Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Goldie:
Originally Posted by CAPackFan95:
Originally Posted by Goldie:

Well there goes my dream.....Abby gone, keeping hope he'll make the practice squad. 

Goldie Dreams, Ranked:

1. Jered Abbrederis making the Packers

2. JJ Watt snuggling with Goldie.

3. Melvin Gordon being cut by SD and picked up by GB

4. Jered Abbrederis making the Practice Squad

5. Jered Abbrederis signing an autograph for Goldie

6. Being hit by a car

7. Winning a Super Bowl

Hit by a car??  Really?? 

I had a dream that I was killed by lightening.  It was comic book storyboard in my mind.  The lightening exploded with a blinding flash.  I was wreathed in electricity as I flew through the air.  Then . . . I died.

My brain sucks.  Couldn't even make me a superhero like Concussion Man or something like that.   You ring his bell and he can see into the future where he's an ironic insurance salesman.

Last edited by Henry
All said and done, this has been a pretty damn good talent infusion going into this 2015 season. Add in UDFAs who were here last year and have further developed to make the team. Elliott, Gaston, Walker, Taylor, Banjo, Mulumba and Pennel. Pretty cool.

Alonzo Harris and Ladarius Gunter did great work making a very tight roster as UDFAs. Can't wait to see them all contribute.

Keeping 11 CBs for only the 2nd time in 20 years is a pretty good indicator of how the game has changed. This Packers secondary is pretty impressive after losing Williams & House. Nice work there by Ted & Joe Whitt.
Last edited by Trophies
Originally Posted by FLPACKER:

Perillo looked awfully slow to me, Backman looks to have more potential.

Backman's ceiling is WAY higher.

----------

Originally Posted by titmfatied:

Pennel essentially wipes out the Thornton miss in my mind.  

Absolutely. No GM can hit on every pick. Most of us (myself included) were scratching our heads during the Khyri selection. Felt he could've been drafted MUCH later.

We could've easily taken a Donte Moncrief or John Brown instead in the 3rd. (Since we drafted Abby & Janis later, it would make sense.) How would that have looked right now?

Obviously hindsight = 20/10 vision. TT felt Khyri was worth the 3rd & it didn't work out. Not the first time & won't be the last either. I still wouldn't trade him for any GM in the league. I hope Eliot is watching & learning. I fully expect Eliot to take over when TT retires (& I subsequently cry).

----------

Originally Posted by GBFanForLife:

That is just shifting holes.

I think you're discounting our FB's. I believe we're going to use them as an extra OL. Pray that Buck Cherry stays healthy

Last edited by Boris

TT churns the bottom five slots. If I was the last DB, I would know that I am competing with every free agent on the street right now who plays any position, as well as those two suspended players. Same is true of the second FB, the last LB, the last OL and Harris.

Originally Posted by hof1991:

TT churns the bottom five slots. {snip} Same is true of the second FB, the last LB, the last OL and Harris.

You're referring to Kuhn, yes?

No way is Ripkowski getting cut

Last edited by Boris

Most of the waiver claims have come through and Thornton to the Patriots is the only Packer  claimed. The Seahawks had 5 players claimed and managed to trade a RB they might have cut to the Boys. Speaks well for their drafting and overall team depth.

Not sure that means much. Our cuts are mainly guys who are a year away from being players. No old-timers who someone will bring in as a patch. If they are going to be on someone's practice squad, they would want to stay here.

Originally Posted by Boris:
Originally Posted by hof1991:

TT churns the bottom five slots. {snip} Same is true of the second FB

You're referring to Kuhn, yes?

No way is Ripkowski getting cut

With Kuhn on the last year of his contract, I guess Rip is safe as the FB of the future. But he brings nothing as a RB and is mainly one of those size/speed guys that Packers stockpile for special teams.  Rip is going to be a 4 squad special teamer, which is pretty secure. 

As for Kooooooon, he doesn't bring much as a runner either. His blocking has dropped off. usually tackled  by the first guy to hit him on safety valve passes.  He is assignment sure, but if Lacy and Starks (or a TE) can pick up blitzes, then he does become vulnerable.

From the new guy at the JSO.

@Michael_Cohen13: I spent all of Saturday with Alonzo Harris and his family. If you've ever wondered how intense cut day is, please read the story tomorrow.

@Michael_Cohen13: We were holed up in a hotel conference room for 6 hours. He endured a false report that he'd been waived and was literally shaking at times.

Like his stuff. This should be good.

Originally Posted by CAPackfan:

Packers had 2 guys get claimed. DT Khyri Thornton by the Pats and TE Mitchell Henry by the Broncos

Teaches me. I was relying on NFL.com. Always a misteak.

And when the Broncos add Henry, they cut Montee Ball. Another great college back with no pro career.

Last edited by hof1991

I have to admit, I did not read the intro regarding "value" & "comparison to depth at the position". Let's hope that it was his knee that was the problem for Bak in his short preseason.....he did not fare much better than Barclay did. 

Ted gonna Ted.  From Silverstein at the JSO.

It wouldn't have been wrong to think that the Green Bay Packers, with 19 returning starters, would have moved more toward the middle of the NFL when it comes to average age.

The Packers are consistently one of the youngest teams in the league due to GM Ted Thompson's draft and develop philosophy, but despite have all those returning starters and some key players now in their 30s, the Packers ranked as the second youngest team when opening day rosters were set, according to an annual tabulation the NFL does.

The Packers' average age is 25.23 years, which is the second lowest in the NFC behind the St. Louis Rams, who are at 24.96. Nobody in the AFC had a younger average age than the Packers.

Thompson's roster moved up eight spots from 10th youngest last year (25.75). The Packers ranked ninth (25.42) in '13 and sixth (25.70) in '12. They had the youngest roster or were tied for the youngest in '06-'08.

Here are the six youngest teams and their average age:

• St. Louis, 24.96
  • Green Bay, 25.23
  • Jacksonville, 25.26
  • Kansas City, 25.30
  • Miami, 25.70
  • Houston, 25.85

And the other NFC North teams:

• Minnesota, 25.87
  • Chicago, 26.04
  • Detroit, 26.70

As for the teams with the fewest players 30 years or older, the Packers rank tied for fourth with six. St. Louis has the fewest with two and Jacksonville is next with four.

Indianapolis has the most players 30 or older with 14. Detroit leads the NFC North with 12.

Some other roster tidbits from the NFL's release:

The Packers ranked tied for second with the most 300-pound players (14) behind the New York Jets (15). Last year, the Packers had the second fewest with nine.
The average number of rookie and first-year players on rosters is 10.47. The Packers have 11.

More info, here.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/327943601.html

Last edited by ilcuqui

Not surprising, but skewed this year.

Datone and Guion were NOT on the opening day roster.  Both of them are a bit older than the placeholders for them on the roster.  (My guess, Gaston and well at this point Barrington, though at calculation you could figure maybe a Goodson or something).

Of course those bits of years don't matter much in the sum of averages. but a few 10ths really don't matter that much.

D&D.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.