Skip to main content

Edgerrin Cooper headshot

Overview

Highly physical linebacker with elite top-end speed and a burning desire to get to the football that can lead to some inconsistencies in his play. Cooper is average at diagnosing the run but takes off around traffic on a mission to find the ball-carrier once he sees it. He can be undisciplined playing his run fits and takes unorthodox paths downhill, but he somehow finds ways to slither around blocks and make challenging tackles. Cooper is a punishing hitter/tackler from any spot on the field, but he’s going to overshoot the mark from time to time due to his lack of control in pursuit. He’s a capable quarterback spy, can blitz the pocket and will be an instant hit on special teams, but teams will need to balance the inconsistencies with the passionate run-and-hit mentality.

Strengths

• Plays each snap with unbridled passion and intensity.
  • Much more responsive and decisive in 2023 than he was in 2022.
  • Possesses elite long speed to walk down his tackle targets.
  • Skilled block dodger with ability to play around traffic without slowing much.
  • Terrific job of sniffing out screens and spying athletic quarterbacks.
  • Good blitzer with adequate cover skills as zone dropper.
  • Brings the thunder as a forceful striker.

Weaknesses

• Occasionally loses track of the football while searching the mesh point.
  • Could struggle with consistency of diagnosis needed inside.
  • Needs to drop pad level during block take-ons.
  • Undisciplined with scrape technique and plugging his run fits.
  • Lack of knee bend leads to inconsistencies as an open-field tackler.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From The Ringer:

HEIGHT 6'2"
WEIGHT 230
YEAR JUNIOR
AGE 22.4

AGGRESSIVE, THUMPING LINEBACKER who pursues ballcarriers like he’s a bat out of Hades and causes havoc as a blitzer.

• Short-Area Quicknessbadge
    Short-Area Quickness
  • Instinctual Playmakingbadge
    Instinctual Playmaking
SCOUTING REPORT BY DANNY KELLY

Cooper is tall, with a well-built frame and long arms. He plays all over the defensive formation, primarily as a stack linebacker, but also gets looks as an overhang defender or edge player. The former Aggies star shows good vision and anticipation for run lanes, and he consistently sifts through the trash and avoids blocks to arrive at the ballcarrier. He has high-end closing speed; when he shoots downhill, he accelerates quickly and arrives at his target in the blink of an eye. There are times when he overtakes opponents before they seem to know what hit them. Cooper is an effective blitzer who was often used right up on the line, sugaring the A gaps. He has first-step burst and a knack for slipping through offensive linemen to locate the ballcarrier. He flies in from the second level like a heat-seeking missile on blitz looks and finds ways to duck under and skip past block attempts to get himself into the backfield. He totaled eight sacks to go with 27 pressures in 2023, per PFF, which ranked 12th among off-ball linebackers. He also notched 56 stops (15th). He spies the quarterback and tracks down scramble attempts. He chases down the play and sticks with runs to the other side of the field, showing excellent hustle from snap to whistle. He’s rangy in coverage, flashing the ability to flip his hips and carry tight ends upfield or get to his landmarks and keep his head on a swivel on zone drops.

Cooper can play a little too upright, which reduces his reaction time, and he can get caught flat-footed and out of position. He occasionally overruns pursuits when he comes in too high and needs to get better at dropping his weight and chopping his feet to break down and make a tackle in space. He gets caught up on blocks and struggles to disengage at times.

WHY HE COULD RISE

Cooper is a rangy and versatile stack linebacker who tracks down the ballcarrier at supersonic speeds and affects the quarterback as a blitzer.

WHY HE COULD FALL

He plays too tall at times, which hurts his leverage and take-on power. He will overrun pursuits.

BACKGROUND AND STATS BY DANIEL COMER
  • A fourth-year junior and former four-star prospect out of Covington, Louisiana. Was the 11th-ranked outside linebacker in his class and the no. 162 player overall.
  • Played in 22 games (one start) as a reserve over his first two seasons in College Station. Was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team in 2021.
  • Became a starter as a redshirt sophomore in 2022. Finished the year with 61 tackles (eight for loss), five pass breakups, five QB hurries, an interception, and a forced fumble.
  • Started all 12 regular-season games for the Aggies in 2023 and was named an AP first-team All-American. Totaled 84 tackles (17 for loss), eight sacks, 10 QB hurries, two pass breakups, and two forced fumbles.
Last edited by ilcuqui

Interesting nugget from Albert Breer:

@AlbertBreer:   Green Bay was rumored to be considering him [E. Cooper] in the first round—as a potential surprise. Packers got their tackle need filled there, and now get the linebacker need addressed.

It's been so long I forgot this is one of the picks from the Rodgers trade.  So the final result of the Rodgers trade is:

Jets got:

• Aaron Rodgers
  • Will McDonald (DE, 1st)
  • Jarrick Bernard-Converse (CB, 6th)
  • Zach Kuntz (TE, 7th)

Packers got:

• Lucas Van Ness (DE, 1st)
  • Luke Musgrave (TE, 2nd)
  • Edgerrin Cooper (LB, 2nd)
  • Anders Carlson (K, 6th)
@vitaflo posted:

It's been so long I forgot this is one of the picks from the Rodgers trade.  So the final result of the Rodgers trade is:

Jets got:

• Aaron Rodgers
  • Zach Kuntz (TE, 7th)

Packers got:

Not done yet. The Jets 41 was traded for 45 - Coop and 168 -190

They showed some clips of him v Alabama and he was flying around and chasing dudes down.  The U of Alabama, not UAB.   He’s an elite level athlete.  

Now, so is Quay Walker and we’ve seen highs and lows from him but I’m hopeful with some new coaching and scheming they can see the performance equal the potential.  If they can, there’s no reason this can’t become a top level defense.   The Bullard add at a minimum probably upgrades their pass D and tackling at the slot.   We all know McKinney upgrades the back end of the defense.  

@vitaflo posted:

Jets got:

• Aaron Rodgers
  • Zach Kuntz (TE, 7th)

Packers got:

Not mention all the cap they eventually cleared out to allow them to sign or resign several others.

@Boris posted:

They traded down....TWICE.... and still got the #1 LB'er in the draft.

Gutey not getting enough love. That's some excellent work by the Packers GM

They only traded down once, with the Saints, then drafted Cooper.

That said, the extra 5th and 6th they got from the Saints in that trade were used to trade back UP and draft Williams and Monk.  We moved up 5 spots in the 5th to get Monk and 15 spots in the 4th to get Williams because of those picks.

The Williams pick is significant since Gute said that he was one of only a couple players still on the board at that point that they had a high grade on, so being able to go up and get him at that spot was a big deal.

Last edited by vitaflo
@vitaflo posted:

They only traded down once, with the Saints, then drafted Cooper.

Oh yeah....it was all happening so fast I initially thought they went from 41 --> 43 --> 45. NFLN may have even accidentally flashed the Packer G on the screen accidentally. but 43 was just ATL & AZ.

Still ....a great trade down and still be able to get EdgeCoop....that's excellent work.

As you say those extra picks netted the Pack 2 more players that have a shot to contribute right away. More darts to throw at the dart board 🎯

Last edited by Boris
@Boris posted:

Oh yeah....it was all happening so fast I initially thought they went from 41 --> 43 --> 45. NFLN may have even accidentally flashed the Packer G on the screen accidentally. but 43 was just ATL & AZ.

You may have also been thinking of what happened last year when we traded down twice in the 2nd round from 45 -> 48 -> 50 and picked up 165 and 179.  And with those picks we got:

50: Reed

165: Wicks

179: Brooks

Which, if these 3 keep on the path they've been on, it may go down as one of the greatest value trade downs in Packer history.

Last edited by vitaflo
@Pakrz posted:

I just watched a few highlight reels of Cooper at A&M... this is a bad dude.

GOOD!  I hope he brings the intensity and nastiness for this defense on every play.  Something that has been really needed for awhile now.

Here's the spider chart for McDuffie

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/isaiah-mcduffie

And here's the spider chart for Edgerrin Cooper.
Seems like they used more ink on this one

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/edgerrin-cooper

McDuffie played for Hafley and is a step ahead in terms of playing in the NFL. Similar to the McKinney/Bullard pairing, here we have the vet ILB McDuffie who can help get Cooper up to speed...and then watch him take the job. McDuffie will still see play-time, but this is a major upgrade in athletic ability at ILB

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
@DH13 posted:

I hope he makes Quay better.  This is his critical year #3.  I hope he takes that next step.

JMHO, I think Walker had a fair-to-solid rookie year, overall. His PF fubars tend to overshadow the many good plays he made, but I think we saw enough to know that he is capable of being a very good, if not great, LB.

Last year.... I don't know how to describe it. It was like I knew he was on the field, but I NEVER saw him... unless he was trying to defend a pass or tackle a WR 20 yards downfield. I also thought he looked much slower.

However, towards the end of the year when the defense was trying to get out of their funk, he started looking much better. In short, I think the 'scheme' or whatever the hell Barry was trying to do played a tremendous role in his performance. I think he was nicked up during the year, and that was a factor, of course, but not to the extent that coaching was.

This year, I expect him to return to excellence. I think he is a player that responds well to coaching, and playing a position that suits his skills will be the difference.

Walker is not a "stand there and wait for the player to come to you" kind of LB. He was at his best when he blitzed, when he was closer to the LOS, and when he was allowed to attack. Barry had him playing like a read-and-react seven-yards-off-the-LOS LB. It wasn't until towards the end when MLF got involved that Walker's play really improved.

@Timmy! posted:

Last year.... I don't know how to describe it. It was like I knew he was on the field, but I NEVER saw him... unless he was trying to defend a pass or tackle a WR 20 yards downfield. I also thought he looked much slower.

Watch the last game of the season vs. the Bears. He was excellent because they let him mirror Justin Fields.

@Timmy! posted:

This year, I expect him to return to excellence. I think he is a player that responds well to coaching, and playing a position that suits his skills will be the difference.

Hafley is going to have him hunt this year. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised by Quays performance all season long.

Especially since he'll have EdgeCoop next to him. I can't wait!! It's going to be special

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.