Skip to main content

I don’t think this team could ever win a Super Bowl with Joe Barry as defensive coordinator. He is a complete fuck up with no feel for the game, and once again, his unit was embarrassed.

And Matt LaFleur is more concerned with being the good guy than he is making the hard decision.

@Legacy posted:

I try to take a long breath before posting, but it's really hard to not comment in real time. Some people are saying that they are more than a play behind. It's hard to comment only on things that were two plays ago.

It wasn't comments though.  It was just reporting what happened on the play.  No biggie.  Onto the next one.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Woulda been different if MLF doesn't lose his playcalling cool and call three straight runs by Dillon. Coulda been that injuries didn't help. Woulda been a different story if Jaire and Quay had held on to the INTs.

I don’t think this team could ever win a Super Bowl with Joe Barry as defensive coordinator. He is a complete fuck up with no feel for the game, and once again, his unit was embarrassed.

And Matt LaFleur is more concerned with being the good guy than he is making the hard decision.

Even though this looks like a knee jerk reaction, it may be spot on.

@Legacy posted:

I try to take a long breath before posting, but it's really hard to not comment in real time. Some people are saying that they are more than a play behind. It's hard to comment only on things that were two plays ago.

I've always looked at it as folks providing updates for those who may not be able to get them otherwise. It's a little archaic, but some appreciate it.

But, yeah, the lag behind real-time when streaming is terrible. When I have to watch via stream, I usually try to make comments during game breaks, and ignore the game thread.

Yeah, but who would they get at this point in the season? Who could step up? Barry last week called more pressures and it was the bad Bears. This week he goes back to Charmin Man.

@Fandame posted:

Yeah, but who would they get at this point in the season? Who could step up? Barry last week called more pressures and it was the bad Bears. This week he goes back to Charmin Man.

The main difference is ATL may have a real coach with a real offense.

True but their running backs are faaaaaar superior.

I was told it was stupid to draft Robinson in the first round. Replace AJ Dillon with Robinson and we win going away.

The whole idea of not drafting a RB in the first is an oversimplification of statistics. The press uses that all the time and people fall over themselves believing it.

If you’ve got a special player you draft him regardless of position.

@Pikes Peak posted:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Did’nt

Joe Barry plays soft zone with no blitzing against a very average QB. He'd rather lose 25-24 than risk giving up big plays by being aggressive. All that first-round talent and he coordinates like he has a bunch of average players that he doesn't trust to make plays.

Jaire drops a pick 6. Gets beat like a drum by a mid-level WR. Maybe he'll finally just STFU and make a play at some point.

Quay drops a pick that would have meant at least 3 points.

Savage misplays a ball in the air.

Savage misses a tackle in the hole on 4th and 1.

Dillon keeps tripping over the chalk. Too much buffet line and looking at his quads and not enough work on his footwork.

Bakh hurt again.

Christian Watson is made of glass.

All this stuff has happened before. Some combination of this has gotten them beat almost every close loss in the MLF era.

@Goalline posted:

I was told it was stupid to draft Robinson in the first round. Replace AJ Dillon with Robinson and we win going away.

The whole idea of not drafting a RB in the first is an oversimplification of statistics. The press uses that all the time and people fall over themselves believing it.

Agreed. You should prioritize drafting them in the first round, then ride them hard for 5 years and not resign them to the extension.

A great RB can change things quicker than any other rookie on the field. There isn't a lot to learn about running in the NFL that they didn't learn in college.

Joe Barry plays soft zone with no blitzing against a very average QB. He'd rather lose 25-24 than risk giving up big plays by being aggressive. All that first-round talent and he coordinates like he has a bunch of average players that he doesn't trust to make plays.

Jaire drops a pick 6. Gets beat like a drum by a mid-level WR. Maybe he'll finally just STFU and make a play at some point.

Quay drops a pick that would have meant at least 3 points.

Savage misplays a ball in the air.

Savage misses a tackle in the hole on 4th and 1.

Dillon keeps tripping over the chalk. Too much buffet line and looking at his quads and not enough work on his footwork.

Bakh hurt again.

Christian Watson is made of glass.

All this stuff has happened before. Some combination of this has gotten them beat almost every close loss in the MLF era.

Brutal and all true

@Pikes Peak posted:

Except when it really counted.  I trust he will improve but that last 10 minutes or so was not impressive

MLF hamstrung him. He clearly played not to lose when he was ahead, and then went very vanilla on the last drive. Maybe try a quick hitter and get some yardage in the middle and spike the ball to stop it?

Agreed. You should prioritize drafting them in the first round, then ride them hard for 5 years and not resign them to the extension.

A great RB can change things quicker than any other rookie on the field. There isn't a lot to learn about running in the NFL that they didn't learn in college.

EXACTLY! Who gives a shit about the second contract. RB’s produce right away and with a 5th year exception you pay peanuts for their best 5 years.

Last edited by Goalline

MLF called a good game until he didn't. Those last couple of drives were awful. Three times to a guy who had to get help to gain 2? When Love was hitting those short outside throws? MLF took the ball out of Love's hands on those drives. At the end, he didn't help Love either. I hope MLF learns as much as Love will.

They're not going 17-0. Don't read too much into one loss. I'm bummed it's an NFC loss too and was within reach which is disappointing.

This loss is squarely on MLF for taking the ball out of Loves hands. Trust your QB bro. He got you to that 12 point lead. Use him to stick in the dagger.

Love missed a couple plays too.

Everyone plays a part but I'm extremely disappointed with a 3rd down defense that has a Linebacker split out on Bijon Robinson. At worst call a timeout and get the defensive call and coverage correct.

They had a difference-maker in Robinson and our 2 didn't play, if Love had seen Doubs wide open after Atlanta's first TD of the 4th Q it would have squashed their momentum.... he played very well up to that point.

@DH13 posted:

Even though this looks like a knee jerk reaction, it may be spot on.

And I would LOVE nothing better than to be proven wrong. I would gladly eat crow.

But I have zero confidence in Joe Barry whatsoever. He has been given every luxury possible: an unwavering show of confidence from the Head Coach, a wealth of blue chip draft picks to run his system….and time and time again, his units fold like a cheap tent.

The unit only improved late last season after the players petitioned him to implement changes.

@Fandame posted:
I hope MLF learns as much as Love will.

MLF has had plenty of chances to learn a number of things he still hasn't. I've been on the fence about him since the beginning of his tenure. Between his loyalty to worthless assistant coaches and sometimes terrible in game decisions, I'm becoming convinced that he's not the guy to lead this team to a Super Bowl once they are ready to make a run.

I expected a lot of ups and downs this season with such a young team and new QB, but there are way too many close games in the NFL to go full turtle and piss away 12 pt. leads in the 4th Qtr..

Not going to lose any sleep over the loss but it's still disappointing.

Since there’s no game thread, the Cowboys are up 10-0 with 7 minutes left in the first half against the Jets.

McCarthy has the best defense in the NFL. Dallas has outscored their opponents 50-0 to start the season. How’s that for a kick in the balls, my fellow X4 members?

The thought of McCarthy lucking into a Super Bowl for Jerry Jones makes my stomach turn.

@D J posted:

Time to realize that since Jaire got his payday he's been middling. And has hands of stone.

Jaire is a great cover corner. Even the plays he gave up today were probably offensive PI.

The problem is that's he's not a playmaker. He'll break up passes to force punts but that is completely different than a pick 6. It's the difference between forcing a punt that you have to drive 80 yards after to score or 7 quick points. Prime Charles Woodson houses that play today.

He's being paid to be a playmaker. He's not. He's just an outstanding cover corner.

Alexander - 66 games, 10 interceptions, 0 TDs, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery (no TDs).

Charles Woodson - 100 games as a Packer, 38 interceptions, 9 Int return TDs, 15 forced fumbles, 6 fumble recoveries, 1 fumble return TD.

Nick Collins - 95 games, 21 interceptions, 4 int return TDs, 6 forced fumbles and 4 fumble recoveries. 1 fumble return TD.

LeRoy Butler - 181 games, 38 ints, 1 int. TD, 23 forced and recovered fumbles, 2 TDs.

Tramon Williams -159 games, 30 interceptions, 1 int TD, 19 forced fumbles

@lovepack posted:

That would be hundred million.

Actually it would be nothing. first click, and subsequent odd-numbered clicks, would show the 100, but every even click turns it back off. The only result would be tendonitis in a few weeks when he finally gets to one million.

I think it was made evident to Packer fans why Gutey was tire kicking on Jonathon Taylor. Dillion is terrible and if Jones played that 2nd half goes the same way as the Bears game.

Too many blown assignments on defense and dropped INTs.

2-0 on the road to start the season would have been huge.

The Falcon's HC looked smart today but if he doesn't convert that last 4th down we'd be calling him a moron.

@Goalline posted:

Atlanta had a rookie RB last year with over 1,000 yards rushing and still took Robinson and it was totally the correct move.  Robinson is a special player.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.