Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Packmeister:

Anyone have any insight on the following mid/late-round prospects? Feel free to add your own favorites, if you like.

DL

DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California - Later (5th on) D-Line prospect at DE and may be able to slide inside to NT some but not full-time. Likely a better version of CJ Wilson.

DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State - More of a NT but could play on the end some. Could be a Jolly-type.  

OLB

Kareem Martin, DE/OLB, North Carolina - Tall, rangey prospect, not sure if he has the hips to convert.

S

Tre Boston, S/CB, North Carolina - Best of the three, has decent coverage skills. All about the same size.

Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt  (Casey Hayward's alma mater) - Not overly familiar with. Seems solid.

Hakeem Smith, S, Louisville  (Calvin Pryor's team mate) - Like him as a mid-late rounder though a bit thin.

CB

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska - Could be a taller Al Harris, could be Antwan Edwards but I like him. He'll likely be a 2nd or 3rd-rounder.

OL

Spencer Long, G, Nebraska (injured, but a late-round steal?)-Save time, draft 'em pre-injured.  

Last edited by Herschel

James Morris - ILB

I am a big IA fan, but not a big fan of James Morris at the next level.  Has good instincts, but not fast or big.  I would say he is a poor mans AJ Hawk.  I thought he played all right this year, but didn't make many game changing plays.  Not a scout, can't tell you about his hips or football IQ.  I would imagine he'll be in the 5th and 6th round, possibly a ST player?  

Anyone have any insight on the following mid/late-round prospects? Feel free to add your own favorites, if you like.

CB

Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State 

CB who plays like a safety...physical and a big hitter. IMHO, he'd best be suited to moving to S in the NFL. Probably the best athlete on SJSU's team.

Khalil Mack getting a bunch of press all of sudden.  Almost seems like a advertising blitz.  Mayock with his statement and this kind of press.  Mayock makes him sound like the second coming for Allah's sake.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah compared Buffalo edge player Khalil Mack to Clay Matthews.
Mack "offers a relentless motor, explosive get-off and violent hands, three of the same qualities I noticed in Clay Matthews when I scouted him at USC," Jeremiah writes. "Matthews is more fluid and has an easier time bending the edge, but he and Mack are both ideal fits as 3-4 outside linebackers." Our own Josh Norris thinks Mack could have a future as a strong side linebacker with some teams, especially if they implement an under front. He is a top five player in this class.

Mayock's take:

“Khalil Mack can play anywhere in the front,” Mayock said. “If you put the tape on against Ohio State, he dominates Ohio State like nobody I’ve ever seen dominate them. He’s explosive off the edge, he’s tough, he’s twitchy, he’s got a little edge about him. When I watch him on tape I feel like he’s pissed off at the world, and I like that. Then you put on a tape, I think it was Kent State, and he drops into coverage like a safety, reads the quarterback’s eyes, undercuts a route, one-handed interception.”

Last edited by Henry
Originally Posted by Herschel:

S

Tre Boston, S/CB, North Carolina - Best of the three, has decent coverage skills. All about the same size.

Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt  (Casey Hayward's alma mater) - Not overly familiar with. Seems solid.

Hakeem Smith, S, Louisville  (Calvin Pryor's team mate) - Like him as a mid-late rounder though a bit thin.

I wasn't impressed with Boston when I watched him for a couple games.  Seems to miss that passes come his way - late at showing up to the action - an awareness problem?  But somehow he built his stats - I just don't know how.  Sounds like what we had in GB.  To me he is a late rounder. 
What I have noticed is that there are a group of small college LBs that might translate to decent sized safeties in the NFL if they have enough speed.  I have to get some more data together on this before sharing.  In this thin safety class they might be worth a look.  But as I said, I need more information to back up what I think I see. 

Last edited by Ghost of Lambeau
Originally Posted by Ghost of Lambeau:
What I have noticed is that there are a group of small college LBs that might translate to decent sized safeties in the NFL if they have enough speed.  

I think Shazier is a perfect example, but everything I've read says LB will still be his best spot. He's actually a hair smaller than Kam Chancellor, but should be faster so I could see it working. Wouldn't mind Ted taking that gamble, but it'd have to be in the 2nd round.

My latest mock, courtesy of Fanspeak. I didn't take a QB, but the simulator also doesn't have comp picks. The interesting late-round QB's all went off the board right before I would have taken one....

DT AARON DONALD    

PITTSBURGH

I had a choice between Donald and Hageman, who has more of the prototype size. I just like Donald more as a player.

DE MARCUS SMITH

LOUISVILLE

Clay gets some help on the other side.

TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ

IOWA

The Hawkeye connection continues.... 

S TRE BOSTON

NORTH CAROLINA

I think Boston is our guy.

ILB MAX BULLOUGH

MICHIGAN STATE

Bullough here seems like a steal.

WR T.J. JONES

NOTRE DAME

Another wideout to bolster the receiving corps.

G ZACH FULTON

TENNESSEE

Some depth for the O-line.

Last edited by Packmeister
Borland did very well in the Senior Bowl and offseason programs.  I think he may end up as a 2nd rounder.

All you have to do with the guy is watch the game tape.   Despite his height and short arms the guy was a tackling and turnover creating machine.  His intangibles are also off the charts. 

I think his teammate (Abbrederis) might be the biggest sleeper in the entire draft.    He's not a burner nor is he 6'4" but he is a nifty route runner with great body control and toughness.  As a #3 or #4 guy he could do a lot of damage.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.