike McCarthy said he has an idea what not calling plays will be like since the OC calls 4th preseason game. #Packers 

@ByRyanWood: McCarthy: "Bryan Bulaga, definitely, I want him back. And I know Bryan wants to be back, but we're now in the business phase of our game."

@ByRyanWood: McCarthy on O line: "What we asked them as far as responsibility is more than we've ever done. The continuity we've created is awesome."

@RobDemovsky: MM: Like the way our board looks right now. It would be nice to get our own free agents. Our OL, not just starting 5, best group we've had.

@RobDemovsky: McCarthy: I definitely believe Julius Peppers will be back. He looks great in the green and gold.

@RobDemovsky: McCarthy said he doesn't understand why people would question Peppers' return. He's supposed to make $9.5 million next season.

@ByRyanWood: MM: "I don't see Eddie as a slow starter. Based on some of the things I read, play caller just has to get him the damn ball in September."

@TyDunne: McCarthy on Lacy: "Eddie played better in his second year than his first year. Took a huge step. Smart, instinctive player."

@RobDemovsky: McCarthy: It's Feb. 19, and I have no idea how many times Eddie Lacy is going to touch the ball next year.

@RobDemovsky: McCarthy on Richard Rodgers: "Definitely improved throughout the season. I really like what Richard did this year."

@TyDunne: MM on QB: "Scott is an ascending player. He has more growth in front of him."

@ByRyanWood: MM won't hesitate to draft QB if right one's available: "I don't think you ever pass on a QB. It's the most important position in the game."

@RobDemovsky: McCarthy: "I think last year I answered 7 questions about the safety position. It worked out very well for us."

@TyDunne:McCarthy: The inside linebacker position could be compared to where we were at safety last year. Will look at player acquisition.

@TyDunne: More MM: Like what Sam Barrington did. He took a big step. 

Last edited by ilcuqui
Originally Posted by Dr._Bob:

MM says they need inside linebackers.  He must read this board.

Sounds like it

MM: "I don't see Eddie as a slow starter. Based on some of the things I read, play caller just has to get him the damn ball in September."

Originally Posted by ChilliJon:
Originally Posted by cuqui:

Lift a guy's spirits by claiming him then square him up with a national media sledgehammer to the marble bag by hitting the replay button on his singular greatest professional failure.

"Winning people and things over with super terrific people skills" by Mike Zimmer. Look for it on Amazon in 2018. 

It's OK, even without that comment, Bostick was probably just a camp body for Minnesota anyway. The guy sucks so bad that even those purple failures won't want him on their roster in September, I'd wager.

More from McCarthy at the combine, on Jeff Janis (!):

“I think Jeff is going to take a big step,” McCarthy said during a nearly hour-long session at a hotel restaurant with reporters who regularly cover the team. “He’s got a big catching radius, and he needs to utilize it. Obviously, I think we all saw his vertical speed. He’s an extremely physical young man. He’s an Olympian in the weight room. He’s got a lot of raw skill, and I look for him to make that jump.”

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/c...40&post_id=47481

Last edited by ilcuqui

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.