Skip to main content

Every year we get some reports of guys Ted is confirmed to have scouted or spoken with. He obviously meets several prospects and nothing will come with most of these, but I thought it would be helpful to track all confirmed interactions this offseason. This can be rolled into one of the other draft threads if the powers that be would prefer, but I was hoping to keep this to only known targets vs. speculation and our own preferences.

Max Bullough, ILB Michigan State (4-5)

Tre Boston, S North Carolina (7-FA)

Kennny Ladler, S Vanderbilt (4-5)

Trent Murphy, DE-OLB Stanford (1-2)

Jacob Pedersen, TE Wisconsin (6-7)

Gabe Jackson, OG Miss. St (3)

Eric Ebron, TE North Carolina (1)

Ryan Groy, OG/C Wisconsin (7)

Jared Abbrederis, WR Wisconsin (3)

David Fales, QB San Jose State (4-5)

Calvin Pryor, S Louisville (1)

Haha Clinton-Dix, S Alabama (1)

Chris Borland, LB Wisconsin (3)

*Round projections from nfldraftscout.com

Last edited by IL_Pack_Fan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are a couple of draft sites that report on what GM's and scouts are doing in the off season. The problem in using these report to predict draft choices is 2 fold, we don't know if the after the team interaction with a player if the teams  likes the guy more or less. And we don't know if a team real liked a player but never had the chance to draft him.

from yesterday:

First practice of Senior Bowl week

Height and weight for all of the #SeniorBowl players have been posted here - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

All the years I've been doing this, I've learned to not put too much stock in weigh-ins. Just another piece of the puzzle.

#Iowa TE C.J. Fiedorowicz with largest hands of the #SeniorBowl tight ends. #Wisconsin Jacob Pedersen with smallest - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

Notable short arms for #SeniorBowl DL: #Pitt Aaron Donald, #ArizonaState Will Sutton - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

#SeniorBowl LBs: Longest arms: #Alabama Adrian Hubbard (33 7/8). Shortest: #Wisconsin Chris Borland (28 7/8) - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

The main takeaway from Monday's #SeniorBowl practice: Isolate where prospects struggled and see if they improve on Tuesday/Wednesday

If asked to pick one player who really dominated today, it'd be Pitt DT Aaron Donald. But, that's what he did all year too.

Aaron Donald/DL/Pittsburgh made mince meat of Cyril Richardson/Baylor in one-on-one twice.

Minnesota DT Hageman really impressed me today. Violent. Did a good job exploding low. Needs to get free better as a pass rusher, but wow.

Loads of #NFL scouts / personnel guys and GMs checking in. Ted Thompson was having an impromptu meeting with his #Packers guys. Already.

Quote of the day: "Let's roll, yo"--Ted Thompson to his scouts. I'm dead serious, that happened. It was glorious.

Packers scout "based on what I'm seeing Tahj Boyd is not draftable"

Daniel McCullers/DT/Tennessee looks awful in drills. Slow and sluggish.

Justin Ellis continued to impress today. That train keeps on going. Don't typecast him as a LOS NT.

See Ford is embarrassing the other DL in drills. Weaving through dummies and exploding.

Chris Borland/LB/Wisconsin just keeps making play after play after play.

Telvin Smith/OLB/Florida State is like another coach on the field. Constantly yelling out to teammates

Had FSU's Telvin Smith tabbed as potential NFL strong safety. Coming in at 218 lbs adds to that belief. Need to see his hips, footwork

Telvin Smith, Florida State OLB, looks very skinny for a LB. 6027, 218. At that size, he's a strong safety convert #Seniorbowl

I'll stop talking about Kyle Van Noy/LB/BYU, but he's really impressed throughout. He's been a Top 20 guy for us all year. Showcasing it now.

So far, Kyle Van Noy has been top LB in each drill. Picking up RBs, physical/tight with TEs, looking balanced throughout. #SeniorBowl

Kyle Van Noy has the most composed, naturally balanced LBs here so far. Smooth hands catcher, composed feet thus far. Jordan Tripp solid too

One thing I really appreciate about C Gabe Ikard is he's always talking to the coaches and asking questions. Nonstop last week and this week

Gabe Ikard/Oklahoma, lining up at guard next to Travis Swanson.

#Packers and #49ers are very interested in #Stanford OLB Trent Murphy per #SeniorBowl rumor mill - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

Adrian Hubbard/LB/Alabama look like a b-ball player in drills. Very smooth and fluid. Easy moving around field.

Montana LB Jordan Tripp is super athletic. Dominating drills.

Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis had a superb practice to open the week. He's going to be a steal for somebody as a slot receiver and returner.

Last edited by titmfatied

@kenthodder Van Noy's ability in coverage is something that repeatedly showed up on the field.

And a GIF of the crime. RT Aaron Donald Puts Down Cyril Richardson

I think I'm the only 1 that's riding the fence on Chris Borland. Heard "I love that dude" a bunch and "good college player, bad pro" a bunch

Breaking down day 1 and looking at some potential Packer targets with Vic Ketchman at GreenBayPackers.com: packers.com/news-and-eventâ€Ķ

Narrated video of WR/DB one-on-one drills from the South team at Senior Bowl practice: philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/vidâ€Ķ

Narrated video of full scrimmage from the North practice today at PhiladelphiaEagles.com: philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/vidâ€Ķ

This SR class lacks a surefire 1st round WR, but I love the value guys in rounds 3-5 (Abbrederis, Herron, Huff, Grant, etc.)

Get all of our #SeniorBowl work, from weigh-in resuts to practice notes today and all week, at our Senior Bowl HQ: optimumscouting.com/site/content/2â€Ķ

The @SidelineFB staff shares their observations on 40 prospects from Monday's SR Bowl practices: rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4â€Ķ via @Rotoworld_Draft

I'm certainly missing the Senior Bowl festivities...but tonight is a great opportunity to calculate some size scores for my grading system.

Over 100 officially measured prospects can now be assigned size scores, which is equivalent of 10-15% of an overall grade.

Video:

Senior Bowl: Draft class begins to take shape

From 2014 Reese's Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL Packers.com editor Vic Ketchman and Tony Pauline analyze top performers in the Senior Bowl who may be an interest to the Packers in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Latest SI Mock 4.0

21. Green Bay Packers (8-7-1): Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville.

Clinton-Dix would be the ideal choice here. Since he’s headed elsewhere in the NFC North in this mock, the Packers turn to door No. 2. Or possibly door No. 3, depending on where you stand on Florida State’s 5-8 product, Lamarcus Joyner.

There’s no question that Green Bay has to improve at the safety position. Pryor, who recently announced he was entering the draft, will be a player you’ll hear more and more about as May approaches. He brings the hammer from the defensive backfield.

Originally Posted by turnip blood:

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014rumors.php

Some rumors about this year Packer draft strategy. Nothing earth shattering, they want to get more players makers on defense and get faster. They are  looking hard at safeties. They wantto  emphases defense over offence in the draft.

No big surprise here, unless it is smoke screen the Packer's not wanting to upgrade the defense would be surprising.

Originally Posted by DH13:

That's great!  Any thoughts on Pryor?

Definitely has the size.

http://www.acmepackingcompany....lvin-pryor-louis-nix

ESPN's Mel Kiper projects the Green Bay Packers to select junior safety Calvin Pryor from Louisville. Kiper has this to say of Pryor (Insider subscription required for the entire article):

Pryor is a rising talent with the speed and instincts to cover a ton of ground in coverage, but also the willingness to fly downhill and make tackles at the line of scrimmage. The onetime high school running back (and safety) was pretty dominant as a junior and enters the draft with a lot of momentum in terms of his tape

Though I wish we were drafting 32nd, I like the 21st spot.  Someone good will slide to us.  A very good player that other teams above us don't have a great need for position-wise that TT will pounce on.  And, since we have quite a few holes to fill I'll bet it will also be a position of need and probably a defensive player.  

TT has that label of taking best player available but in the past few drafts he's gone more player of need I would say.  

Last edited by Packy

Some rumors about this year Packer draft strategy. Nothing earth shattering, they want to get more players makers on defense and get faster. They are  looking hard at safeties. They wantto  emphases defense over offence in the draft.

No big surprise here, unless it is smoke screen the Packer's not wanting to upgrade the defense would be surprising.

Do people pay for crap like this?

End of season presser McCarthy said they need to make more plays on defense. More defensive players in camp = increased competition = more defensive playmakers. They are looking hard at Safety? Even IC could see that Jennings was a liability on defense.

Who wrote that, some guy named Joe?

From the comments field of the link:

I gotta say that QB from Eastern Illinois is really impressing me; do not be
surprised if he moves up to a day 2 draft pick because of the way he played in
the shrine game and now in these practices. Derek Carr looked good today and
with Norv Turner being the new O-Coordinator I wouldn't be surprised if the
Vikings taking a long look at him because of his rocket of an arm and he can
grow and that is what Norv Turner likes. As for defense Hageman and Donald are
absolute beasts, and my under rated DT of the draft is McCullers 6'7 345 pounds.
He is a beast, I know he isn't a good pass rusher due to his size and lack of
speed, but think of him in the run game , and also when a qb wants to throw
through the middle of the defensive line and his arms and body are waiting
there. That will cause qbs to think twice. He is most likely a day 3 pick, but I
really hope my Vikings draft him.

What about McCullers to replace Pickett/BJ?

Today the pads come on. Who wants to hit? @seniorbowl

Meetings for players are at 930 today so not everyone up early but #UNC DE Kareem Martin is down in lobby studying his playbook. #SeniorBowl

@P_Woo:

Derek Carr, Cody Hoffman and Jordan Matthews all up earlier to watch film. #SeniorBowl

Biggest thing I'm looking for today is if players learn from yesterday's mistakes and adopt and implement the NFL coaching #SeniorBowl

Out at the 2nd day of South practices. Mike Tice giving detailed explanations on what his oline needs to do better

Impressed with #NotreDame's OT Zach Martin, #OhioState's OT Jack Mewhort and #Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald in OL/DL drills so far. #SeniorBowl

Wisconsin OLB Boreland is one my favorites of the wk. Maximizes strengths, minimizes limitations in his play. And flies to the football!

Minnesota DT Hageman has had his share of plays today, but doesn't win laterally as well as a long DL should. Powerful hands/upper strength.

#Bayloe's Cyril Richardson struggling when forced to adjust laterally. Not quick initially, over compensates slide, then plays off balance.

RaShede Hageman just but Brandon Linder on his ass. And he did it with one arm.

#Stanford DE Trent Murphy bending off the edge well,quick initially and using active hands to disengage and transition laterally #SeniorBowl

The lack of off man/ zone covg technique the majority of college DB's come into the league w/always surprises me at Senior Bowl practices.

90% of these players literally have to be taught from scratch what the proper sequence is.

Today's #SeniorBowl North practice "winners": RB Charles Sims, WR Jared Abbrederis, OT Jack Mewhort, DE Trent Murphy, and LB Chris Borland.

Receiver wise, it's pretty clear that J. Abbrederis ran cleanest routes, had most consistent hands. Sharp cuts, stays flat out of the break

Chris Borland of Wisconsin was spending a lot of time with someone from the Ravens.

Thought Deone Bucannon displayed best press technique & jam in one on ones, which surprised considering he's a safety.

Michael Sam of Missouri really struggled today. It's hard to see a team spending a pick on the first two days of the draft on him.

Tuesday practice notes: Another mixed bag from the North QBs #SeniorBowl Link: cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-â€Ķ

Posted - #SeniorBowl North Practice Notes - Didn't hold back, nearly 2000 words. C.Sims/Borland/T.Murphy the winners: optimumscouting.com/draft/articlesâ€Ķ

Off to South practice. Better QBs (Fales/Carr/Garoppolo), LBs (Van Noy/Attaochu) and OL. I'll be watching OL/DL during practice. #SeniorBowl

Ravens defensive coordinator dean pee lbss coach ted monachino wrs coach jim hostler special teams coordinator jerry rosburg now at sr bowl

Ravens get look at Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews, wide receiver class at Senior Bowl baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/â€Ķ

Tennessee State OG Kadeem Edwards is impressing a lot of people at the @seniorbowl Strong interior lineman prospect #SeniorBowl #NFLdraft

NFL Draft Watch: Big Ten Wide Receivers Jared Abbrederis & Kain Colter at the Senior Bowl - allmediany.com/news/18532-nflâ€Ķ

Daniel McCullers can't help but work through drills too high. Comes up immediately....Will Sutton with slowest feet/burst after move of DL.

Why Vandy WR Jordan Matthews might be best bargain in 2014 #NFLDraft. #ExtraMile nfl.com/news/story/0apâ€Ķ

Fla State LB C.Jones excelled in pass pro drills. I have him rated as a OLB. He plays better off the edge & n space #SeniorBowl #NFLDraft

Oklahoma CB Aaron Colvin helped off the field with a leg injury. He's laying on the table with attention from trainers.

@AlbertBreer
Per source, it was just confirmed that Oklahoma CB Aaron Colvin tore his ACL at Senior Bowl practice this afternoon

#Florida CB Jaylen Watkins is one of the better players here that isn't talked about much. I'm a big fan #SeniorBowl

Florida corner Jaylen Watkins took to coaching very well today, progressing throughout practice in off man but especially in his press tech

Telvin Smith has had issues all day getting off blocks. Will only lead to more talk of him converting to safety.

Will Sutton w/ beautiful swim move around Gabe Ikard. Added weight may have affected speed after rush, but his rush moves/hand quicks remain

Dee Ford making every OT look like they need to move to Guard. Explosive first step, able to bend/sink to edge, maintaining speed throughout

Dight in cue, Ford cuts outside in to beat Morgan Moses. Such impressive first step and quickness as rusher, both inside and out #SeniorBowl

Dee Ford continuing to make OT's look BAD. Like the body quickness of Princeton DT Caraun Reid, but he has no clue how to win with his hands

Daniel McCullers/DT/Tennessee making a few nice plays today.

DT McCullers gets too high as rusher, doesn't look like he's going to win, but overpowered guys +won consistently against ZBS OL/team drills

Very impressed by the change of gears Texas WR Mike Davis shows on the outside-lane deep ball. Stands out.

Western Kentucky RB Andrews is doing all the little things this week. Step above the rest in blitz pickup of anyone in Mobile

Kyle Van Noy playing well in team drills again.Haven't watched him much today,but filled with strength inside once, opened, ran w/TE another

Florida CB Jaylen Watkins has lived around the ball today. Give me him over the other two Gator corners.

Outstanding practice by Jaylen Watkins, improving with each rep in technique and confidence. Anticipating routes, limiting separation

Florida CB Jaylen Watkins showed press-man ability & consistently challenged routes. Made some plays on the ball during practice today.

Dee Ford having success w/speed on edge. Chris Smith using explosive 1st step and active hands to disengage. Both giving OTs trouble all day

Senior Bowl notebook: How the week has changed | National Football Post shar.es/U47DL via @FootballPost who's here. and who's not!

Winners from #SeniorBowl South Practice: RB Antonio Andrews. OG Jon Halapio, DT McCullers, DE Dee Ford, and CBs Jaylen Watkins/Aaron Colvin.

#SeniorBowl practice report: #Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman and #Pitt DT Aaron Donald shine for the North - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

The best guard in the Draft IMO RT @MockingTheDraft Trent Murphy said Notre Dame's Zack Martin is the best blocker he faced in college.

#SeniorBowl South Practice Notes. Garoppolo narrowly wins "best QB" today, RB Andrews impresses, DEs Ford/Smith wow: optimumscouting.com/draft/articlesâ€Ķ

My Tuesday #SeniorBowl practice reports... North: cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-â€Ķ South: cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-â€Ķ

Tuesday's Senior Bowl notes, via @LanceZierlein, @jharrisfootball and @JamesMacFBâ€Ķ rotoworld.com/articles

2014 NFL Draft Team-Prospect Meetings list updated - walterfootball.com/draft2014meetiâ€Ķ

Wrapping up Tuesday practice at Packers.com: More on Jordan Zumwalt & a shift in the QB rankings? packers.com/news-and-eventâ€Ķ

South team practice page updated: draftinsider.net

#SeniorBowl practice report for the South team posted. Identifying the next Alfred Morris/Zac Stacy - walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014â€Ķ

Senior Bowl Day 2 practice report sbn.to/1cT3Kq4

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, Aaron Donald and Dee Ford have been the best Senior Bowl practice days.

Utah CB Keith McGill has the skill-set to be an exceptional press technique player. He is built to disrupt at the line & showed why today.

<small class="time">50m</small>

Iowa tight end is a throwback player gaining attention at Senior Bowl

<small class="time">20m</small>

Another strong day for CSU center Weston Richburg...Quick hands, quick feet and good balance. Blocked Donald and Hageman in 1-1 drills.

Originally Posted by YATittle:

From the comments field of the link:

I gotta say that QB from Eastern Illinois is really impressing me; 

After producing Romo and now Garoppola - Eastern Ill, QB U? 

On Garoppola at the Sr. bowl

“His delivery is the best I've seen in the last five years. He sees the field, makes the read and gets the ball out fast. Everything is a tick faster in the league so that efficient delivery is a big coup for his NFL future.” – NFC North Scout

Thompson: Draft-and-develop still 'best policy'

espnmilwaukee.com

by Jason Wilde Jan 21, 2014 -- 9:13pm

If Ted Thompson is planning on vastly altering his draft-and-develop roster-building philosophy this offseason, the Green Bay Packers general manager certainly wasn’t saying so at the annual Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

Thompson, appearing with Vic Carucci and Adam Caplan on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Monday evening, didn’t go out of his way to say that the team intends to dip into unrestricted free agency this offseason. Instead, when asked by Caplan about his philosophy to build through the draft and basically ignore free agency, Thompson spoke of his approach the way he always does.

“We just think it’s a good model to use under the rules of the collective bargaining agreement and that sort of thing,” Thompson said. “We just feel like it’s â€Ķ your best policy is to try the best you can – and it doesn’t always work out because sometimes you have to do different things – but you draft good people, you develop them, you get a good coaching staff who coaches them up, [and try to make sure] they like it there.” continue

Lots more past the click

Originally Posted by Iowacheese:
Originally Posted by turnip blood:

Sorry, I love Jeff Foxworthy. Ever notice there is nothing rednecky about the guy? He is laughing AT you, not with you, people.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.