Skip to main content

I don't think it was dumb of MM to give up playcalling this year; I understand why he did it and many of us have criticized him in the past for not being more of a game manager because he had his head in his playcalling sheet. The problem is that MM and AR click so well, and MM's plays have meaning to them. Clements just called plays to call them without a real plan in place for what happened next. MM is still crappy on short yardage, but he can put together some great drives.

McCarthy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Some here had a meltdown over the Ron Zook hire and said McCarthy needed to handhold him and the D. Well that means he had to sacrifice time with the O. Now that Zook seems to have the fewest issues, McCarthy was wrong for giving up play call duties. McCarthy is a strong leader IMO, he has done the right thing for this team. Zook hadn't been an ST coach in a long time, McCarthy gave him some help and put trust in his other coaches even during the hard times. It's clear though that Clements couldn't run the offense the way it needed to be run, McCarthy did the right thing and took it back. 

Grave Digger posted:

McCarthy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Some here had a meltdown over the Ron Zook hire and said McCarthy needed to handhold him and the D. Well that means he had to sacrifice time with the O. Now that Zook seems to have the fewest issues, McCarthy was wrong for giving up play call duties. McCarthy is a strong leader IMO, he has done the right thing for this team. Zook hadn't been an ST coach in a long time, McCarthy gave him some help and put trust in his other coaches even during the hard times. It's clear though that Clements couldn't run the offense the way it needed to be run, McCarthy did the right thing and took it back. 

Umm...no. The reaction to the Zook hiring wasn't "MM needs to give up his O duties to help ST." It was "Why the hell is MM hiring Zook over more qualified assistants." You talk about doing the right thing to help a guy who hasn't been a ST coach in a long time...what is this, charity? How about hiring a ST coach who has a ton of experience and doesn't need the help? Wouldn't that make sense than turning over your offensive machine to a guy who can't run it?

So, no, MM wasn't damned if he does or if he doesn't. Quite simply it was a bad idea to make major changes in the one facet of the team that was performing at a Super Bowl level. If MM wanted to get cute, then upgrade the ST and D, not downgrade the Offense.

But what was far worse IMO than the initial decision was refusing to see the writing on the wall for two months. It should have been abundantly clear after that first Lions loss this wasn't working. You make the change then, you likely beat the Bears and you're still in the running for the two seed. But he had to wait another month and get a miracle Hail Mary play to finally be convinced that maybe Clements really couldn't do the job.

No I'm pretty sure people were melting down over hiring Zook and saying McCarthy needed to hold his hand. There wasn't anyone who thought turning the O over to Clements was a bad idea, don't pretend otherwise is true. People said "Rodgers and Clements are so tight that it's going to be seamless..." or "Rodgers is going to be running the O so Clements can't screw it up." McCarthy was praised for turning the keys over to Clements. And he stuck with him and was patient with him, I agree probably too long, but I can accept that he wanted to help Clements improve rather than demote him immediately. McCarthy made a good choice in the spring and it didn't work out, that's all that happened. McCarthy wasn't wrong for trying.
No I'm pretty sure people were melting down over hiring Zook and saying McCarthy needed to hold his hand. There wasn't anyone who thought turning the O over to Clements was a bad idea, don't pretend otherwise is true. People said "Rodgers and Clements are so tight that it's going to be seamless..." or "Rodgers is going to be running the O so Clements can't screw it up." McCarthy was praised for turning the keys over to Clements. And he stuck with him and was patient with him, I agree probably too long, but I can accept that he wanted to help Clements improve rather than demote him immediately. McCarthy made a good choice in the spring and it didn't work out, that's all that happened. McCarthy wasn't wrong for trying.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.