Skip to main content

Great article and Grantland has a couple of writers that I really enjoy

Chris Brown and Bill Barnwell. Chris also has his own website called Smart Football

http://smartfootball.com/

Its not for everyone, some prefer what bspn shovels into their gullet- but if you really wanna learn about football, those are two good spots to check out from time to time

The article touches on a lot of key points in the development of Rodgers and MM over time

They have both evolved immensely and us Packer fans are the real winners. MM is called stubborn and he surely displays that at times - but he's also willing to change/innovate as needed and that's made a huge difference in the success of GB - with both Favre and Rodgers. Getting to work with Montana had to have been an amazing experience too

Yup. Love this quote:

Prior to the 1993 season, the Chiefs traded for Montana, the veteran quarterback with extensive West Coast offense experience and four Super Bowl titles, and the man Jerry Rice referred to as “God.” McCarthy told Milwaukee’s Journal Sentinel that the gravity of the assignment didn’t register until he excitedly let some of his close friends know that he’d be coaching Montana, and one responded by asking, “What in the [expletive] are you going to teach Joe Montana?”

Originally Posted by Satori:

Great article and Grantland has a couple of writers that I really enjoy

Chris Brown and Bill Barnwell. Chris also has his own website called Smart Football

http://smartfootball.com/

Love his stuff. really enjoyed his articles on zone/ man mix and another by Pete Carroll on tackling technique. Thanks for posting

and idiots like to say AR ain't tough.  I never heard this one before but WOW!!!

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/c...=18871&is_corp=1

For Rodgers, that trust actually dates back to the spring of 2005, after the Packers took him with the 24th overall pick in the NFL Draft. After four years of playing with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee – yes, you read that correctly – in high school, junior college and college, Rodgers underwent reconstructive surgery in January 2004, before his final season at the University of California.

Although it would be three more years before Rodgers would ascend to the starting job and replace legendary tough guy Brett Favre, McKenzie was vigilant about checking on Rodgers’ surgically repaired knee.

Originally Posted by Tdog:
and idiots like to say AR ain't tough.  I never heard this one before but WOW!!!

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/c...=18871&is_corp=1

After four years of playing with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee – yes, you read that correctly – in high school, junior college and college, Rodgers underwent reconstructive surgery in January 2004, before his final season at the University of California.

Could that be part of why MM didn't realize how athletic Rodgers was before the draft?

I keep looking at how they played in week #1. They gave that game to Seattle.

I keep looking at the QB's Seattle has played against since Oct. 6th, a virtual plethora of garbage at the QB position.

They've had a cakewalk to the NFC CG. The Packers have played better QB's & a tougher schedule.

Again, you can only play who is on your schedule but I know the Packers aren't as bad as they played week #1. I also know this game is going to be a war. Plus the Seattle defense, & make no mistake - they are good, especially their secondary - can be beat.

Items of note in Seattle's favor

1. The last 8 games their defense has been outstanding (It should be vs. those QB's)
  2. Kam Chancellor is not the same Kam as week #1
  3. Running game (Lynch) vs. questionable Packer run defense
  4. Scrambling ability of Wilson (especially if Hawk or Jones are on the field) THAT scares me
  5. Unforced errors/takeaways (Thank you Capt. Obvious!)
  6. Bobby Wagner
  7. Aaron Rodgers not at 100%

Like Holmgren said, Seattle likes to use the big guys on first down to stop the run. This should be a throwing down for the Packers. When they back off & drop 7, we should be pounding the rock with Lacy & Starks. The trick will be Rodgers recognizing the defense & taking what they give him, because I'm certain the Seahawks will be using un-scouted looks to disguise the defense.

The Packers on defense need to keep Wilson in the pocket, surround him, seal the edge & collapse the pocket on him. The 'Hawk receivers should not beat our DB's ever. A safety should be on Luke Wilson at all times. First & foremost is stop Marshawn Lynch. 

Whoever wins this game, will have earned the victory. The better team will win. We'll find out on Sunday just who that team is.

If the Packers can beat Seattle & come out unscathed, I have no doubt we'll be celebrating World Championship #14 on February 1st & we will have earned it!

Last edited by Boris
Originally Posted by Boris:

The Packers on defense need to keep Wilson in the pocket, surround him, seal the edge & collapse the pocket on him.

A safety should be on Luke Wilson at all times.

First & foremost is stop Marshawn Lynch.

Nice work Boris

One minor comment: I think the section highlighted would require approximately 14 players.

That's why Dom often says: How do you want to die ?

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in  pile of leaves ?  Russell

What do you call a guy with no heart and no brains ? Percy

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs hanging in a tree ? Lynch

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in a pussy ? Dick. And no balls ? Sherman

Woooooooooooo !

The thing I point to, in regard to our run game vs. their front 7, is the Detroit game from week 17. We established the run very well vs. the Loins front 7 and if we are talking strictly about run defense, I think the Lions front 7 is better than the Seahawks. The Seahawks are not built to be hammered in the run game, the are pure speed that gets after the QB. Kevin Williams is their best interior player and he's not the dominant defender he once was. Not having guys like Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane hurts their early down run D. Meanwhile the Packers have been successful at establishing the run even against good front 7's. If nothing else they are forcing defenses to respect the run game, something Seattle did not have to do in week 1. That makes a big difference.

I largely agree, GD. Again, will MM and Rodgers go run heavy consistently? Alas, I have my doubts.

That plus the noise in that joint could cause errors when running the run/pass packaged plays. 

A heavy dose of RTFB early, mixed with chain-moving passes, could take the steam out of the Seattle D. Best thing for any number of reasons would be for Green Bay to get out to a two-score lead relatively early in the first half. That largely defeats what both the Seattle offense and defense are geared towards doing. 

I would also also love seeing what those poseur fans do out there should their dynasty fall behind early. Would be so so sweet to see them exposed for the front-running bitches that they are.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Cliff Avril on pressuring Rodgers... "I don’t see us having an issue getting after him"

Avril told Sherrod isn't on the team anymore: “They have a good O-Line but we definitely feel like we can get after him." Maybe, I think.

Funny story

So I am right in the thick of Hawks fandom and I ask one of the Seattle rubes - "you do know that Texas A&M is truly the home of the 12th man, right?"

He then replied (dejectedly) "yeah we still pay royalties on that one" to TA&M"

LMAO!!!!!

Cal Buc should be a Seahawks fan

More from Earl Thomas and his thoughts on the Soul Man...

“I'm not buying into this leg issue,” Thomas said. “I saw him scramble close to the goal line on the Cowboys, so he's not fooling me with that. I'm not falling into that.” 

full story 

Last edited by H5

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.