Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Satori:

Which "task" is more difficult ?

A ) Tretter learning to play Center with a year of playbook & film study and a few months working on technique ?

OR

B ) Linsley learning the Packers offense and learning how to be an NFL player ?

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  You would think Tretter would have more upside but if Linsley turns into Scott Wells you gotta give him the nod.  

Originally Posted by Henry:
Originally Posted by Satori:

Which "task" is more difficult ?

A ) Tretter learning to play Center with a year of playbook & film study and a few months working on technique ?

OR

B ) Linsley learning the Packers offense and learning how to be an NFL player ?

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  You would think Tretter would have more upside but if Linsley turns into Scott Wells you gotta give him the nod.  

Wrong. Linsley is a true center, Tretter is not.

Not equal and I expect Linsley, if he is as advertised, to eventually take the position.

The other question is what will they being asking the C position to do?  If you have a guy in Tretter who shows more versatility in scheme you up the offensive play calling arsenal.  Linsley may win out simply by doing the basics really really well.  From what has been written, Tretter is deep in the books with the confidence from the coaching staff that he can do whatever they ask of him.  If he makes that a reality on the field I don't see why you wouldn't go with Tretter.

What Chili said. 

Personally, I think Linsley is suited to a good power running game but what you see is what you get.  Nothing wrong with that.  I think Tretter may be the type of player that can compliment all running styles/schemes currently on the roster and likely a better pass protector.

Quite honestly, I think Linsley and Tretter can help each other and not just in competing for the spot.   

Last edited by Henry

C position will be fun to watch.  For me no matter who wins out its an instant upgrade.  I'm more interested to see how the tackle situation settles out with Sherrod, Bak, and Bulaga. 

Backup QB is in better shape then it was at this time last year.

RBs, whoa Lacey and Starks nice little tandem there.  Who takes up that third spot, Harris/Franklin?

Finally on offensive the WR/TE.  TE obviously hinges on Finley but if cleared and Colt does show why he was brought in could be really deep here as well, liked what Bostick showed late.  WR Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams are locks.  I'll be interested in seeing what Abby can do, well I know what he can do will the pressure of playing for his "home" team be too much?  I don't think so and I think he goes on to be a huge asset.

The secondary on paper looks legit, could be real deep there.  I don't think anybody who gets cut doesn't stay unemployed for long.

LBs coaching change, ILB still weak does Barringtion push forward and challenge, does Neal continue to progress and Perry and Matthews healthy for a whole season?

DL how does this transition affect the run game, should be able to rush the passer but will they hold up against the run something they'll need to do with the likes of the Whiners and Seahags.

From Greg Gabriel, former NFL personnel guy now at NFP

"J.C. Tretter was a high school quarterback who started his college career as a tight end. He was then moved to tackle and finished his career as one of Cornellโ€™s top offensive linemen ever. When Green Bay drafted him, they moved him inside to play both guard and tackle.

Tretter was injured in training camp and was not on the active roster until the final few games. With the Pack having lost Evan Dietrich-Smith in free agency, Tretter is fist in line to be the starting center in 2014.

Having done a lot of tape work on Tretter for last yearโ€™s draft, I feel he has a chance to become one of the better centers in the league. He has excellent size, to go along with very good athleticism for an offensive lineman, as well as very good strength. If he stays healthy, he should be a fixture at center for years to come for the Packers."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.