Skip to main content

No Levis in the first round is a big surprise. The Packers pick was solid, but a case could be made for other positions at the 13. We never really truly know until the fall (or later). Any chance Gute packages the 42 and a 3/4 rd pick to get near the top of tomorrow? And who would the target be, Mayer, Hyatt, or? Lots of intrigue for day 2.

@tsr86free posted:

No Levis in the first round is a big surprise. The Packers pick was solid, but a case could be made for other positions at the 13. We never really truly know until the fall (or later). Any chance Gute packages the 42 and a 3/4 rd pick to get near the top of tomorrow? And who would the target be, Mayer, Hyatt, or? Lots of intrigue for day 2.

Grab him!

@ZUF posted:

Please Get a tight end!!!!  

Darnell Washington - Georgia

Remember Keith Jackson, Finley, Bubba and Tonyan. They all gave us another dimension.    When Tonyan went out a couple years ago we lost a key threat.   TE is the missing piece.  (For example:  Kelce,  Gronk )

Bubba another dimension? Like where would he fall down!

@Goldie posted:

Curiousâ€Ķ.who said the Pack would give up their 13th pick for a lower one??  Just happy they kept it and ðŸĪŪ picked a defensive player.  ðŸĪŽ

Trading down was a possibility - I said it and others said it too..

Don't worry. I'm sure once we have 3 or 4 more first rounders on the defense THEN Joe Barry will be a fine coordinator. Yes I'm sure of it. 😁

@Shadow posted:

I know the draft has become all about the casual fan but I miss when I could clear the entire weekend, order an extra large pizza just as the draft was starting. And just watch the picks unfold hour after hour.

And the draft was Saturday and Sunday only. Only 4,000 fans at Radio City Music Hall. Those insufferable Jets fans and all of us laughing as they drafted another BUST ðŸĪĢ.

In the words of Archie Bunker....Those were the days.

Last edited by Boris

JSO Second Round Mock (paywall)

42. Green Bay Packers

Jonathan Mingo, receiver, Mississippi: This is a Brian Gutekunst receiver. At 6-2, 220 pounds, Mingo has the size Gutekunst covets at the position. He also ran a 4.46 at the NFL scouting combine and profiles as a starting slot receiver, filling the hole in the Packers receiving depth chart. It’s easy to see Mingo fitting in with Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.

45. Green Bay Packers

Darnell Washington, tight end, Georgia: Aaron Rodgers wasn’t the only one who found value in Marcedes Lewis. Matt LaFleur gave one of the oldest tight ends in NFL history almost 2,000 snaps the past two seasons, valuing Lewis’ blocking ability. The Packers find a younger Lewis prototype in Washington. It’s easy envisioning the 6-7, 264-pound tight end who ran a 4.64 40 at the NFL scouting combine fitting into LaFleur’s system.

@michiganjoe posted:

JSO Second Round Mock (paywall)

42. Green Bay Packers

Jonathan Mingo, receiver, Mississippi: This is a Brian Gutekunst receiver. At 6-2, 220 pounds, Mingo has the size Gutekunst covets at the position. He also ran a 4.46 at the NFL scouting combine and profiles as a starting slot receiver, filling the hole in the Packers receiving depth chart. It’s easy to see Mingo fitting in with Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.

45. Green Bay Packers

Darnell Washington, tight end, Georgia: Aaron Rodgers wasn’t the only one who found value in Marcedes Lewis. Matt LaFleur gave one of the oldest tight ends in NFL history almost 2,000 snaps the past two seasons, valuing Lewis’ blocking ability. The Packers find a younger Lewis prototype in Washington. It’s easy envisioning the 6-7, 264-pound tight end who ran a 4.64 40 at the NFL scouting combine fitting into LaFleur’s system.

id love this. best case scenario IMO. Mingo is big and can fly. perfect complement to Watson and Doubs

Probably the toughest thing for me personally is seeing Philadelphia likely getting stronger.  They already were loaded and add 2 more great prospects.

Philly was the perfect team for Jalen Carter to go to.  He doesn’t have to anchor a D-Line like he might on some other teams, so he can rotate and stay fresh.

I can’t stand Philly but you can’t help but admire a stacked roster like they have.

@DH13 posted:

SI thinks GB goes TE/LaPorta and S/Branch in RD2.

Is LaPorta a better prospect than Washington?

Eye of the beholder no ?

We're about to find out how the Packers have the TE class sorted out, and how many tiers they have for separating them. Its a fair guess we'll see TEs coming off the board early today - and if the Packers have many TEs at the same tier- then they will probably sit tight

If they have big separation between the TE tiers - we'll see GB move up in round 2 so they don't miss out

The teams that run the mcvay/shanny system will value Darnell Washington, others not as much.

GB needs to replace Big Dog and Lazard's contributions to the run game / MLF offense -  so a TE with some blocking skills and a bigger WR like Mingo/Tillman seem to fit.

Also, Gute has at minimum an extra 2nd next year. Highly unlikely, but he still has that in his quiver if he wants to spend it this year.

Gute comes from the Ron Wolf lineage:
"Draft the offense so they can all grow together and use FA and trades to supplement the defense where its easier and faster to assimilate the play book"

Using a 2024 pick on a 2023 offensive dude gets that player up to speed sooner
Again, highly unlikely,  but you can make a case for it strategically

TE is one of the toughest positions to learn, takes time to know both the run and pass games intimately.

Maybe it makes more sense to snatch a vet TE like Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett. Both have worked with MLF in the past, might be available for a late pick. Then add 1 rookie TE instead of 2 youngsters learning on the fly.

Last edited by Satori

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.