Skip to main content

The Brewer Nation‏@BrewerNation

Shaun Marcum was on Sirius/XM radio this afternoon and told the hosts that the door is not closed for a possible return to the #Brewers.

J.P. Breen‏@JP_Breen

Ryan Dempster may be nearing a deal w/ #RedSox, per @Ken_Rosenthal. #Brewers

Tom‏@Haudricourt

#Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he's not in on Brian Wilson but added "He looks like a Milwaukee type of guy. He'd have fun in Milwaukee."
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
Please keep checking his blog and drawing attention to it. wave3

pimping al's blog again, nice. Without you an al, we wouldn't have nuggets like this...

(12/12/2012 0700 PM) - Al

Casey wonders why blacks are fatter and drink more in WI than any other state.

I can't say I know, except the colder winters and comparatively high public assistance checks probably play a part. Any ideas?

Glad that is the guy you endorse.
quote:
Originally posted by El-Ka-Bong:

Please provide some evidence that I "endorse" the blog. I do read it...as do you. Is the rest of the web commentary world black and white to you like X4?

Again, I'm fairly positive the during this holiday season Al says thanks for continuing to pin that thread at the top and quoting his posts.
quote:

Please provide some evidence that I "endorse" the blog.

quote:
Don't get your feelings so hurt when his stupid is pointed out.

Please provide some evidence that my feelings are hurt.

The only feeling I have about this is humor that you feel you are providing a public service by calling out posts that fit your narrative.

Anyway moderator, the offseason Hot Stove thread is a good one. Maybe just get rid of this hiccup (or belch) started by your comrade CA and get back to point of it.

Or keep it going...you know best...
link

After Rosenthal reported earlier Thursday that Dempster was nearing a deal with the Red Sox, Brewers GM Doug Melvin said this to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

β€œIt doesn’t appear that he’ll be coming to Milwaukee,” Melvin told the newspaper’s Tom Haudricourt. β€œHis agent said he’d get back to me and I haven’t heard from him. I don’t want to get into the details but we made what we thought was our best offer. We don’t know what his other offers are. Sometimes, you can bid against yourself in this process.”

-snip-

β€œWe thought [Dempster] was a fit with us,” Melvin told the paper. β€œThis may be one of those years when we don’t do too much. We’re still looking at relievers but we might see if we get a surprise in spring training. We said we didn’t anticipate going heavily into the free-agent market anyway. One of the starters that doesn’t make our rotation might have to go to the bullpen.”

I like it. Dempster at 2 years, 18-20 million I could suck up because it is not my money, but 2/26 is to rich for what you will get (and he will get destroyed in the AL I believe). Go with the young guys right now, and if there is someone hanging around in a couple months, make an offer.
So, Melvin has come out and said that the Crew will probably not do much of anything now in FA. Can this club win with what its going to put on the field next season?

I know the Brewers do not have the payroll flexibility of the Dodgers, Angels or Yankees but slashing payroll to under $80 million represents quite a drop. I know its all about putting butts in seats, but if the team isn't winning then what? Do we drop payroll down to say $60 million in 2014??? $50 million in 2015???

I'm mostly worried about the pitching staff. We are obviously going to go with a very young and unproven pitching staff outside of a few. That in and of itself is a little bit scarey...Thoughts?
Well, it's obvious that's the plan. Stay competitive and go young. It's a calculated risk not unlike the things that have made Ted Thompson a guy to argue over in the past. Your a hero if you hit, a goat if you don't.

For the Brewers, I really think the time is now. There are so many factors weighing against a sacrificed season. Gallardo is on year closer to a gigantic payday. Corey Hart is coming up. Rickie Weeks. If Gomez has another huge season, he skyrockets with Boras as his agent.

One thing this also open up though is the deadline deal. If the Brewers are in the thick of things come July, they can make a move to acquire a need and have plenty of room on the payroll. He'll, Dempster may end up in a Brewer uni after all...
I guess thats why I think we could have given the same or a similar deal to Hamilton. He instantly makes us the most prolific offense in the national League. Sure, it increases payroll but sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Maybe it was my own personal pipe dream.

Still need to address the starting rotation IMO. I like what the kids on the farm are doing. Love some of the outings we were given by them throughout the season, but now we are talking about a sustained effort for an entire season. Who makes the rotation? Who goes to the pen? Other than henderson setting up for Ax, what other rolls are truly defined? I think missing out on Dempster was huge, but I also understand melvin not wanting to get another Suppan/Wolfe type deal on the books.

Lets roll through December and let the countdown to Spring Training begin!
quote:
Originally posted by OkinawaMarine:
So, Melvin has come out and said that the Crew will probably not do much of anything now in FA. Can this club win with what its going to put on the field next season?

They finished 5 games out of the playoffs and were right there until the final week of the season with the bullpen absolutely being a dumpster fire and no Greinke in the 2H. Of course they can win.

This is a great offensive club. I expect that continues and possibly improves with the experience Segura gained and hopefully avoiding a start like Weeks had.

The SP is young, but I think can be solid. Gallardo is the known quantity. I do think that between Peralta, Rogers, Fiers, Estrada, and Thornburg we can trot out a decent enough staff. I especially like Estrada, Rogers, and Peralta. Would I like another experienced starter? Of course, but they are crazy expensive and I'm glad that Melvin is not repeating the mistakes of Suppan and Wolf but throwing market money at a 35+ year old guy.

The bullpen needs to be retooled and frankly just perform. Not sure if we have the guys right now. I do think Axford can perform closer to his 11 results vs 12 and that will help a lot.

quote:
I know the Brewers do not have the payroll flexibility of the Dodgers, Angels or Yankees but slashing payroll to under $80 million represents quite a drop.

The off season isn't over. And, instead of focusing on how much the payroll is, it's more effective to debate over the makeup of that roster at said payroll. Sure the Brewers could have given Dempster $15M. But is that more effective than getting 2 bats and a bullpen guy for $15M? Yeah, would have been amazing to think about Braun/Hamilton/Ramirez, but what happens when Hamilton plays only 80 games, or has a relapse...

I love that Melvin isn't repeating the same mistakes of throwing a significant part of his budget at free agents that historically flame out more often than not.

Are they going to win? Don't know. I also don't know what the final roster will be, but the 2H showed me that their is a pretty solid foundation here, and I desperately want to see the young pitchers get a chance, because how well they perform will not only tell what 2013 looks like, but can set the stage for a decent run of being in the mix every year. I want to see Rogers and Peralta and Thornburg getting a shot instead of yet another Randy Wolf retread that pitches well once every 6 weeks and does just enough to lose every other start. At some point we HAVE to give these guys their shot. This needs to be that year.
quote:
Originally posted by OkinawaMarine:
I guess thats why I think we could have given the same or a similar deal to Hamilton. He instantly makes us the most prolific offense in the national League. Sure, it increases payroll but sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

How much more money can they make? When you already put 3 million butts in the seats there was not enough extra $$$$ to be made to pay for Hamilton. We can't generate the local TV $$$$ like Yankees and Dodgers and Angels. Mark A is doing the right thing. Scale back and let the youngsters come through.
I think the Brewers are probably taking the right approach

As much as I like Hamilton and Dempster, the reality is that you simply cannot take that big of a risk at this point (for different reasons). If Hamilton goes off the rails your screwed with the cap for the next 5 years. If Dempster performs like a number of older pitchers do (i.e. Suppan, Wolf) that ties your hands with extending current players or going out to add a guy during the season

Surely, this team is not perfect, but keep in mind they were competitive with the pitching staff they will likely trot out in 2013 and I think it's highly unlikely they can blow 30 games by the bullpen again.
This is such a positive direction for the Brewers. Now if they can draft and develop some young players that become above average MLB players they will compete going forward with a reasoble payroll. Hitters always are available. Pitching is the key for the future. It will be nice not to see Randy Wolf and 1/2 dozen or so of the failed relivers in the box scores. Each day starts with HOPE!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.