Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@DurangoDoug posted:

Wondering if they keep 6 or 7 WR's, and who the odd man out will be, Samori Toure? Either way some pretty good WR talent won't make the 53. Pretty sure they keep 3 TE's.

They may keep 4 TEs. Kraft, Musgrave and Sims make the cut.  Davis could make the cut, solely as a STs standout. UDFA Messiah Swinson goes to the PS.

I see Toure as odd man out on the WR squad. DuBose may make the team, again, this time around, especially if there are injuries to any of the other WRs. They won't demote Heath as he is one of our best blocking WRs. Injuries to others will tell the tale of who makes the team.

@mrtundra posted:

They may keep 4 TEs. Kraft, Musgrave and Sims make the cut.  Davis could make the cut, solely as a STs standout. UDFA Messiah Swinson goes to the PS.

I see Toure as odd man out on the WR squad. DuBose may make the team, again, this time around, especially if there are injuries to any of the other WRs. They won't demote Heath as he is one of our best blocking WRs. Injuries to others will tell the tale of who makes the team.

They demoted Heath last year. There is another receiver on the team who blocks better than Heath. Watson!

Last edited by Goalline

From Ted Nguyen at The Athletic

LaFleurโ€™s designs and timing consistently help create explosive and easy opportunities for Love. With a group as versatile and deep as the Packers have, heโ€™ll keep defensive coordinators on their toes with all the personnel groupings heโ€™ll deploy.

LaFleur loves multiple tight end sets and next season heโ€™ll have his most talented tight end duo. Musgrave and Tucker Kraft were productive in spurts as rookies. Musgrave is a size-and-speed freak. He was finding his footing in the offense before missing Weeks 12-17 with a lacerated kidney. He had three receptions for 52 yards against the Cowboys in the playoffs. Kraft didnโ€™t get a lot of snaps until Musgrave was hurt but had 28 receptions and 344 yards in the final eight games of the season.

What will be most interesting is how LaFleur uses his receivers situationally. Even if a clear top three emerges, you canโ€™t let all that talent waste away on the bench. What sort of concepts or plays will certain receivers be used more in? Will he have a certain package of plays for different groupings of wide receivers?

This is the dude in charge of developing the Packers deeeeep WR room
He's been in the building for 3 years, so they know who he is as a coach

https://www.packers.com/team/c...roster/ryan-mahaffey

The Green Bay Packers announced the promotion of Ryan Mahaffey
(muh-HAFF-ee) to wide receivers coach on March 12, 2024.

Mahaffey enters his fourth season with the Packers, having originally joined Green Bay in 2021 as an offensive quality control coach. He has spent the past two seasons as the assistant offensive line coach for the Packers. Mahaffey came to Green Bay after coaching in college from 2013-20.

The former tight end/fullback at Northern Iowa (2007-10) spent the 2019-20 seasons at his alma mater as the offensive coordinator. Mahaffey also worked as the recruiting coordinator/tight ends (2013) and co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers (2016) at UNI.

Between those stints, he was a graduate assistant/wide receivers coach at Notre Dame (2014-15) and the tight ends coach at Western Kentucky (2017-18). After his collegiate playing career, Mahaffey signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2011 and appeared in five games that season for the Indianapolis Colts. In 2012, he spent some time with the Miami Dolphins.

TE Coach in Titletown:  John Dunn

https://www.packers.com/team/coaches-roster/john-dunn

Entering his 7th season as a coach in the NFL, John Dunn begins his 3rd season with the Packers and second as tight ends coach after being promoted on Feb. 5, 2022. Dunn served as a senior analyst in Green Bay in 2021 after being hired on March 1, 2021, by Head Coach Matt LaFleur. Dunn is entering his 20th season of coaching in college or the NFL.

In 2022, Dunn worked with TE Robert Tonyan, who posted a career-best 53 receptions, marking the second 50-plus-catch season of his career (52 in 2020) to tie Paul Coffman for the second most by a Packer tight end (Jermichael Finley, three). Among tight ends, Tonyan ranked No. 4 in the NFL with a 79.1 reception percentage.

@Satori posted:

This is the dude in charge of developing the Packers deeeeep WR room
He's been in the building for 3 years, so they know who he is as a coach

https://www.packers.com/team/c...roster/ryan-mahaffey

The Green Bay Packers announced the promotion of Ryan Mahaffey
(muh-HAFF-ee) to wide receivers coach on March 12, 2024.

Mahaffey enters his fourth season with the Packers, having originally joined Green Bay in 2021 as an offensive quality control coach. He has spent the past two seasons as the assistant offensive line coach for the Packers. Mahaffey came to Green Bay after coaching in college from 2013-20.

Who was WR coach last year?

This one is from the fine folks at PFF - talking about why Jaden Reed is a lousy fantasy option. They're not rong. MLF offense leans heavily on 2 WR sets

https://www.pff.com/news/fanta...d-on-their-2024-role

Reed was a very productive wide receiver as a rookie, but the only problem was his 24 routes per game. He ran that few routes because he exclusively played in 3-receiver sets.

The Packers took 378 snaps in 2 receiver sets in the regular season, including several without Christian Watson, and Reed took only 14 snaps in two receiver sets. He was out-snapped by Romeo Doubs, Watson, Dontayvion Wicks, Malik Heath, Bo Melton and Samori Toure. Of those 14 plays, Reed was primarily used as a rushing option or rushing decoy.

It could be difficult for Reed to gain more time in 2 receiver sets in his second year. The Packers kept their wide receivers in their usual roles the 2nd-most of all teams last season. Romeo Doubs was the X receiver, Christian Watson the Z and Dontayvion Wicks the primary backup to both. Wicks graded slightly better than Reed, and if anyone gains more playing time in 2-receiver sets, it might be Wicks. Even Melton emerged as an option late in the season, earning an 85.1 receiving grade on 79 routes, almost all from the final four weeks of the season.

The easiest way for a slot receiver who doesnโ€™t play in 2- receiver sets to become a consistent fantasy asset is the team playing a lot of 11 personnel, but the Packers were right at league average at a 63.3% rate. They were at 54.2% during tie games, which was well below league average compared to other teams when tied. They were also at a 57.0% rate when playing with a lead, which is a lower rate compared to others with a lead."

Despite the Packers impressive depth and talent at WR, MLF still wanted a heavier offensive package 35 - 45 % of the time.

( which often leads to a "heavier" defense ... and that's easier to throw against)

The skyโ€™s the limit for these guys. Canโ€™t wait to see the fireworks from these guys this season.

For those of us old enough to remember the tough years between SBII and SBXXXI, we can tell you we are incredibly spoiled to get about 30 years from Bert and Aaron and then segue to Love. Granted Love has only started for one season, but itโ€™s damned hard not to think we hit the Jackpot when we took him.

Dang, I love being a Packers fan!

@RoyalWulff posted:

The skyโ€™s the limit for these guys. Canโ€™t wait to see the fireworks from these guys this season.

For those of us old enough to remember the tough years between SBII and SBXXXI, we can tell you we are incredibly spoiled to get about 30 years from Bert and Aaron and then segue to Love. Granted Love has only started for one season, but itโ€™s damned hard not to think we hit the Jackpot when we took him.

Dang, I love being a Packers fan!

Royal,  you are so damn right that it sure has been incredible the last 30 years.  Before then there would be a few years of Lynn Dickey and Majik for a little bit but besides that ugh. 

I also think the signs are pointing towards hitting the jackpot for the third time.  I hope he doesn't hit a sophomore slump but I don't get that feeling about Love he seems to be working hard and really works to be a good team mate. 

All that being said, If this team stays healthy and they can play something resembling a good defense look out for this team.

Some notes on WR Miles Bokeem Melton...seems like giving him Driver's old number was a good fit

WR Bo Melton

Meltonโ€™s story isnโ€™t unlike Ballentineโ€™s as a former draft pick who had to work and wait for his opportunity.

Melton was a seventh-round pick by the Seahawks in 2022. The Packers picked him off Seattleโ€™s practice squad in December 2022.

Despite a strong training camp last summer, he failed to make Green Bayโ€™s 53-man roster and wound up on the practice squad. Finally, he made his NFL debut on Thanksgiving at Detroit. He caught his first pass a few weeks later against Tampa Bay. A week after that, he caught four passes for 44 yards in the key late-season victory at Carolina.

That set the stage for the primetime showdown at Minnesota. The Packers hadnโ€™t had a 100-yard receiving game all season, but Melton caught six passes for 105 yards and one touchdown in a blowout win at the Vikings. He added five receptions for 62 yards in the finale against the Bears and scored a 19-yard touchdown in the playoff loss against the 49ers.

โ€œItโ€™s all about hard work, keeping God first. Thatโ€™s what I did my whole life,โ€ Melton said during OTAs. โ€œThatโ€™s how I was raised. Just being cut, being on practice squad, just kept doing the journey, kept pushing along. I just wanted to be ready when my time came.โ€

During regular-season play, Melton caught 16 passes for 218 yards. Of the 127 receivers who were targeted 23 times (Meltonโ€™s number), he ranked fifth with 2.83 yards per route. That was behind four established stars: Tyreek Hill, Nico Collins, Brandon Aiyuk and Justin Jefferson.

โ€œI say thatโ€™s just a start,โ€ Melton said shortly after scoring a long touchdown at practice. โ€œIt was a nice journey just to be from practice squad to playing, but my goal was never just to be a practice-squad player in general. Thatโ€™s never my mindset.

โ€œIโ€™m wanting to be a player in this league for a long time. Iโ€™ve been around a lot of good players here that motivated me during the whole year when I wasnโ€™t playing. When I started to play, it was nothing different. I know when you do good things, good is expected. At the end of the day, Iโ€™m just going to keep doing what Iโ€™ve been doing. Thatโ€™s been working since I was a kid.โ€

@Satori posted:

โ€œIโ€™m wanting to be a player in this league for a long time. Iโ€™ve been around a lot of good players here that motivated me during the whole year when I wasnโ€™t playing. When I started to play, it was nothing different. I know when you do good things, good is expected. At the end of the day, Iโ€™m just going to keep doing what Iโ€™ve been doing. Thatโ€™s been working since I was a kid.โ€

This is a different WR room from what most teams have, and from what GB has seen for a long time. Unselfishness will take this group as far as they want to go. I know it won't last forever, but I am enjoying it now!

from Warren Sharp via Twitter

number of offensive plays that gained 30+ yards last yr
* = playoff team

36 - SF*
33 - GB*
32 - MIA*, LAR*
30 - IND
28 - BAL*
27 - DET*, SEA
26 - KC*, CLE*, DAL*
25 - TB*, DEN
23 - PHI*, TEN
22 - BUF*, NO, CHI, JAX, NYG, MIN
21 - PIT*, ATL, CIN
20 - HOU*, LAC
19 - WAS, ARI
18 - NYJ
17 - LV
15 - NE
12 - CAR

That's really impressive work from La Fleur, nearly 2 per game with a young QB and young WR/TE room. And with deep threat Watson missing a lot of time

@Timmy! posted:

I seem to recall the Packers were drooling at the prospect of bringing Keith Jackson to town, and Chmura was gushing about the effects and benefits of running 2 TE sets.

If Tucker and Kraft can provide similar/better performance, it can make a tremendous difference to the offense.

I loved it when we signed Keith Jackson. For years, back in the mid 1990's, it seemed we could not get past neither the Cowboys nor the 49ers, to advance in the playoffs. Keith Jackson changed that for us. Even with Chmura and Jackson, we did not run the kind of two TE sets we are now running with Musgrave and Kraft. It's a new era, for certain and I cannot wait to see our young TEs, in action, once again. GO PACK, GO!!!

Last edited by mrtundra

Matt LaFleur requires his wide receivers to block in the run game. When called upon last year, Malik Heath answered the call. There is a play on the first offensive drive against the Lions in Detroit that to most is not very memorable. Heath drove Lions CB Amik Robertson 5 yards and into the ground on a 4 yard first down carry for AJ Dillon. That is the kind of play that will win a wide receiver a roster spot.

https://packerstalk.com/2024/0...ll-the-packers-keep/

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.