Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fire the OC after his brother allowed half a grand in yards, 37 points, three receivers with 100 receiving yards and a RB with 100 yards rushing. Good plan. 

Rex isn't making it out of this year. 

''Obviously, we never expected this,'' Ryan said. ''The Jets were a much better team than we were today, especially their offense against our defense looked like a mismatch today. You look for a difference in the game and that was the difference in the game.'' (SI)

The Bills scored 31 points, put up almost 300 yards passing and another hundred running. Tsk, tsk. They should have put up another hundred in each and maybe Roman keeps his job.  

Obviously, it was the offense's fault.  

Fandame posted:

The Bills scored 31 points, put up almost 300 yards passing and another hundred running. Tsk, tsk. They should have put up another hundred in each and maybe Roman keeps his job.  

Roman is a good OC. Put up 24 points last night on a very good Jets defense. I would guess their front 7 is one of the better ones in the league. 

He's proven himself at other stops. Just ask Dom how good he thinks Roman is. 

You know. This entire 49ers have owned Green Bay is one huge pile of bull****. And I'm ****ing sick of it. **** Greg Roman. Harbaugh pulled him out of a high school gig and gave him a free ride after Roman ****ed himself in previous NFL Jobs. Roman hasn't accomplished ****. Neither has Rob Ryan but whatever. 

The 2012- 2013 49ers might be the greatest example of an NFL powerhouse that should have absolutely won a Super Bowl with no one in their way that didn't win jack ****. How in the ever loving **** that team didn't close on at least one trophy is beyond comprehension. They were absolutely the best team in football in 2012. Unless of course you subscribe to the belief that winning a Super Bowl is hard. 

So **** Roman. **** Kaep. **** Staley. **** Bringing knuckles. **** Fangio. **** SF  

One of these teams has 2 rings in the last 20 years. It ain't the team that's owned Green Bay. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Wow. Overreact much? No one said SF has owned GB, quite the opposite as we have gloriously witnessed...except for the recent 4 year blight on that record. 

Back to the point. Greg Roman was unfairly scapegoated. I think Rex is going to have trouble selling this as the reason for the Bills rough start. 

Chillijon - a few more stars in your post and maybe it will be censored. 

Whatever else happens, this much I know.  Rex isn't going anywhere because Fischer isn't available yet.  The best outcome here is that both Rex and Fischer get lifetime contracts from their respective teams. 

Stealing Boris's post since other topic is closed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/...-named-interim-coach

I'd like to see him as DC, he would bring an attitude to the D.  Not a very good HC but has always been successful as a DC.  It is my gut feeling that regardless of what happens Dom will "retire" in the off season. 

The only potential pawsitive to Rex is that he is a 3-4 guy and wouldn't have to pigeon-hole current players into his scheme, which is what he did in Buffalo. And given his ego, I'd only wanting him starting back as a position coach, and we know he wouldn't want that.

Ryan's defenses have fluctuated, even going back to Baltimore. He hasn't had a defense higher than 15th in ppg since 2010 when he had the Jets at 6th in ppg. Going back to Baltimore his defenses were 10, 1, 22, 3 in ppg and then with the NYJ his defenses were 1, 6, 20, 20, 19, 24 in ppg. With Buffalo his defenses have been 15th in ppg both years. That's an average of 13th overall in 12 years. For the sake of comparison Dom's defense have been 7, 2, 19, 11, 24, 13, 12, and 22 in ppg during his time in GB. That's an average ranking of 14th overall in 8 years. If your opinion is that Dom needs to go, you might set your sights on someone whose defenses are markedly better than Dom's because that ain't Rex. 

If you want to bring in a HC who is likely to be fired as a DC, shoot for Marvin Lewis. His defenses have averaged a 9th overall ranking in ppg in the last 8 years. He knows how to develop assistants also with 3 of his coordinators now as HCs. Todd Bowles would be another one I would call immediately if he's fired. 

If John Fox is fired in Chicago then there's always a chance for Vic Fangio to head north. 

Grave Digger posted:

Ryan's defenses have fluctuated, even going back to Baltimore. He hasn't had a defense higher than 15th in ppg since 2010 when he had the Jets at 6th in ppg. Going back to Baltimore his defenses were 10, 1, 22, 3 in ppg and then with the NYJ his defenses were 1, 6, 20, 20, 19, 24 in ppg. With Buffalo his defenses have been 15th in ppg both years. That's an average of 13th overall in 12 years.

When you hitch your wagon to Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Tyrod Taylor, your just asking to get fired.

It's just excuse making. If they had been more successful then I doubt the scheme would be considered too complex. If Rex had never had a successful D then maybe there's some validity in this, but he's had very successful defenses in the past. Dareus and his teammates don't want to use their brain, which is probably why they haven't made the playoffs in the 21st century. 

I disagree, I've had plenty of teams that vary widely in what they are cognitively able to handle. You can get away with a couple of guys who have a hard time grasping it....if you have some really bright guys on the field that can constantly be checking with them to be sure they know what they are doing. Of course these   brighter guys must have leadership qualities & be "talkers" to communicate effectively. 

GD, did you read the article? This part jumped out to me and why I posted the link.

Ryan had his most success in 2009 and 2010 -- a time where he loaded up the defense with heady veterans who were already accustomed to the terminology. Linebacker Bart Scott and safety Jim Leonhard were brought in to pilot the scheme and translate its complexities. Veterans like former Raven Trevor Pryce and all-time great Jason Taylor followed suit. His best defensive players had a graduate degree in Rex-ology, or, in the case of someone like Darrelle Revis, they were asked to do something specific (like match up on the other team's best receiver and follow him everywhere).

Similarly, this is what many have said about Dom in the past. While it's players and not plays, they need to understand what's being asked of them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.