Skip to main content

@PackLandVA posted:

I don't think I'd make that deal either, but Watson has a long way to go before he's in Taylor's class.  Love the potential, and they're different positions, but c'mon. Taylor has been pretty unreal for the 2 1/2 seasons he's played.

When Watson is done your only memory of Taylor will be from his days at Wisconsin.

Last edited by Goalline
@H5 posted:

Deadlines spur actions. - Andrew Brandt

Trade deadline is end of Oct IIRC.

The trade deadline should be the Monday before the super bowl.  GMs like it early because it keeps public pressure off them.

I would put the Giants at 32. Overreaction? Probably. I don't GAF. Losing 40-0 to a division rival in your own stadium on National FUCKING TV is 100% unacceptable.

That's so bad I would put them on notice. They could win 100-0 in week 2 and I'm still keeping them in the 32nd spot AFTER week #2 no matter what happens. That is how bad 40-0 was.

@Blair Kiel posted:

Jones did not participate in practice today and Walker is in the concussion protocol.

Late yesterday, I heard that Watson and Jones might be game day decisions, for the Falcons' game. Quay may also miss the game, if he is in concussion protocol, yet.

NO. I want the young guys to learn good habits and be good teammates, and that's not Claypool. He had to apologize to his team for the way he played against GB. No effort whatsoever. And if you can't get on the field for Chicago because of your attitude, that's a RED FLAG.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Barry going into bye week

"we examined all in-season coordinator changes since the 2008 season. The distinct majority of such coordinator changes happen in the middle of season, between weeks 5-11. These changes often happen heading into the team’s bye-week, likely in order to give the new coordinator as much time to prepare as possible"

https://pro-football-history.c...re-your-coordinators

Reasons for optimism?

The Packers next 3 games come against teams that are a combined 3-9 (all 1-3 at present).

The Vikes have beaten Carolina, the Broncos have beaten Chicago, and the Raiders have beaten Denver, thus the records of the 3 teams our upcoming opponents have defeated are 1-11.

The Raiders are in complete free fall. One of the highly-paid defensive “stars” Chandler Jones was just released after a very public spat with the team and some potential criminal conduct.

Garoppolo did not play on Sunday due to a concussion. Davante got dinged up during the game. The offensive line gave up 6 sacks … to Khalil Mack himself. As was the case during his previous head coaching gig in Denver, Josh McDaniels looks to be a dead man walking in year two.

Oh, and while the game is in Oakland (or maybe Las Vegas), the Packers will be coming in after 10 days off … and the crowd will likely be 50% or more Green & Gold.

The Packers then get a bye before traveling to Denver. This is a Broncos team that somehow gives up more yards per game on the ground than the Packers do, like a lot more. Denver is so bad it lost to the Raiders … at home, before giving up 70 points to Miami.

The Broncos are so bad that they somehow trailed the Bears by 21 points (28-7) on Sunday.

Finally, the Packers return home to face the hated Vikings. Minnesota has a couple of home games between now and the October 29 contest … against KC and SF. There is an excellent chance the Queens will be 2-5 heading into the game with a lot of noise being made about trading away some of their aging, expensive vets (such as pass rusher Danielle Hunter).

Oh, and Minnesota travels to GB on a short week as they host the 49ers on Monday Night Football on October 23 – and SF is known for a particularly physical brand of football.

There is a very real chance for the Pack to go undefeated in October as they will likely never have a more favorable slate of opponents/period of rest in a single month.

Last edited by SteveLuke

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Things would look a lot different on Offense and Defense if the team played more aggressively.  The problem is we have a very young team that is still learning.  It's hard to play at full speed when you are taking the time to think about where you should be.

My solution would be to simplify the scheme and free players to go all out.   Sure you'll get burned from time to time but the overall result will be better.  Add in some complexity little by little and progress.  I think that's what these "tough" teams do.  I don't think they are accomplishing this by doing scheme research in a laboratory.  They simply make sure the players know what they are doing and let them go wild.

Disclaimer:  I have no idea what I am talking about.

Last edited by Benzene
@Benzene posted:

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Things would look a lot different on Offense and Defense if the team played more aggressively.  The problem is we have a very young team that is still learning.  It's hard to play at full speed when you are taking the time to think about where you should be.

My solution would be to simplify the scheme and free players to go all out.   Sure you'll get burned from time to time but the overall result will be better.  Add in some complexity little by little and progress.  I think that's what these "tough" teams do.  I don't think they are accomplishing this by doing scheme research in a laboratory.  They simply make sure the players know what they are doing and let them go wild.

Disclaimer:  I have no idea what I am talking about.

Well that sucks. I had been taking notes. Up until your disclaimer I thought you had consulted with Jim Leonard.

There are so many issues/variables on offense that it's almost impossible to have a reasonable idea of what they are good at.  Former Packers QB Kurt Benkert broke down one play showing the receivers were running routes incorrectly or not crisply leading to disaster and suggested a veteran WR would be of help.  It may help somewhat but it isn't going to solve the overall problem.  There aren't just one or 2 young WR guys - it's everywhere - WR, TE, OL.  If you believe the 3-year mantra for a WR to get a West Coast offense, we're going to continue to see growing pains for "veterans" like Doubs and Watson.  And if you simplify the offense too much, it makes it easy on opposing defenses to stop that. 

I can't see Berry being fired.  Looks terrible to blame defense when the offense is a shit show.  I believe staff contracts are up at the end of this year so that is the time to move on from Berry.  They aren't a playoff caliber team this year and are trying to figure out if Love is even the guy, so nothing is really being "wasted" in a get-right cap situation year.

@Shadow posted:

Well that sucks. I had been taking notes. Up until your disclaimer I thought you had consulted with Jim Leonard.

You can find my full peer reviewed paper about it in the Journal of Uniformed Fans (JOUF)

@50k Club posted:

I can't see Berry being fired.  Looks terrible to blame defense when the offense is a shit show. 

Nobody is blaming the defense for the lack of touches for Jones.   We are blaming the Defense for being known for giving up 200 yard rushing days.   That has nothing do with the offense.

The defense has been terrible since Barry arrived and there is nothing I can see that makes me believe things will change.    We need to be building long term momentum end trending up as we build toward a run.   That's not happening with Barry as DC. 

From packers.com:

The Green Bay Packers have signed LB Justin Hollins and released RB Patrick Taylor. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Tuesday.

Hollins has played in 10 games for the Packers since being claimed off waivers by Green Bay on Nov. 23, 2022.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.