Skip to main content

michiganjoe posted:

Kizer remains a better option than Boyle and neither are good enough, IMO.

Summers a good player who misses way too many tackles.

Is ESB really a better player than Lazard? Is Davis really a better option than Shepherd? 

Nothing from Gary again. Really early, but is a concern.

Bolton playing really well.

Agreed on Kizer and Boyle.  While Boyle seems like he has the complete package as far as poise, arm strength, etc.  he's just not improving enough in pass completions.  Kizer just feels like "let's get something for that Randall disaster".

Ty Summers is a god damn superstar!  Look at his stats at TCU.  Immediate NFL superstar.

Last edited by Henry
Watched most of the first half. Some observations;

Most importantly we should have known that this game would be difficult, Harbaugh takes preseason games VERY seriously as evidenced by the fact that they have won 15 preseason games in a row!!! They beat Jax last week 29-0, last season they beat the Rams 33-7, with that pretense, and AR not playing we should have known that this game would be a disappointment.

-- Our o-line pass blocked & picked up extra rushers well vs. a very good defensive front . However we couldn't run the ball
-- My hope is that if AR is playing teams will have to play "pass" more, which will open up the run?
-- Most disappointing aspect of the game for me was that the Ravens o-line seemed to be winning every one-on-one matchup. Looked like our guys could not get off blocks.
-- Lazard, Shepperd & Kumerow made plays, I think Moore's days are numbered
-- Scott punted for a 53 yard average, looking more like the weapon they drafted him to be.
-- Total yards stats looked a lot like last week, big difference was that last week we were won the turnover battle by 3, this week it was even
Johnson posted:

They'll have to address the QB backup when the 53 man cut comes and they can pick somebody up. 

Yep, neither or these guys have given any indication that they can play competently for a 2-3 stretch if 12 gets dinged. And those 2-3 games likely will mean a playoff berth.

I suspect the pickins' will be slim but they will have to roll the dice.

Thought here. Miami, it would appear, is in rebuilding mode and that will eventually be around Rosen. How high of a pick would you give up for FitzMagic?

It is depressing to watch this team with the 2 Aarons out, Rodgers and Jones.  Those 2 guys are incredibly important to this team doing anything at all.  And the scary part is, they both are injury prone, so anytime either of those guys are hurt, the offense will start to look similar to what it did today.

That Kizer/Boyle combo really looks like the worst backup QB situation in the NFL. Not a good situation when you have a 35 year old QB starting who isn't as durable as he once was.

Settle down, settle down...

The backup QB sitch is at the feet of TT and McVince...largely McVince.

I believe the P'Burgh 'Cho wasn't going to admit defeat with either of these two (see Brett Hundley also). MLF needed some time with them to fully vet their abilities. Manny Wilkins isn't any more ready than the Man in the Moon to be a backup, but he's got some raw ability. My guess is they wait until final cut downs and see if they can get someone familiar with the system to be the #2, bump Kizer to #3 and cut ties with Boyle, then stash Manny on the PS.

Of bigger concern to me was the overall piss poor tackling, once again, from the defense. The encouraging portion is by and large, for the most part, the players seem to be in the right positions to make tackles...they just have issues getting players down. 

chickenboy posted:
Johnson posted:

They'll have to address the QB backup when the 53 man cut comes and they can pick somebody up. 

Yep, neither or these guys have given any indication that they can play competently for a 2-3 stretch if 12 gets dinged. And those 2-3 games likely will mean a playoff berth.

I suspect the pickins' will be slim but they will have to roll the dice.

Thought here. Miami, it would appear, is in rebuilding mode and that will eventually be around Rosen. How high of a pick would you give up for FitzMagic?

It depends if you really think this team is primed for a deep playoff run. If you think that's the case, then you give up a 4th or 5th. If not, then you go with what you have. 

Since Matt Flynn left, the following guys have gotten snaps at QB other than Rodgers. 

Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien, Brett Hundley, DeShone Kizer

Those guys are not good enough to keep you in the playoff race if they have to play a significant stretch.

My favorite Kizer factoid is that he's thrown a pass in 17 NFL games and his team's record in those games is 1-16. The only game he's thrown a pass in that his team has won is when he came in for Rodgers in the opener last year and threw 7 passes - one of them to Khalil Mack for a pick 6.  

michiganjoe posted:

Kizer remains a better option than Boyle and neither are good enough, IMO.

Summers a good player who misses way too many tackles.

Is ESB really a better player than Lazard? Is Davis really a better option than Shepherd? 

Nothing from Gary again. Really early, but is a concern.

Bolton playing really well.

Agree that neither is good enough as a backup QB.

ESB and J’Mon should be worried.  Lazard and Shepherd are looking really good, and that was a nice kickoff return by Shepherd last night.  I’ve never been a fan of Trevor Davis, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering all the praise heaped on him in training camp this year.  He’d better make it on to the field for the next 2 games or he’s in big trouble.

If our WR corp includes Davante, Geronimo, MVS, Kumerow, Shepherd and Lazard I’d characterize them with a phrase from Terri Hatcher:  β€œthey’re real and they’re spectacular!”  ;-)

Another Positive : Keke can play. Had several nice inside penetration moves and got into the backfield. Looks promising. 

We saw a Baltimore team last night that seemed in mid-season form. Basic concept of run the ball and play tough defense. As I mentioned earlier - Harbaugh gets them ready early and is serious about preseason with an unheard of 15 straight PS wins !!!  Running multiple blitz packages in preseason ? Good for them, they looked good - hopefully it ignites some thoughts at 1265 - we got a ways to go to get ready. 

I concur on the missed tackles but also just getting beat in the trenches and overall pushed around.  BAL has been a tough physical team for a long time but I was hoping our D was going to look a little more "resolute".  The overarching issue all the success we hear about from camp not translating to the games.  Could be lack of scheme and more interest in avoiding injuries but that's a dangerous hope for a team that seems to be collecting more and more expectations for 19.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.