Skip to main content

Originally Posted by ChilliJon:
Clearly evident today. Packers still need a replacement for Nick Collins. Plays down the middle of the field shouldn't have happened.

Need a safety than can QB the secondary.

Clearly the most glaring weakness on the roster. Burnett is a good complement, but I don't think he can be "the man" in the backfield. It would have been great to see what he and Collins could have done as a tandem.

Disappointing part is that the defense was, for the most part, healthy.  Yeah, CMIII was clubbed up and not able to be the full force he can be.  But, our secondary was brutal, and when it came to the end of the game our d line and LBs were simply domminated.  Second week in the row other team ends game with a more than 7 minute drive, when you know they are going to run.

I guess my concern is that with a Back-Up QB with little experience with the first team unit--the coaches decided to have him throw on critical 3rd and shorts or in cases where a run or two should be warranted....

I don't mind those calls so much with Rodgers under center...but, I think you have to scale it down a bit with Tolzien in this game...maybe not next week, but definitely today...I just thought they tried to get him to do too much.

Originally Posted by Fond Du Arrigo:
Clearly evident today. Packers still need a replacement for Nick Collins. Plays down the middle of the field shouldn't have happened.

Clearly the most glaring weakness on the roster. Burnett is a good complement, but I don't think he can be "the man" in the backfield. It would have been great to see what he and Collins could have done as a tandem.

again, burnett also got his big payday just like jones. some significant problems evaluating talent on the team.

wow, is arod a monster or what? he can overcome huge deficiencies in talent around him to make THAT roster look good. 

Originally Posted by noiropus:

again, burnett also got his big payday just like jones. some significant problems evaluating talent on the team.

wow, is arod a monster or what? he can overcome huge deficiencies in talent around him to make THAT roster look good. 

Burnett is more than capable as a starter. He just needs a real player in the other safety spot. It's unlikely that they're going to get another Nick Collins, but they can do a whole lot better than this.

The problem with MM was that his 3rd down and short play calling was real bad today.  He called the same plays he would call for AR--short tight passes, a deep ball downfield.  I know they said they were crafting a plan to take advantage of Wallace's strength--and he certainly couldn't complete those throws.

When's the last time we have seen a screen to a RB on 3rd down, a slant pass--easy quick throws.  Instead, it's difficult, low percentage throws.

Poor, poor playcalling.

Originally Posted by Packiderm:
Originally Posted by Pack-Man:
Originally Posted by Packiderm:

I think MM just swore! Get Lovie on the phone!

No, if Capers is fired, they need to stay with the 3-4.

At least Lovie can teach how to tackle and take the ball away!

Capers' defenses in GB led the league in turnovers or damn near every season before this. I'm not so high on Capers at the moment either, but give the guy credit when it's warranted.

Watching the long TD to Cooper again. House and Jennings has no idea where the ball was and just seemed to be running for the sake of running somewhere. Maybe Capers is doing a bad job of getting them ready. But my gut tells me Jennings simply sucks in coverage.

Is still like to see Hyde at S next to Burnett. I know Hyde isn't any worse than Jennings.
Watching the long TD to Cooper again. House and Jennings has no idea where the ball was and just seemed to be running for the sake of running somewhere. Maybe Capers is doing a bad job of getting them ready. But my gut tells me Jennings simply sucks in coverage.

Is still like to see Hyde at S next to Burnett. I know Hyde isn't any worse than Jennings.

House looks awful. Jennings is no Chris Banjo.

It is definitely on McCarthy now to save the season. Get your team prepared before the division gets away from you. You still control your destiny, and Tolzien showed he can bridge the gap. A week of 1st team reps will get him more in tune with the WRs, or at least you hope.

Meanwhile, the defense needs to do some soul searching. They got ran on, thrown on, out hustled, out-played in the second half. The D needs to man the F up and pick up the slack for once. Keep the damn team in the football game and stop giving up big plays!!!

Capers' defenses in GB led the league in turnovers or damn near every season before this. I'm not so high on Capers at the moment either, but give the guy credit when it's warranted.

They were 1st in the NFL in 2011.

They were 18th in the NFL last year.

They are 26th in the NFL this season. 

I give Capers credit for the 2010 season when our defense was very good. Since then? Certainly losing Collins hurt. Certainly Woodson's decline last year, and the intermittent injuries to CM III have hurt. But Dom Capers has a big say in what defensive players are targeted in the draft. If we're going to give him credit when the defense does well, as we all did in 2010, we have to hold him at least somewhat accountable when the defense is bad. 

And right now, this pass defense is deplorable. There have been injuries again, but the other teams we're playing have had injuries, too. Capers couldn't stop the Eagle backup QB today (yes, Foles is a pretty darned good backup). He couldn't stop Chicago's backup QB last week. He stopped Detroit for the most part, but they didn't have Megatron.

Our defense is consistently bad at tackling. They are consistently out of position in pass coverage. We cannot get a stop on third down in critical situations. The three TD passes from Foles today-the first, the two Packer defenders ran into each other. The ball bounced off of one, and into Jackson's hands. The second and third touchdown passes, there were two Packers in the general vicinity. But nobody could make a play. Tramon Williams blew a chance at an interception, too. 

This is the third season in a row where our defense has not been able to win games, or at least keep us in them consistently. In the last two playoff losses, we've given up over 80 points. 

I thank Dom for his service, and for his part in helping the Packers get a fourth Super Bowl victory. But I feel it is time we move on, and find another coordinator. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.