Skip to main content

Tom‏@Haudricourt

#Brewers GM Doug Melvin said club has eye on specific player in Rule 5 draft but doesn't think he'll last until their pick at No. 16.

Adam McCalvy‏@AdamMcCalvy

Interesting tidbit from Melvin. #Brewers have lost out on 3 waiver claims this offseason because of their middle-of-the pack position.
Greinke is a solid pitcher but that's an incredible number when you think about it.

If you are the Brewers, do you spend big money, or do we think a rotation of Gallardo, Fiers, Estrada, Peralta, and Rogers, or Narveson if he's 100% is workable?

I still think they target a proven starter, but it's not going to be a #1 or even a #2. This is where Dempster would make a lot of sense, but I don't know if I'd throw $12-13MM at him for more than a couple of years.
Holy crap, the Kansas City Royals just gave up the farm.....for James Shields.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstov...ity-royals-wil-myers

The Rays receive Wil Myers, considered by many to be the best hitter in all the minor leagues, PLUS Jake Odorizzi, PLUS Mike Montgomery. For a 30 year old pitcher. Three of Kansas City's top 4 prospects.

The Royals just got fleeced.

Tampa Bay's possible rotation in 2014:

David Price
Jeremy Hellickson
Matt Moore
Jake Odorizzi
Taylor Guerrieri

And that's not even including Montgomery, or Chris Archer.

God, I would kill for that kind of pitching talent.
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Diggr14:
I would have traded Gallardo + Hart for that haul.
younger/better players too.
KC = Dum.

The Crew used the same philosophy to get Zack and Marcum. Which got them to the NLCS.

Potentially it works in their division, but they do not have the supporting cast to get there thus making the trade utterly stupid.

We did.
quote:
KC has been accumulating a lot of good young talent in the minors for several years now but what has that gotten them? Not much IMO.

Bingo, not much indeed. Hochevar, Moustakas, and Hosmer were all "can't miss" prospects and all are missing big time for the past 1.5+ years. Add to that Montgomery, another can't miss guy, imploding in AAA and AA these past two years and you can see why they've had they're fill of "can't miss" prospects, especially if trading a few brings in a top of the rotation arm.

The Royals GM is fighting for his job, and all the top prospects that were suppose to make him look like a genius are pushing him out the door. Yes, I think they overpaid, but "fleeced", not until we see what becomes of the the prospects. Right now there isn't a single prospect the Brewers traded away that I miss or think the Brewers will miss, and in trading them have made Brewers baseball something really fun to watch.

Prospects are nice and I love to follow them and think of the future, but the Brewers were dang lucky with Hardy, Hart, Weeks, Braun, Fielder, and Gallardo. Thats a tremendous haul and I think Brewer fans have to realize how lucky they were to see these guys come through the system, because a run like that isn't the rule, its the exception.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.