Skip to main content

Ty'Ron Hopper headshot

Overview

An off-ball linebacker with length, speed and agility, Hopper is lacking in field vision and instincts. He can be a step late to diagnose play design and has moments where he looks lost in coverage. Hopper has sideline-to-sideline range and plenty of physicality to hit what needs to be hit. There are holes in his game that can be exploited, but he has traits and should get a chance as an NFL backup with special teams value.

Strengths

• Long-limbed with above-average explosiveness.
  • Speed to trigger downhill and disrupt play design.
  • Can attack linemen with force or punch and play around them.
  • Flies in to make plays as a striker.
  • Agility and twitch to bounce late and find cutting running backs.
  • Can work past blitz pickup and threaten the pocket.

Weaknesses

• Plays through a straw with limited field vision.
  • Slow to key play development and stay ahead of blockers.
  • Lacks decisiveness and takes substandard angles to the ball.
  • Hard hitter but needs to improve tackle security.
  • Looked lost at times with coverage responsibilities.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@CUPackFan posted:

Reminds me of the Khyri Thornton pick - you read the draft bio and can't quite figure out why he was taken in the 3rd and not in the 6th or 7th.

Lots of names you could plug in there where the Packers value the player much higher than the general consensus. Hasn't generally worked out well in the past and hopefully this time is different.

Last edited by michiganjoe

I watched no Mizzou football in 2023, but Hopper was a team captain and Butkus Finalist. He played behind some good LBs his first 2 years at Florida and didn't get much playing time until  transferring to Missouri and then missed games his senior year with an ankle sprain. He had good games against top teams.

Hopefully the draft gurus are off on this one.

@Boris posted:

It just seems like you could get this guy in round 4 or 5.

Maybe another JosieD or that other TE that went to Buffalo - who's name escapes me because I want him out of my memory 😁

Another classic Gutey 3rd round bust?

First name that came to my mind was Richard Rodgers. Not a bad player by any means, just not in the third round.

Hopper said in his phone interview that the Packers talked to him a lot pre-draft.  I believe he had a sit down interview with them at the combine, and he had his 30 visit where he said he sat down with Gute, LaFleur and Hafley to go over film.

They certainly had a lot of info on him beyond just the tape before they picked him.  It wasn't just the scouts saying "trust me bro".

That said my guess is this was the highest LB on their board at the time of the pick and they need a lot more depth there with a 4-3 scheme.  They probably did not want to run the risk of having lesser players to pick from at the end of round 4 so they just took BPA at the position, even if it was ahead of when they would have liked to.

@vitaflo posted:

It wasn't just the scouts saying "trust me bro".

Gutey: I don't trust you Mr. Scout

They clearly did their homework on the guy.

They have one pick in the late 4th round. Really?? He wasn't going to last there? That's still about 50 slots higher than consensus. I'm actually ok with the pick. They clearly need LB'ers. Since they went over film, they obviously liked some of the more intangibles he has other than what he put on film.

The draft is all about knowing where the other 31 teams have a player slotted. If no other team would take him in round 4, this was a dumb pick at that slot.

@BrainDed posted:

trade up into the 4th to take him, you have enough picks to field a soccer team.

IKR?!?

Gutey mentioned he needed some of the guys in the war room to tell him to let the draft come to him in round 1.

He really wanted Jordan Morgan & they clearly had him with a first round grade as did some other teams.

I think Gutey got trigger happy on this one....and late in the 3rd had nobody to stop him. 😆😁

Hey if they had Intel that he'd get selected in early round  4, then ok....other than that...I just don't like the spot they took him.

Calling my shot right now. Average ST player - Orin Burks

Last edited by Boris

Not a great year for LB...he was likely the best one left on their bored because KY Trevin Wallace was gone. Love Trotter Jr but he was likely not the size profile they were looking for at that pick.

Packers have had issues D&D LB but I am hoping a better DC with a more modern scheme we will start to see every player on defense improve.

To your point @Boris in most years Hopper may well have been a R5-6 guy but it's a bad LB draft.

We'll see if Satan approves ðŸĪ­

@Chongo posted:

To your point @Boris in most years Hopper may well have been a R5-6 guy but it's a bad LB draft.

Ok I'll give you that. They got the consensus #1 LB'er in 2024 (EdgeCoop) in round 2. (I'm glad too) First time that happened since 2011. So yes this is a thin year for LB'er.

Some really good work in round 2 to trade down and still get EdgeCoop too.

I, for one, will be using this guy as my player to vent on. Aka whipping boy like Jarret Bush 😁

Last edited by Boris

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.