Skip to main content

We haven't even started camp yet. 

Do we really believe this season will happen ?

With training camp approaching, the NFL Players Association announced on Thursday that 72 NFL players have tested positive for COVID-19.

The data considered testing results as of July 10. The number represents 2.5% of players considering 90-man rosters for training camps. The NFLPA did not report how many players had undergone testing.

Positives before players gather

With training camp yet to start, the 72 positive cases represent players who have contracted the coronavirus either in their everyday lives or in unsanctioned workouts among teammates. Players are not yet in locker rooms or on practice fields together.

Tom Brady, Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson have hosted workouts with teammates despite being advised against doing so by the NFLPA. The NFLPA did not release names of the players who tested positive."Quarterbacks across the league like Tom Brady, Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson have hosted workouts with teammates despite being advised against doing so by the NFLPA. The NFLPA did not release names of the players who tested positive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nflpa...id-19-205711029.html

Last edited by packerboi
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just don't see how this is going to work.  I mean football hasn't even started yet and players are already catching COVID.  And the NFLPA and NFL have yet to come to any sort of agreement to get a season started.  And from what I've read, they aren't even close on almost any of the major issues.     

The irony?  A lot of NFL owners gave 7 figure donations to Trump's campaign and/or inauguration.  And I don't think it's much of a leap to say that a canceled season would rest heavily with Trump's inadequate response to this pandemic.  You reap what you sow.....

And college has even less hope than the NFL.  The NFL players have a union that can bargain at arms length and take on the risk of playing during COVID (ie: take away liability from the owners).  College players don't have that which would leave universities open to massive lawsuits.  And zero chance a school can play football if they don't fully open their campuses to students.  Can't tell students that it's unsafe to come to campus but then tell student-athletes that it's okay to be on campus to play football.  

Phillip Rivers brought up a great scenario. So, say a key player, let’s say Davante Adams tests positive the Saturday before facing the Vikings on the road the next day. He’s asymptomatic. He feels right as rain. 

So he doesn’t play? Or does the league pretend they didn’t find out about his test until Monday? You know teams like the Cheatriots would do this without even thinking  

Now, it’s playoffs. Same scenario. But now it’s Dak Prescott testing positive and theyre about to face the Seahawks. Dallas now has to sit their franchise QB? 

I fully comprehend the seriousness of Covid. I get that no, this isn’t the flu. But this is also a mindset of players, coaches etc who DID have contagious diseases like influenza, contagious stomach flus, respiratory illnesses and played anyway. Hell, I think 2 seasons ago Bulaga did this with a flu and played the whole game.  

I just don’t see how this is going to work...

Right, and don't think for a second Billy Boy won't send a COVID agent into the camp of his opponents to take out their players.

Can't wait for that feature on the franchise mode of the new Madden.

Last edited by Maynard

No matter the discussion, there's always the asshole(s) who feels compelled to bring their political views into it. 

So I'll add mine: 
Those same owners who donated 7 figures to Trump's campaign are the same ones who make it possible for us to enjoy the game of football.
Pretty goddamned ironic, no?

@Timmy! posted:

No matter the discussion, there's always the asshole(s) who feels compelled to bring their political views into it. 

So I'll add mine: 
Those same owners who donated 7 figures to Trump's campaign are the same ones who make it possible for us to enjoy the game of football.
Pretty goddamned ironic, no?

I THINK THEY ALL HAVE WAY TO MUCH DAMN MONEY......EAT THE RICH.      

@CUPackFan posted:   

The irony?  A lot of NFL owners gave 7 figure donations to Trump's campaign and/or inauguration.  And I don't think it's much of a leap to say that a canceled season would rest heavily with Trump's inadequate response to this pandemic.  You reap what you sow.....

I think this is the political crap Timmy! was talking about....Hey Moderators....can we agree to put this in the other Forum, please?  

Anyway....so...what you're saying CUPackFan is ..... that there were many other owners who gave $$$ to the Obama/Biden campaign in order to keep the H1N1-Swine-Ebola Pandemic on the "testing" lowdown so we could at least continue the NFL Seasons at that time?   

just curious...asking for a friend...  

Last edited by SanDiegoPackFan

I think this is the political crap Timmy! was talking about....Hey Moderators....can we agree to put this in the other Forum, please?  

Anyway....so...what you're saying CUPackFan is ..... that there were many other owners who gave $$$ to the Obama/Biden campaign in order to keep the H1N1-Swine-Ebola Pandemic on the "testing" lowdown so we could at least continue the NFL Seasons at that time?   

Yeah, but how many died or had their business destroyed by our pandemic response to any of those viruses? Just saying...

What the fuck are you even talking about you fucking idiot.  

"This is the political crap Timmy was talking about". 

*Proceeds with non-sensical dumbfuckery about Obama*

x4 deserves a better class of idiot.

Last edited by Henry

IF there is a season, a real big IF, continuity will be a huge advantage.

"Teams with the same quarterback, same player caller and the same offensive line... that's a big big factor." -@SharpFootball

Considering the first three picks will be pine riding the consistency argument holds.  My biggest concern is the evolution of Mayo's offense gets put on hold to a degree. 

Where it also hurts is rookie development particularly the Oline guys.  Getting Taylor back helps with depth as an issue though.  

Evolution of MLF's offense to me depends so much on the intelligence of the returners. I see no reason to think they can't continue with his plan considering who they have back - essentially everyone.

That said, I still don't see a season.

Agreed rookie development will be delayed, but there are so few real impact rookies each year I see that as less significant overall. 

That said, I still don't see a season.

The Obama/Biden team had a plan to combat Ebola and contain it. The Obama/ Biden team beat it into submission. The Trump/Pence team had no plan, at all, to fight the coronavirus and only yesterday, mentioned they are working on a "strategy" to fight coronavirus. A little too late for almost 140,000 dead Americans. Trump tossed the Dubya Bush and Obama playbook for fighting a contagion. This failure is all on Trump.

@mrtundra posted:

The Obama/Biden team had a plan to combat Ebola and contain it. The Obama/ Biden team beat it into submission. The Trump/Pence team had no plan, at all, to fight the coronavirus and only yesterday, mentioned they are working on a "strategy" to fight coronavirus. A little too late for almost 140,000 dead Americans. Trump tossed the Dubya Bush and Obama playbook for fighting a contagion. This failure is all on Trump.

Today is July 30th. Since I posted the comment above, on July 22nd, we have added over 13,000 deaths to the death total in the USA from coronavirus/Covid-19. These numbers are headed in the wrong direction for any of the major sports to even think about having a season this year. Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers, just yesterday, ordered masks to be worn on all indoor areas in Wisconsin, through the end of September.  The Washburn County Sheriff, in Shell Lake, WI has already come out against the Governor's order and said he will not enforce this order as it is unconstitutional. Awaiting the GOP lawsuit to overturn the order, as well. Trying to keep citizens safe gets you in legal trouble, while those against the Governor's mask order take away any and all sports from us, for the foreseeable future. Wear a mask! What's the big problem?

Last edited by mrtundra

I don't know why wearing a mask is a political statement for some people. Just don't get it. This virus is airborne. You can breathe it in. A mask limits the exposure to virus spores. The more spores you take in the sicker you're going to get up to & including death. 150,000 dead 'Muricans ain't no joke. Wear a fucking mask & STFU!

I think it boils down to some people feel dominated if they do something they don't want to do.  It makes them feel weak.  And they can't wear a mask as a sign of care for other people because that's not what drives them.  Plus, those other people are weak too.  Only strength drives them and they won't succumb to the will of a pansy-assed virus and they certainly won't bend to the will of weak liberals.  But they will feel weak when they are gasping for air in their final moments of life in a hospital bed.

@Dr._Bob posted:

I think it boils down to some people feel dominated if they do something they don't want to do.  It makes them feel weak.  And they can't wear a mask as a sign of care for other people because that's not what drives them.  Plus, those other people are weak too.  Only strength drives them and they won't succumb to the will of a pansy-assed virus and they certainly won't bend to the will of weak liberals.  But they will feel weak when they are gasping for air in their final moments of life in a hospital bed.

Herman Cain approves this message.

Yeah.  I don't get it either.  I really feel bad about his death.  He was high risk, too.

So, if he knew he was high risk due to his battle with cancer, then he should've worn a mask and social distanced a bit more IF he had to go the rally.   I really would like to hear from his family on that thought process.    Did he have a mask but took it off once the rally started?   It is strange.

@Dr._Bob posted:

In many cases, these are the same group of people that feel they need to have an AK47 to protect them from all sorts of perceived danger. I've said this before, but shouldn't organizations like the NRA, Fox News, the Trump campaign use masks as a money-making tool? Sell a bunch of masks with messages on them.

The conservative message should be that this is dangerous if you don't take personal responsibility. Personal responsibility in this case involves wearing a mask. I just don't understand how mask-wearing became such a political statement. There will be entire classes in sociology and public health decades from now that look back and this and wonder how people could have been so stupid. 

If they could fight Covid with those AK47s, I have no doubt they would be out in force shooting up those foreign Wuhan viruses.  But if the solution makes them feel weak?  Not a chance.  They feel stronger fighting the people who are talking about it.  I think the key to understanding all of this is that reason is and always has been irrelevant.  It's emotions that drive us.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.