Skip to main content

I have to say I am surprised at how so many here have ripped Love and expressed doubts about him.  His play last night absolutely dipped below what he showed over the last half of the season and the Dallas game, but every QB has a subpar game now and then - sometimes when the stakes are high.  I would argue that AR's "dips" were deeper during his last few  playoff appearances with the Packers.  Honestly, I was not expecting them to win last night, I was just hoping they would be competitive and continue to grow and build confidence.  Watching Love bounce around just prior to kick off, however, gave me some hope.  His body language, smile and calm demeanor was so much better than Rodgers, who always looked uptight or pissed.  As sad and disappointed as I was with the last 6+ minutes of last night's game, it didn't hurt nearly as much as the last few playoff exits because I know this is a team on the rise, not one that constantly lost despite higher seedings and home field advantages. 

@RochNyFan posted:

I have to say I am surprised at how so many here have ripped Love and expressed doubts about him.  His play last night absolutely dipped below what he showed over the last half of the season and the Dallas game, but every QB has a subpar game now and then - sometimes when the stakes are high.  I would argue that AR's "dips" were deeper during his last few  playoff appearances with the Packers.  Honestly, I was not expecting them to win last night, I was just hoping they would be competitive and continue to grow and build confidence.  Watching Love bounce around just prior to kick off, however, gave me some hope.  His body language, smile and calm demeanor was so much better than Rodgers, who always looked uptight or pissed.  As sad and disappointed as I was with the last 6+ minutes of last night's game, it didn't hurt nearly as much as the last few playoff exits because I know this is a team on the rise, not one that constantly lost despite higher seedings and home field advantages.

There are several IDOTs here.      

One week player X or coach X is a hero the next they are trash.    

As discussed last week, SF has a really stout defense that is tough to throw against IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD.

Add to that the fact that Shannahan knows MLF's offense better than anyone and that SF's D practices against a very similar offense every day and the result was going to be Love having difficulty finding open receivers.

The most critical success the offense had was on the ground with 33.  Our OL was winning enough to open holes for Jones to make money.  That's more about winning 1-on-1's than about scheme.  SF for the most part shut down Wicks, Watson and Musgrave and kept Love under 200yds.  We probably don't score 23 without the PI's calls.

I know.....it's fucking ridiculous. If the Packers had won that game last night they'd be talking more about what the Niners did wrong. I'm watching bar rescue Marathon on Paramount. Lolol 😆 I can't stand the pregame shows

@DH13 posted:

As discussed last week, SF has a really stout defense that is tough to throw against IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD.

Add to that the fact that Shannahan knows MLF's offense better than anyone and that SF's D practices against a very similar offense every day and the result was going to be Love having difficulty finding open receivers.

The most critical success the offense had was on the ground with 33.  Our OL was winning enough to open holes for Jones to make money.  That's more about winning 1-on-1's than about scheme.  SF for the most part shut down Wicks, Watson and Musgrave and kept Love under 200yds.  We probably don't score 23 without the PI's calls.

Every Pi call was blatant. SF is not good in the secondary. Love missed some open receivers in the the 4th. Most notable was rolling right and missing an easy throw to the left behind Jones on 3rd and 2 that’s an easy 1st down.
I also thought the Love sneak at the 12 in the 1st up 3-0 was rushed in hurry up and should have been planned out better.
Love is going to spend 6 months reliving what he missed and could have done differently and be better next year. I still love where this team is for the next 5 years.

Ugh….watching the NFL network show, and every damn time they show the clips from the Pack/Niners game they show HOW ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE THE PACKERS CAN’T TACKLE.  Just horrible tackling……my beef all season.     

@ChilliJon posted:

Every Pi call was blatant. SF is not good in the secondary. Love missed some open receivers in the the 4th. Most notable was rolling right and missing an easy throw to the left behind Jones on 3rd and 2 that’s an easy 1st down.
I also thought the Love sneak at the 12 in the 1st up 3-0 was rushed in hurry up and should have been planned out better.
Love is going to spend 6 months reliving what he missed and could have done differently and be better next year. I still love where this team is for the next 5 years.

The PI were blatant but at least the one to Melton would not have been caught, it was underthrown.  I missed the others.

There are always open guys that QBs miss.  The point was after seeing gaping holes with receivers running through them like deer season for the last month, Love had a tougher go.  Say what you want about SF secondary but they held the hottest QB and passing game in the league to under 200yds and about 60% completion.

Last edited by DH13
@Goldie posted:

Ugh….watching the NFL network show, and every damn time they show the clips from the Pack/Niners game they show HOW ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE THE PACKERS CAN’T TACKLE.  Just horrible tackling……my beef all season.     

They were a LOT better the last 4 games.  But they weren't trying to tackle CMC, Kittle and Aiyuk.  They are all blue chip guys and tough to bring down.  I didn't realize it until last night but Aiyuk was an all-pro this year.  The talent on that roster is ridiculous.

Better win it all before they have to pay Purdy and lose a bunch of guys.

Last edited by DH13
@DH13 posted:

Better win it all before they have to pay Purdy and lose a bunch of guys.

This year is pretty much their shot.... we'll see if they can beat Detoilet... Hah! Then Balt/KC

On the road take the points....stop being a meathead and "going for it". Analytics are idiotic...unless you make it then the analytics are GREAT!😃👍🏼🤓

@FLPACKER posted:

Or from another perspective, our offense was the difference....zero points on our last 4 possessions.

Probably not the entire reason for the bad last 4 possessions, but Tom missed those last 4 after his head injury.

Brock Purdy was peak Super Bowl Tom Brady:

Fall behind early in part due to poor QB play,

running back picks up the offense and not only keeps them in the game but leads the comeback charge,

team takes lead late when defense makes some big plays and opposing offense stagnates,

get the win and QB is given the accolades for a great comeback he had a large part in causing the need for.

Early in his career, I didn’t think Brady had the level of skill guys around him that Purdy has.  I think Brady made okay guys like Troy Brown, David Patten, and David Givens look way better than they actually were.

Purdy is good.  I think it’s legitimate to say it’s still questionable that you can win a Super Bowl with him, but time will tell.

Purdy is a shrimp that is an average QB. He did make a couple nice throws. The TD pass to Kittle (Intentional grounding before that but....) And the pass play to the middle of the field over was it Savage outstretched arms? To a receiver that had like 3 catches all year long.

Their team is so good that the QB just needs to be average to potentially win it all.

Disappointed with the Packer offense last 4 possessions. Especially that last throw on first down.  Situational football is important to understand.

Tyler Bass, who hadn’t missed any of his career nine field goal attempts in the last two minutes of fourth quarters or overtimes when his team was tied or trailing by three points or fewer.

A Packiderm Poem©

Stay with Anders

or sign a vet.

Get another rookie,

It's still Russian Roulette!

@packaddict posted:

Christian Watson was something  i was thinking about all game as well.   Like AJ Dillion i was hoping Watson would not play.   It seems like we were doing so well without him.   I don't know what the organization or Gutey is thinking for future but I would consider trading Watson.   

Once we got to the second half, I started hoping they'd take a deep shot to Watson. They had gotten a lead, and one kill shot might have sealed the game. If nothing else, make it a two score lead. They did end up trying one, but it wasn't until they were on their heels, if I remember correctly.

I also wasn't enamored with having Dillon play in a wet game with a busted thumb. Now that you mention it, I probably should've thought similar about Watson. He was barely a factor in most games anyway. Why would he be counted on to figure into this game? I root for the kid. I want him to become a consistent contributor. But in effect he may be a detriment to the chemistry they clearly were creating in his absence. It may mean nothing in the big picture, but Reed being shut out vs Dallas and Wicks not figuring into the SF game might be something to keep an eye on. In retrospect, we saw from Watson what we probably should have expected in this game. If he's not going to pull defenders deep, he's not really adding a new dimension to the offense. These are factors that MLF needs to sort through in the offseason.

From the bits and pieces I've caught from the major sports outlets, it seems consensus that the Packers played better than SF and should have won the game and that Purdy was flat out bad.  This may be true but the fact SF has better players really was the difference.

Their team was outplayed but it only took two guys, Dre Greenlaw and Darnell Savage to illustrate the difference good players make in a close game.  SF's roster is just so stocked on both sides of the ball.  You can get away with being outplayed for 55 minutes if you keep it close and a couple of your guys make the big plays that present themselves.  And the other team doesn't.

@DH13 posted:

From the bits and pieces I've caught from the major sports outlets, it seems consensus that the Packers played better than SF and should have won the game and that Purdy was flat out bad.  This may be true but the fact SF has better players really was the difference.

Their team was outplayed but it only took two guys, Dre Greenlaw and Darnell Savage to illustrate the difference good players make in a close game.  SF's roster is just so stocked on both sides of the ball.  You can get away with being outplayed for 55 minutes if you keep it close and a couple of your guys make the big plays that present themselves.  And the other team doesn't.

The Packers stuck with Savage for 5 years despite evidence he couldn't play. He was benched for parts of the last two years. He made one play against the Cowboys last week, but for the most part, he was a bust.

OK I can’t handle this anymore.  Yes the Niners have better “overall” talent than GB but let’s not pretend the Packers are playing DII football.

Simply put, the Niners have Greenlaw and Warner and we don’t.   That’s it.  But it’s a huge difference.  No different than a few years back with the Tampa LBs.

Deebo and Aiyuk and Kittle aren’t better than our WRs and TEs.  The SF DL isn’t better than Gary and Smith and Clark and Wyatt.  

Our corners are significantly better.   Their safeties suck as do ours. Purdy v Love?  Seriously?  Love is better.  CMC and Jones are a push.

The OL?  Yes Trent Williams is a HOF but so is Bak and overall it’s a a push.

Overall, the Lions might be more talented than SF.  Their RB duo is and if the weather isn’t perfect I actually give Detroit a real chance to win this.   Small hands Purdy can’t throw if it’s not perfect.  More reason for GB to get HFA next year as that mini QB will be cooked.

Last edited by Tschmack

I don't see it that way. SF defensive front is the best in the NFL and better than ours. The trio of Samuels, Aiyuk, and Kittle are better than any combination we can put out there. Their DBs don't have to be great with their front & ILBers. Since Bak didn't play & Tom went out of the game, in this game they had the better o-line.

JFC did you actually watch the game?

Their DL is so good they got how many pressures and sacks against GB?

The difference is the SF linebackers are elite.  The Packers?  Not so much.

And if you think the SF receivers and TEs are better?  No way.

Last edited by Tschmack

You are basing your opinion on one game. I am talking about each player's / position groups body of work for the entire season /  careers. It makes it even more impressive that we should have won this game, our guys did outplay some of theirs for this one game, it doesn't mean they are better players, and would do so every time they played.

Congratulations are in order for running back Christian McCaffrey (unanimous), linebacker Fred Warner (unanimous), tackle Trent Williams, tight end George Kittle and fullback Kyle Juszczyk for their First-Team All-Pro selections and wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk and cornerback Charvarius Ward for their Second-Team All-Pro selections.

Trent Williams, Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, Talanoa Hufanga, George Kittle and George Odum earned AP All-Pro honors for the 2022 season.

That's 10 All-pro's over the last 2 years.  All-Pro is not a popularity contest.  True blue chippers make a difference.  They have 10 of them. 10.

....and the Packers have zero and should've won.

Last 4 drives of the game.....probably cost Jordan Love $10M a year. If the Packers win that game, Love would be in Mahomes & Burrow  territory.

Just finished watching Mike Wahle’s breakdown.  Oh man when they watch the film Packers really had some chances to put that game away.  So very very close.  On the failed third down check down to Jones, Reed is wide wide open behind him at the 50 to extend that drive.  Just another example of a young team having to grow through some growing pain.  Effort was there no doubt and boy the future sure looks good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.