Skip to main content

Originally Posted by FreeSafety:

I go back to the reports of him taking snaps and throwing the the locker room after being x-rayed right after the injury.  If those reports are correct, the fracture couldn't have been all that significant.

Of course he would try to stay in the game.  His adrenaline is pumping & the break probably doesn't hurt as much right away as it did later on.  Regardless, I don't see how tossing in the locker room has any bearing on the severity of the injury.

Originally Posted by PackFoo:

Dec 15th puts AR's injury at a day under 6 weeks...I am reading the tea leaves here...I don't think he comes back before the Cryboys game...and at that point, Packers could be 5-8..possibly 6-7.

Would you take 6-6-1 and a 1/2 game out of first place?

So he was scanned last week Tuesday and AR said it wasn't where he expected it to be, but he cleared 2 of the 3 hurdles for game clearance. McCarthy today said Rodgers would do some things tomorrow that he didn't do last week, and then would be checked out Wednesday. --  Not one of the reporters followed up on what those things are that he'd be doing and no one asked what the check-up on Wednesday would entail. Will he be testing the strength some how? Would there be a non-impact pain test? Will there be a scan Wednesday?

Last edited by H5

If the 3 tests were strength, flexibility and bone scan and AR passes the strength and flexibility tests...what would they have done 20 years ago? Or 10 years ago?

Before the days of weekly bone scans were players re-injuring collarbones more often than they do today? Back then if a guy passed the strength and flexibility tests...they probably let him play. Maybe do another x-ray. Was that the wrong thing to do? 

Last edited by FreeSafety

Not by the standards of the time. Did you see Majik on the field yesterday? How was he walking? Hasn't he had over 10 surgeries to his ankle? Playing through pain was once the standard, but it also was the long term cost. Good friend of mine (54 yo) played HS and College ball... knee and hip replacements and he can hardly walk. I know the players want to play because the window of opportunity is so small, but is the short term reward worth the long term pain? One example, Mark Schlereth (sp?), has said that he'd do it all again, exactly the same way... 

From Dr. David Chao at National Football Post.

Rodgers was injured against the Chicago Bears five weeks ago. A non-displaced (in place) distal (end) clavicle (collarbone) fracture occurred when he was dumped on his left (non throwing) shoulder. Medically, the returnwould not be based on pain tolerance or Rodgers’ ability to throw/play. Early fracture healing is the key to prevent displacement (bones moving out of place) and further injury. If re-injury occurs, Rodgers would likely need season-ending surgery. My medical analysis has not changed over the five weeks since the injury, with an estimate of 4-6 weeks needed for a return to the field.

Mid-shaft clavicle fractures typically take 6-8 weeks to heal. Many times, surgical plating can decrease the recovery time. Saints wide receiver Marques Colston (2011) and Chargers running back Ryan Mathews (2012) are two recent examples of early return. Each missed only two games after surgery. A plate converts the slower secondary intention healing (by soft callous) to that of the quicker, stronger primary intention healing (by hard bone). Essentially, bones heal more quickly when the broken pieces are held firmly next to each other by a plate.

Aaron Rodgers has not needed surgery because the ends of his break are already holding next to each other. In addition, a distal fracture would be harder to plate. However, the cancellous (spongy) bone at the end of the collarbone heals more quickly as opposed to the cortical (hard shaft). Rodgers may also have a bone stimulator, which sometimes induces quicker healing.

Fracture healing does not make a sudden leap. The process occurs day by day and heals a little more every 24 hours. The idea of a magic threshold whereby the Packers doctor declares the bone completely healed is a fallacy. In fact, bones continue to heal and remodel for at least six months. If one could guarantee Rodgers would not be hit, he could have played weeks ago.

The doctor’s clearance isn’t based solely on the x-ray or CT scan findings. It is a balance of risk (re-injury) and reward (playing). It also involves balancing the patient’s desires with an informed consent of the risks. This is why being a good team physician is an art, not a strict science.

What happens if Rodgers returns and re-injures and displaces the fracture? Based on my experience, surgery would be required with a minimum of three months recovery. The good news is that there would not be any significant anticipated long-term health or functional issues after recovery.

The Packers medical staff has done a good job of being conservative and protecting Aaron Rodgers by holding him out for five weeks. I am in no way second-guessing their decision. Based on my NFL medical experience (I have not seen film or examined Rodgers), I feel that the timetable is ripe for his full return based on the risk/reward equation and informed consent.

In his press conference today, MM indicated that they are preparing as if Flynn will once again be the starter.

Last edited by Point Brewmaster

I am jealous.....

Met Majik about 5 years ago---my cousin was in media in GB and made a point of having Majik meet me and 4 of my sibs at a pre-game event before the Steelers kicked our ass at Lambeau.

As nice as could be and genuinely friendly---although I imagine he has to do meet and greets constantly.

Definitely Packer People.

Not only great hair----great skin and yes, dude does look like he's 25.

Rodgers-Nelson car-pool chat

Not much knew in the article... or did Jordy unknowingly tell [us] all the timeline the Packers and Rodgers knew / were working toward since day 1?

β€œHe had target dates (since the injury happened) that he had kind of told us, so you want to be updated and see how he’s doing and check on him. Because it’s easy for a guy when they get hurt – no matter who it is – to be kind of put on the back burner. β€˜OK, we’ll see you in six weeks.’ You don’t want to make him feel that way. You want to still talk to him but you don’t want to be constantly, β€˜How’s the shoulder? How’s the shoulder? How’s the shoulder?’ You just want to talk to him. But yeah, there’s been [some] conversations.”

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.