Skip to main content

@vitaflo posted:

This is honestly the biggest concern.  You can teach RB's to block.  Dillon never caught a pass in college but has very soft hands for a RB and did fine.  But it doesn't get easier to hold the rock in the NFL.

That said Jones had his issues at times as well.

Especially at KEY times.

@vitaflo posted:

This is honestly the biggest concern.  You can teach RB's to block.  Dillon never caught a pass in college but has very soft hands for a RB and did fine.  But it doesn't get easier to hold the rock in the NFL.

That said Jones had his issues at times as well.

Tiki Barber says: Hi! They cured his fumbling.

@michiganjoe posted:

Biggest knocks I've seen on him are ball security and pass pro.

His technique is shaky, but the guy sticks his face in there like few college guys do, so I think the coaches can work that out.

The fumbling is irritating, but that will hopefully be worked out, too.

@Boris posted:

Isaac Guerendo was on the board too (SF took him at #129 in the 4th)

So they clearly liked Lloyd a LOT better

My guess…he’s fast but runs too high…not great for outside zone runs. To quote Gutey…”I like our room.”

@Chongo posted:

My guess…he’s fast but runs too high…not great for outside zone runs. To quote Gutey…”I like our room.”

Good point. He also has incredible burst through the hole when he sees it.  Haven't seen someone hit a hole that fast since my junior prom.

But if he's going in too high he's gonna be more likely to fumble.  Also like my junior prom.

Defenses will grope him mercilessly until he runs their ass over and hangs onto the rock. Welcome to the NFL, rookie

Jones was a college fumbler too and he definitely got better- but still coughed up a few

From The Athletic, Dane Brugler

RB5

STRENGTHS: Bursty athlete … makes dynamic lateral cuts with the start-stop footwork to make multiple defenders miss … above-average patience and processing, and he uses blockers to his advantage … doesn’t have elite top-end speed but flashes the initial acceleration out of cuts to reach the edges … tough player who strikes squarely because of his agile, well-timed cuts and change-of-direction skills (in tight quarters and in space) … lower-body strength and balance help him regroup and stay afloat when bouncing off contact … his adjustments as a pass catcher show off his loose movements … steady ball skills (one drop in 2023) … the words “determination” and “toughness” are frequently mentioned in his character reviews by coaches and scouts … fewer than 300 carries on his college odometer and wasn’t overused … led his team in rushing each of the last two seasons, at different programs.

WEAKNESSES: Gets bounce-happy at times and passes up workable lanes for the unknown … inconsistent pad level and forward lean as a finisher and can b e knocked backwards at contact … workable frame for the position but doesn’t have run-through power in his hips/legs … fumbled eight times in college, including three times in 2023 … wasn’t asked to be a volume runner at USC and had more games with single-digit carries (six) than double-digit (five) in 2023 … has some rough reps on tape in pass protection … very little special-teams experience … durability will be questioned after he missed time in each of his four college seasons, including with a torn ACL in his left knee (August 2020), which forced him to redshirt during his first season at South Carolina; missed three games as a sophomore because of a “deep” thigh contusion (October 2022); missed his sophomore season in high school with a broken left arm (August 2017).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at USC, Lloyd was the top back on the depth chart in head coach Lincoln Riley’s RPO, spread (multiple-run) scheme. After three years at South Carolina, he transferred to the Trojans and had a productive 2023 season (led the team in rushing in 11 of 12 regular-season games), finishing as one of only five FBS running backs to average more than 7.0 yards per carry. With his vision and dynamic cutting skills, Lloyd is a shift y runner with the short-area explosion and lateral agility to leave defenders diving at air (20.87 percent of his carries resulted in a 10-plus-yard gain). He frequently springs free because of the creativity he shows with the ball in his hands, although he relies too much on his east-west options and needs to be more consistent finishing runs. Overall, Lloyd doesn’t have the profile of a high-volume back, but he can spark an NFL offense with his mix of patience, burst and promise as a pass catcher.

GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 91 overall)

I remember a RB, don't know who, but they worked on his fumble tendicies by having him carry water soaked footballs and having defenders slap at the ball during practice.  It may have been Ahman Green. That was supposedly the reason the Seahawks parted ways with him.

@vitaflo posted:

Good point. He also has incredible burst through the hole when he sees it.  Haven't seen someone hit a hole that fast since my junior prom.

But if he's going in too high he's gonna be more likely to fumble.  Also like my junior prom.

I see more of an explosion when he hits the hole.

Like any jr prom.

Finally was able to watch enough tape on Lloyd and Jalen Wright.

In a straight line, Wright is going to win every time.

In a phone booth, Lloyd is your Huckleberry.

Dude waits for the hole to open, and gets through it faster than anyone I've seen in a long time. His style, I am guessing, with all the zone concepts the Packers run, is the main reason he was top RB on their board.

If the hole is there, Wright can get through it clean...and he will go the distance. If it's not there, he's not going very far. Lloyd will buy himself just enough time and find the crease.

Also impressive...Caleb Williams was absolute dog shit on handoffs. Seldom were the handoffs as clean as they need to be...thereby causing further delay. Lloyd will not have to deal with that with #10...he will get the ball as clean as he ever has...and that will also make the difference.

@Chongo posted:

Also impressive...Caleb Williams was absolute dog shit on handoffs. Seldom were the handoffs as clean as they need to be...thereby causing further delay. Lloyd will not have to deal with that with #10...he will get the ball as clean as he ever has...and that will also make the difference.

Noticed the same thing. A couple fumbles were a result of Calebs horrible handoff style.  I get they are running read-option with two hands on the ball but it looked really awkward.

Speaking of handoffs by Caleb....

@ammo posted:

I remember a RB, don't know who, but they worked on his fumble tendicies by having him carry water soaked footballs and having defenders slap at the ball during practice.  It may have been Ahman Green. That was supposedly the reason the Seahawks parted ways with him.

I remember Ahman Green wearing rubber-like elbow pads/sleeves when he carried the ball. The ball would slip loose, on contact, and Green would fumble the ball. He switched to cloth based forearm and elbow pads where the ball was more secure and he quit fumbling.

IIRC, he went to the rubber forearm sleeves as an attempt to stop the fumbling.  They work when dry.  But then one of the first games he wore them, it was wet and he coughed the ball up.  No more rubber sleeves.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.