Skip to main content

@mr21mr21 posted:

I like the depth at OT but (outside of Jenkins and Runyan) the interior OL is worrisome with Myers, Newman, Hanson, Rhyan. Hoping one or two serviceable veteran centers/guards are available after the final league cuts.

Sean Rhyan has been having a good camp. Runyan was fine last season and appears to be playing well, this preseason, so why all the Runyan hate? Myers is the guy who has to step up his game. I can see Tom as our starting Center, if Myers regresses, at all. That hike by Myers, that Love missed, was how these guys are taught to hike the ball, when the defender may have stepped offsides. It appears Myers was the only guy who thought the defender was offsides, though.

@mrtundra posted:

Sean Rhyan has been having a good camp. Runyan was fine last season and appears to be playing well, this preseason, so why all the Runyan hate? Myers is the guy who has to step up his game. I can see Tom as our starting Center, if Myers regresses, at all. That hike by Myers, that Love missed, was how these guys are taught to hike the ball, when the defender may have stepped offsides. It appears Myers was the only guy who thought the defender was offsides, though.

Where did I "hate" Runyan in my post?

There have been mixed reports on Rhyan in training camp and he is still unproven at this point; and objectively be considered a bust. Wasn't he the only 3rd round pick (non-injured) not to play a single snap last season? I hope you are correct about him and he becomes a serviceable backup in 2023

I also think that Tom should be the starting center. My concern about Myers isn't just from that single botched snap vs NE. You also saw his performance regress last year correct?

What are your thoughts about Newman and Hanson as depth at C and G? Maybe I'm missing something and think they are both garbage

2 years ago, RJR and Newman were very solid, and played well for younger guys.
They both regressed last year, Newman more than Runyan.
So far this year, it looks like they are still at that level, perhaps Newman again showing more regression.
Both could (and should) be solid backups, but I'd hope we could get a better starter at their position.

Hanson is a ?. I want to think he should be at least pushing Myers at C, and would've been the first choice to get some of his snaps, but if Tom has left him in his dust, maybe not?

JMHO, others may vary.

Last edited by Timmy!
@mr21mr21 posted:

Where did I "hate" Runyan in my post?

There have been mixed reports on Rhyan in training camp and he is still unproven at this point; and objectively be considered a bust. Wasn't he the only 3rd round pick (non-injured) not to play a single snap last season? I hope you are correct about him and he becomes a serviceable backup in 2023

I also think that Tom should be the starting center. My concern about Myers isn't just from that single botched snap vs NE. You also saw his performance regress last year correct?

What are your thoughts about Newman and Hanson as depth at C and G? Maybe I'm missing something and think they are both garbage

You did not hate Runyan in your post. Many other posts I have read, here and elsewhere, have berated/criticized Runyan's play. I feel that criticism is unwarranted.

It's hard to rely on reports from camp anymore, imo. It was different in the old days when there were double days. We don't have as much insight just based on the lack of practices, let alone the lack of live reps. I used to take off work just to track the week of the first night practice when everyone knew it was time to go full bore. There's nothing comparable now. Players could build their reputation for a rebound over the course of a week after a bad practice. They were able to correct and overcome. Now it's a half ass tweet that hangs over their heads and the improvement might happen behind closed doors where no one knows it even happened.

Modern players don't have as much public opportunity to make their case and the 'gamers' have a tougher time breaking through. The evaluations seem to be leaning towards a bias of cerebral over physical and the grinders don't get as much opportunity to display their grit. Now it takes until week 6 for the coaches to figure out who has the compete to play in the actual games. It's a healthier style of the game, but it's watered down football from the old days, imo. The best teams were ready and went on the warpath out of the gates in the 80's and 90's.

I don't care that we're going to CHI in week one with a young team, they have one, too. That game is massive if we play well and get out of there with a win. It's also massive if they're able to run all over us and mess with 10's confidence out of the gate. The anticipation is building. MLF has some amount of pressure to have his team start more competitive out of the blocks than the last two disasters.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.