Skip to main content

Originally Posted by lambeausouth:
 But Dom Capers has a big say in what defensive players are targeted in the draft. If we're going to give him credit when the defense does well, as we all did in 2010, we have to hold him at least somewhat accountable when the defense is bad.

So the GM gets only credit but none of the blame?

Originally Posted by excalibur:

silent killer 

I've been critical of Thompson for going into the season with Seneca "I really don't want to play" Wallace. 

Capers, not Thompson, is responsible for coaching the defensive players week to week. He's the one making sure they understand their assignments. He's the one that should be seeing players not tackling properly, or taking poor angles to receivers. Thompson of course has a say in who is put on the team. Once the players are here, it's the responsibility of the coaches, Capers primarily, to make sure they have what they need to be successful heading into the game. Capers, not Thompson, is calling the shots. He decides the schemes, the rotational depth, etc. 

If anything, Thompson has gone out and found people in the middle of nowhere to plug holes. 

Last edited by "We"-Ka-Bong

I agree Bear. I can respect the Bears and their history. The Vikings and Detroit are disgraces of the Black and Blue Division.

McCarthy is a year late firing Capers. He should have been on notice the year the Giants came into Lambeau and Eli had all night to find someone open. And a hail mary to end the half. He should have been fired at halftime. Then last years debacle at San Fran should have sealed his fate. And then the first game this year at San Fran where he looks like Dan Marino. . Other teams make Kapunknik to look average at best. A one read QB who then looks shell shocked and takes off. Capers has lost his edge.

Time to get someone else in there but MM will just let it ride out. His PC after the game next week will again be about getting something fixed that will not get fixed. Capers needs to go. Either Perry, Whitt, Greene or Trgo would do at least as well as CApers has done.  

Originally Posted by BearNDesert:
Originally Posted by Iowacheese:

bares lose....I am ok with that

I'd MUCH rather see the Packers win the division than those thugs from De-Toilet.  (Three more unsportmanlike penalties for them today.)  Watching their doofus coach dance around the sidelines pumping his fist makes me physically ill.

B-N-D

or - lose the rest of the way and get a chance at a truly dominating player (O Tackle would be nice) - wouldn't that be a nice 30th birthday gift to arod?

i still don't see why you guys think that this defense can take us to the superbowl, let alone the playoffs.

even less optimistic at an early arod return given the pack's history of injury recovery - see richardson (cleared to play apparently, yet awol), worthy, hayward (aka might as well be placed on ir for the remainder of the season), etc...

Originally Posted by noiropus:

or - lose the rest of the way and get a chance at a truly dominating player (O Tackle would be nice) - wouldn't that be a nice 30th birthday gift to arod?

The rallying cry of fans of perpetual losers-----thanks for telling us what kind of mind-set you have.

Originally Posted by Blair Kiel:
Originally Posted by noiropus:

The rallying cry of fans of perpetual losers-----thanks for telling us what kind of mind-set you have.

Yup, way too early for that mentality.

(we may want to revisit saner options after three more weeks...)

I'd like Capers to be gone at the end of the season.

Use remaining time to determine if the next guy is in-house or an outside acquisition.

I saw poor execution from the players today, not poor game plans or coaching. The Packers D was routinely in the right position to make a play, they just didn't do it. Matthews got owned by Allen Barbre, Brad Jones missed tackles, MD Jennings looking lost, etc. Those aren't coaching mistakes, the responsibility is on the players to do what they're told. The last TD WAS on Capers though because he got spooked by Foles running so he called Zone Coverage, exactly what the Eagles wanted. Our D is legendarily bad in Zone. That's on Capers for panicking. The rest though, poor execution. Give credit to Philly though, they were sharp. They saw a weak, Rodgers-less Packers team and they were going to take advantage of that.

I would disagree that Foles was "sharp".  He threw 2 TD passes that were wounded ducks, threw another duck that Shields lost in the sun and it fell to the ground harmlessly, only completed 12 passes.  Even with all the Packers miscues--missed field goals, interception in the end zone run back into field goal range--it was still a game until late in the 4th quarter.

Originally Posted by lambeausouth:
Originally Posted by excalibur

I've been critical of Thompson for going into the season with Seneca "I really don't want to play" Wallace. 

Capers, not Thompson, is responsible for coaching the defensive players week to week. He's the one making sure they understand their assignments. He's the one that should be seeing players not tackling properly, or taking poor angles to receivers. Thompson of course has a say in who is put on the team. Once the players are here, it's the responsibility of the coaches, Capers primarily, to make sure they have what they need to be successful heading into the game. Capers, not Thompson, is calling the shots. He decides the schemes, the rotational depth, etc. 

If anything, Thompson has gone out and found people in the middle of nowhere to plug holes. 

If the players aren't good enough over 16 regular season games it is on the GM, not the DC. The pass rush has been one man (Matthews) for too long. Signing a cheap FA would have helped. Look at the pass rush the Panthers generated today against Kap-the-Packers-destroyer.

No excuses after nine (9) drafts. 

Saint Ted deserves his share of the blame, period. Take Aaron Rodgers out of the equation and then tell me about TT.

If the players aren't good enough over 16 regular season games it is on the GM, not the DC. The pass rush has been one man (Matthews) for too long. Signing a cheap FA would have helped. Look at the pass rush the Panthers generated today against Kap-the-Packers-destroyer.

Saint Ted deserves his share of the blame, period. Take Aaron Rodgers out of the equation and then tell me about TT.

I missed it--who was the magical "cheap free agent" pass rusher we should have signed?

Originally Posted by slowmo:

I missed it--who was the magical "cheap free agent" pass rusher we should have signed?

Osi was one --> http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s...o-2-year-deal-032713

The Packers couldn't afford that? Please. Add him to Clay and teams have double the trouble.

How about drafting someone as well. Nine drafts and one pass rusher? As I asked previously, take AR out for a moment and tell me about TT's drafting in those 9 drafts.

Originally Posted by Grave Digger:
I saw poor execution from the players today, not poor game plans or coaching. The Packers D was routinely in the right position to make a play, they just didn't do it. Matthews got owned by Allen Barbre, Brad Jones missed tackles, MD Jennings looking lost, etc. Those aren't coaching mistakes, the responsibility is on the players to do what they're told. The last TD WAS on Capers though because he got spooked by Foles running so he called Zone Coverage, exactly what the Eagles wanted. Our D is legendarily bad in Zone. That's on Capers for panicking. The rest though, poor execution. Give credit to Philly though, they were sharp. They saw a weak, Rodgers-less Packers team and they were going to take advantage of that.

The entire D sucked.  They all need to be held accountable to include Capers. 

The Packers couldn't afford that? Please. Add him to Clay and teams have double the trouble.

How about drafting someone as well. Nine drafts and one pass rusher?

Osi's done nothing this year, is 31 years old and was not re-signed by the Giants because his production was going down each year.  

The fact that the draft has only produced one star pass rusher is because they are hard to find.   However, under Capers in 2009 the Packers were 11th in sacks, 2010 they were 2nd, 2010 27th, and last year 4th.  Judging by those stats over the first 4 Capers season, sacks don't appear to be what is hurting the defense.

Take Aaron Rodgers out of the equation and then tell me about TT.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? The fact that the Packers are significantly worse without their best player, the best QB in the NFL, proves that TT is inept? Name a GM in the NFL that could have withstood the amount of injuries that the Packers have this year and still be in contention for the playoffs...

Osi's done nothing this year, is 31 years old and was not re-signed by the Giants because his production was going down each year.  

The fact that the draft has only produced one star pass rusher is because they are hard to find.   However, under Capers in 2009 the Packers were 11th in sacks, 2010 they were 2nd, 2010 27th, and last year 4th.  Judging by those stats over the first 4 Capers season, sacks don't appear to be what is hurting the defense.

Add him to a Clay and you've got something the other team has to scheme every gamed. Not Osi's fault the Falcons have tanked.

The Giants have found guys for years, TT can't, in nine drafts? C'mon, the TT worship is silly.

Besides, sacks are only part of it, pressure is another part, forced passes another.

Originally Posted by bubbleboy789:

What exactly is this supposed to mean? The fact that the Packers are significantly worse without their best player, the best QB in the NFL, proves that TT is inept? Name a GM in the NFL that could have withstood the amount of injuries that the Packers have this year and still be in contention for the playoffs...

Ecactly---Broncos without Manning, Saints without Brees, Patriots with Brady, etc---the elite teams in the league are all average without their QB.  The game today with the rule changes is designed to make your best teams the ones with the best QBs.  Maybe Seahawks are good enough on defense to win without Wilson, but they should have lost to the Bucs and Panthers this year. 

What exactly is this supposed to mean? The fact that the Packers are significantly worse without their best player, the best QB in the NFL, proves that TT is inept?

No, but in nine (9) drafts, take out AR, who fell to TT, and tell me all the really top players he has drafted. Especially on the defensive side.

This isn't only about Dom Capers.

Add him to a Clay and you've got something the other team has to scheme every gamed. Not Osi's fault the Falcons have tanked.

The Giants have found guys for years, TT can't, in nine drafts? C'mon, the TT worship is silly.

Besides, sacks are only part of it, pressure is another part, forced passes another.

I see---so the facts that I refute your point by showing the Packers among the league leaders in sacks leads you to refer vaguely to not enough "pressure".  Whatever that means.

But, in combination with the sack rankings above, lets examine interceptions, which I think might figure somewhere in your "forced passes" equation.  League rank in interceptions since Capers took over:  2009--#1, 2010--#2, 2011--#1, 2012--8th.  

Guess the "facts" are proving your TT hatred to be silly.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? The fact that the Packers are significantly worse without their best player, the best QB in the NFL, proves that TT is inept?

No, but in nine (9) drafts, take out AR, who fell to TT, and tell me all the really top players he has drafted. Especially on the defensive side.

Surely I am not reading this right.  Am I?

Originally Posted by ChilliJon:

So the Falcons have an aggressive GM because he went out and signed a great FA like Osi but it's a shame Osi ended up on a team like Atlanta because they tanked....

I'm trying hard to follow you on all this....

Never said Osi was "great". But he was a fairly inexpensive two year rental that combined with Clay would force the opposition to scheme both every week, not just Clay.

Did you see the Panthers dismantle the Packers-killing-Kap today? With a real pass rush, not just sacks but pressure.

TT is a good GM, but too many act as if the defensive problems are on the DC, not the GM (one poster even said Capers had a lot of input on drafting defensive players). Funny, I thought TT was the GM, not Dom Capers.

Ah, yes, we didn't have to work hard to get to the favorite argument of the TT haters.  Aaron Rodgers "fell" to TT.  We've spent enough time debunking/debating that tired saw, no need to repeat.  Nor to have to provide you with a list of top players drafted on defense, because you wouldn't accept that list anyways.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.