Skip to main content

Some comments from Luke Musgrave's coach

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers...amongst-boys-in-2022

“Truthfully, you would’ve seen it last year. He was ready to take off,” Wozniak,  told Packer Central. “With the injury piece, it obviously put those question marks up. ‘OK, what really is he?’”

With just 47 catches in 34 career games, what exactly is he?

“I’m here to tell you, he’s one of the more talented guys I’ve ever been around,” Wozniak continued. “It was such a disappointment for us as a team offensively and for the kid. He always works his butt off. The work he put in on the little, little details of his game in the offseason and then to see the injury happen as he was getting ready to really take off, it was a bummer for all of us.

“Nonetheless, he found a way to keep getting better. He is an extraordinary
athlete. That’s where you see the upside. The production isn’t quite there but he’s super-athletic, he’s big.”

( and he's an eager Beaver, apparently)

Last edited by Satori

more from Coach Wozniak via Ty Dunne

https://www.golongtd.com/p/gre...-hello-to-the-tight?

This is the quintessential Gutekunst draft pick. A player with rare physical traits Green Bay plans to mold.

“He’s so long,” Wozniak says. “He’s so deceptive even in the short area. He gets in and out of stuff so quick. The explosion he has, it’ll get him off press coverage. It’ll get him off free-access man. Then, you bring it to the run game. This guy’s a ‘pass-catching tight end.’ I said, ‘No, he’s not.’ He’s so damn explosive, he can get on these defenders so quick. He does a great job of not only covering them up, but moving them. That’s the big thing. His explosion is exceptional.”

Luke’s father played college football. His mother was on the U.S. developmental ski team in the ‘80s. The reason for Luke’s swivel hips? He’s been skiing since age 4 and has won events in both the U.S. and Europe. Wozniak notes that Musgrave grew five inches between his sophomore and junior year of high school, “and kept growing.”
Even at his height, he ran 11.2 in the 100 meters. “Just freakish,”

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but every last one of the top 100 guys is likely to have an extraordinary athletic/strength/chatacter/trait that associates them with another top level successful athlete. We'll always have the out of the pool jumpers, the 'he can jump over a moving car!' character, or some RAS score that correlates perfectly to a future HOFer (but also to a washout that will never be mentioned in the same breath).

Someone's always excited about guys who are long, bendy, explosive, combative, sudden, and twitchy to replace guys who all too recently were described as long, bendy, explosive, combative, sudden and twitchy, but despite all that can't play football worth a damn.

Hope springs eternal.. until July when fortunes fade fast under the pressure of production.

Yeah, honestly, I wonder if this guy has a passion for football....or skiing. His athletic prowess is undeniable -- just wondering about his heart.

What's his "RAS score" for his heart?

I don't mean it in particular to Musgrave, just have a general side eye towards prospects being given lofty expectations. They're kids that are 20% into their potential and only 20% of them ever seem to reach it.  I genuinely hope he's the next coming of the next best thing. It's a seasonal disorder on my part

Last edited by titmfatied

Peter B mentioned this guy's numbers are very Travis Kelce like - not that he's TK just his numbers are similar to Kelces when he came out.

Just an observation. You still have to want to play the game. - We'll see

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Having coached the likes of Tyler Eifert and Kyle Rudolph at Notre Dame, Cincinnati offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock knows what an NFL tight end looks like. Having worked with Josiah Deguara the past two seasons, Denbrock believes the Green Bay Packers found a real X-factor with their third-round pick.

“No doubt whatsoever. You’ve got a good one there,” Denbrock said. “I think the guy who really is going to benefit a lot from what Josiah brings to the table is Aaron Rodgers. He’s the type of weapon with his savviness as a player, his intelligence as a player and his physical abilities, he can be that type of versatile football player where they can do a number of different things out of a number of different looks. He’s going to be that guy that Aaron can really rely on to bring production to the offense that’s already pretty good.” Rinse and repeat

Deguara was a consensus reach as a Third Rounder and although a "try-hard" guy,  he is limited athletically. Musgrave (and Kraft to a lesser extent) is a superior athlete, however, as others have pointed out, that doesn't guarantee success. 3 key variables will be; 1) How does he react when he isn't the best athlete on the field 2) Does he like football as much now that it is a job. 3) Can he avoid injury. You just never know ....a guy like Sternberger, who was ultra productive in college, but tested poorly at the combine and did nothing as a pro, Kittle only had 22 receptions his senior year, but had elite athleticism for the position.

@titmfatied posted:

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Having coached the likes of Tyler Eifert and Kyle Rudolph at Notre Dame, Cincinnati offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock knows what an NFL tight end looks like. Having worked with Josiah Deguara the past two seasons, Denbrock believes the Green Bay Packers found a real X-factor with their third-round pick.

“No doubt whatsoever. You’ve got a good one there,” Denbrock said. “I think the guy who really is going to benefit a lot from what Josiah brings to the table is Aaron Rodgers. He’s the type of weapon with his savviness as a player, his intelligence as a player and his physical abilities, he can be that type of versatile football player where they can do a number of different things out of a number of different looks. He’s going to be that guy that Aaron can really rely on to bring production to the offense that’s already pretty good.” Rinse and repeat

Deguara found his way into Rodgers’ doghouse and stayed there. I am curious how he does with 10 in at QB.

@Boris posted:

Yeah, honestly, I wonder if this guy has a passion for football....or skiing. His athletic prowess is undeniable -- just wondering about his heart.

What's his "RAS score" for his heart?

You have to translate that from belly fire index.

@FLPACKER posted:

Deguara was a consensus reach as a Third Rounder and although a "try-hard" guy,  he is limited athletically. Musgrave (and Kraft to a lesser extent) is a superior athlete, however, as others have pointed out, that doesn't guarantee success. 3 key variables will be; 1) How does he react when he isn't the best athlete on the field 2) Does he like football as much now that it is a job. 3) Can he avoid injury. You just never know ....a guy like Sternberger, who was ultra productive in college, but tested poorly at the combine and did nothing as a pro, Kittle only had 22 receptions his senior year, but had elite athleticism for the position.

I read recently that there is no such thing as a reach as long as someone has the player on their draft board Deguara  is pretty poor in my opinion.

Deguara may be a better fit for MLF's offense than he was for Rodgers'. Deguara had a couple of drops on easy throws as a rookie, and many times after that he was ignored by Rodgers even when wide open.

Deguara has an incomplete grade at this stage of his career.

1 game in '20.

Little action until mid way through '21 coming off the injury.

50 targets in '22, 39 catches, 9.5 ypc, 2 TD.

@Fandame posted:

Deguara may be a better fit for MLF's offense than he was for Rodgers'. Deguara had a couple of drops on easy throws as a rookie, and many times after that he was ignored by Rodgers even when wide open.

Wide the fuck open on many occasions, including the 49ers game when they only scored 7 points. Deguara had one early drop and never saw the ball again.

On the few occasions Love played he was not afraid to go to Deguara including a long catch and run for a TD.

This loser:

@Goalline posted:

Deguara found his way into Rodgers’ doghouse and stayed there. I am curious how he does with 10 in at QB.

In fairness, he kind of deserved it if he was there.  Just seemed like a guy that did not make the most of some of the opportunities he was given.

@fightphoe93 posted:

In fairness, he kind of deserved it if he was there.  Just seemed like a guy that did not make the most of some of the opportunities he was given.

What opportunities? Other QB's go right back to a guy after he drops a ball to build up their confidence. 12 berates and ignores receivers after they drop a ball. Different leadership styles. I know which one I prefer.

@fightphoe93 posted:

A guy who can't reliably catch the ball isn't going to have it thrown his way very often, but I wonder how much of that was due to Rodgers' attitude. I mean, you often saw Brady go right back to someone who had a bad drop while Rodgers would punish a guy by not even looking his way for at least the remainder of that game. Rodgers went back only to his guys (Adams, Lazard). It was like he was punishing a guy for making him (Rodgers) look bad. That just has to crush a young guy, which of course, makes them more susceptible to more drops, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course, the young guys have to man up and learn to be better, but part of a QB's job is to accept that mistakes happen to everyone, and there are times when he has to pick up a teammate.

@Pakrz posted:

You seem to blame a 4-time MVP for a lot of shit.

Is the emperor wearing enough clothes for you? The dude with the ball in his hands is as much to blame for things that go wrong with the TEAM as he is with what goes right with the TEAM.

Individual awards? They don’t impress me.

If I'm not mistaken Detoilet,  who does not have a HOF QB beat the Packers in a game that meant the most to the Packers.  In fact a lot of teams that do not have a HOF QB beat the Packers last season.

@Pakrz posted:

You are going to find out very quickly what it looks like not having a HOF QB behind center.

I agree it is time to move on… but you’re in for a rude awakening I’m afraid.

Missing all those Super Bowl appearances? Wait!

The guy replacing him is ridiculously talented. How about we give him a chance to lead his TEAMS to big things.

Last edited by Goalline
@ammo posted:

If I'm not mistaken Detoilet,  who does not have a HOF QB beat the Packers in a game that meant the most to the Packers.  In fact a lot of teams that do not have a HOF QB beat the Packers last season.

TEAM!

@Goalline posted:

Missing all those Super Bowl appearances? Wait!

The guy replacing him is ridiculously talented. How about we give him a chance to lead his TEAMS to big things.

Ridiculously talented?  …….  Ok

@Blair Kiel posted:

I’m just looking so much more forward to this season than I have in probably 6-7 years.

I do agree with that somewhat. It will be very interesting to see how this all looks.

Im expecting a 4th place finish in the North. So is Vegas. We shall see.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.