Skip to main content

TouchdownWhitewaterJesus posted:
MichiganPacker2 posted:  The Packers "deserved" to lose based on turnover margin and giving up two big plays. In every other facet of the game, the Packers outplayed the Lions. 

The Lions had two big plays. One the first, Jaire Alexander ran down Galladay from behind to save 4 points. On the second, the Lions needed a really questionable call to get 7 points on a 4th down. 

Lions had 55 plays for 299 yards. They had 2 plays for 124 yards and the other 53 plays netted 175 yards. They ran the ball for 56 yards on 20 carries. The Packers ran the ball for 170 yards on 29 carries. 

The Lions failed to put the Packers away early. 

For everyone assuming that if the Packers kick the FG with over a minute left that Stafford was going to rally them for a win, here's the Lions drives in the second half. 

3 plays, -8 yards, punt

4 plays, 2 yards, FG

7 plays, 34 yards

5 plays, 6 yards

4 plays, 8 yards, FG

6 plays, 16 yards

29 plays, 70 yards with two scoring drives of 2 and 8 yards. 

So, yes. Don't blame the officials for one bad call. 

I hate the fact that the victory is diminished by the officiating, but I completely understand it if I’m a fan of any other team than the packers.

The first hands to the face changed a certain punting situation into a new set of downs with which we score in three plays.

The second hands to the face changed a mid-range field goal attempt that would have left 1:30 or so on the clock into a fresh set of downs in which we were allowed to milk the clock to victory.

13 men on the field? Non-call on the PI?  The incompletion call after the receiver took three steps before fumbling?  If we are being honest with ourselves, we would be demanding a full fledged investigation into Clete Blakeman if the rolls were reversed.  I know I would be.

For what it’s worth, I think Detroit scored a TD on 3rd down and 4th down was impossible to turn over.

I can’t argue with NFL fans who will refer to it as a tainted victory and that stinks.  NFL needs to fix their product.

No doubt it’s a tainted victory. We’ve been on the other end of it before as well but it sucks either way.

Ok - rules question here.  I'm too lazy to look it up! 

12 (or 13) men on the field.  Are there certain times the play gets ruled dead and other times not?  On the FG try last night the refs stopped the play and the Packers got a first down.  When we had 13 men on the field MLF called a timeout before the snap so it wasn't a play stoppage and a penalty.   And how many times as AR gotten a snap off quickly before a guy sprinting to the sideline can get off the field and he gets a free play?

277E5310-6668-4971-9BD3-9B2F92F7B356My understanding is that you cannot have more than 11 players lined up in any instance, including before the snap if the ball.  And a TO can’t save you.

”If Team A has more than 11 players in its formation for more than three seconds, or if Team B has more than 11 players in its formation and the snap is imminent, it is a foul.”

The refs noticed it when Detroit was guilty but not when we were is the only explanation I can see.

*edit* Should have been a penalty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 277E5310-6668-4971-9BD3-9B2F92F7B356
Last edited by TouchdownWhitewaterJesus
Cheezers posted:

Ok - rules question here.  I'm too lazy to look it up! 

12 (or 13) men on the field.  Are there certain times the play gets ruled dead and other times not?  On the FG try last night the refs stopped the play and the Packers got a first down.  When we had 13 men on the field MLF called a timeout before the snap so it wasn't a play stoppage and a penalty.   And how many times as AR gotten a snap off quickly before a guy sprinting to the sideline can get off the field and he gets a free play?

As I understand, the penalty takes effect when the center puts his hands on the ball to snap it. That's when they called it last night.

Tainted victory?!?!? LMFAO 😂

Yeah especially that gifted TD. Newsflash....he didn't cross the goal line. 3 turnovers -- Lie-Downs were +3 last night. Tainted???

It definitely wasn't pretty & an ugly win is 100% better than a pretty loss but the victory is anything but tainted. Whatta bunch of shit. Packers earned that win. They scratched & clawed & never gave up & found a way.

You guys sound like Viking fans -- "Packers are 3 plays away from being 2-4. They're not that good."

Boris posted:

Yeah especially that gifted TD. Newsflash....he didn't cross the goal line. 3 turnovers -- Lie-Downs were +3 last night. Tainted???

It definitely wasn't pretty & an ugly win is 100% better than a pretty loss but the victory is anything but tainted. Whatta bunch of shit. Packers earned that win. They scratched & clawed & never gave up & found a way.

You guys sound like Viking fans -- "Packers are 3 plays away from being 2-4. They're not that good."

You’re right. They didn’t score on 4th down but they did score on 3rd down. Yes the Pack hung in there but I guarantee you wouldn’t see it the same if all of those calls went against us. Glad they got the victory but they certainly got help and yes we’ve been on the other side before as well. 

All the calls never go against one team. That shit has a way of evening out.

You're a defender. You get called for an illegal hands to the face foul....so yeah....let's go back & do the same move again. They won't call it this time.

My point is the Lions had AMPLE opportunity to put the Packers away -- yet they never did.

Great job by the Packer defense limiting them to FG's even after 3 turnovers & short fields. 

Boris posted:

You're a defender. You get called for an illegal hands to the face foul....so yeah....let's go back & do the same move again. They won't call it this time.

My point is the Lions had AMPLE opportunity to put the Packers away -- yet they never did.

Great job by the Packer defense limiting them to FG's even after 3 turnovers & short fields. 

Totally agree here. The Loins had many chances and  the Packer D was fantastic in the second half. 

MichiganPacker2 posted:
excalibur posted:
MichiganPacker2 posted:
YATittle posted:

FYI: 538 which incorrectly predicted Hillary as president as us as odds on favorite to win the division.

538 correctly predicted the popular vote. 

Except every President in history is voted in with the EC. 

That wasn't my point. The statistical models for the entire county were correct and even the state-by-state polls were within the margin of error. 538 also gave Trump a 29% chance of winning the electoral college, which was much better than other statistical predictors. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/fe...-almost-anyone-else/

Nate Silver is good at what he does. 

Nate Silver sucks.

Boris posted:

Preach it. 

13X posted:
Boris posted:

Totally agree here. The Loins had many chances and  the Packer D was fantastic in the second half. 

I don't recall hearing Golliday's or Hansen's name called in the second half of the game or even after they burned us on those deep completions. Our DBs shut them down. It was nice to see our Defense come to life in the second half.

Grave Digger posted:

His hands weren’t touch his face or face mask, he had a hold of the chest/Jersey. It’s a bogus call, but it happens. It’s not why the Lions lost, the fact that they barely sniffed the end zone is why they lost, but it most certainly took an opportunity for them to be on offense away. I’m not defending the Lions, fuck them, it’s these refs that I can’t stand. 

Still could be called for defensive holding, which is 5 yards and automatic first down. 

I think that all the bitching about that game got real old real fast. It’s not like it was a playoff game. The Packers have had to suffer through bad calls for a long time. Good grief, at least Patricia was mostly classy about it.

Herschel posted

Still could be called for defensive holding, which is 5 yards and automatic first down. 

Defensive holding on D-lineman is only called when the defender tries to prevent the blocker from moving to block another defender or they hold a RB trying to get out to become a receiver. 

Last edited by FLPACKER
Fandame posted:

On the 13 men on the field, it was explained somewhere else that the foul is called when you line up. GB was not set, therefore no foul. Det was set, therefore the foul.

I don’t think anybody knows what the rules are including the officials.  If GB isn’t set.....Detroit is ready to snap the ball.  The more they do to “improve” the officiating, the worse it gets.  If your interpretation of the rule were correct, AR12 would never be able to snap the ball and catch the opponent with too many men on the field.

A78FE567-B1FF-4BB2-9146-81E5BF955A04

Attachments

Images (1)
  • A78FE567-B1FF-4BB2-9146-81E5BF955A04
FLPACKER posted:
Herschel posted

Defensive holding on D-lineman is only called when the defender tries to prevent the blocker from moving to block another defender or they hold a RB trying to get out to become a receiver. 

Or "blocking" for another rusher, from my understanding. Not my favorite call either way, but it's in the books.

I don't think that would fit the criteria for a defensive hold as the offensive player was engaged with him and not trying to move away. After hearing more explanations 1) I think it does fit the criteria of hands to the face since the neck is included in the prohibited contact area 2) Flowers had literally the exact same penalty before (after Bakh had alerted the ref to look for it), at some point he has to realize what he's doing is going to be called, he has to be smarter and 3) I think this shit happens every play in the trenches and it shouldn't be called frequently and especially not during potentially game changing circumstances. Lions have a right to feel robbed of an opportunity, but ultimately the refs didn't beat them and they (and their fans) need to suck it up. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.