Skip to main content

McGinn has a great article today in his Go Long series about the total dysfunction of the Bears over the past few years. Childress was the torpedo that came in an sunk the franchise after Trubiskys 1st season. Fields had no desire to listen to coaches and just wanted to wing it. Probably the most entertaining article on the Bears I have read. Here is a snippet.

Itโ€™s true Fields was thrown into the fray before he was ready, true that a lame-duck regime stunted his development and true that he flashed blistering speed through the โ€˜22 and โ€˜23 seasons. All YouTube-friendly highlights are enough ammo for anybody to think, โ€œImagine Justin Fields withโ€ฆ (Insert QB Guru here).โ€ Weโ€™ve all bitten the juicy minnow on the lure. But he also has started 38 pro games. Despite increased weaponry โ€” hello, D.J. Moore โ€” Fieldsโ€™ competition percentage barely improved (58.9 to 60.4 to 61.4). He has thrown more than one touchdown in seven of 38 starts and eclipsed 300 yards passing only once.

Fields ran for 1,000+ yards in Year 2 but, as one ex-Bears coach observed, he was more โ€œchicken with his head cut off.โ€ This was never sustainable.

Fundamentals can improve. Thatโ€™s physical.

Processing is a different animal. Processing is more ingrained.

This is why both coaches and personnel agree that a redshirt year would not have changed much.

โ€œWhen you watch him, watch his eyes,โ€ says one of Fieldsโ€™ former coaches. โ€œHe tries to see the whole thing and doesnโ€™t see anything. His eyes are all over the place and itโ€™s just really hard to watch. Itโ€™s just bad football.โ€...

The stuff between Nagy and Trubisky was drama to the highest level. LOL TBSS

There was a segment on local chicago sports radio that had Fields' special coach on to talk about how well he was processing his reads, that he was faster than any QB they had worked with before.  This was mid season while he was out with an injury.  It was during the same time that their QB2 Bagent, from some place in the metaverse called Shephard University, went 2-2 in the first 4 starts of his career.

If Caleb Williams is just "good", CHI is going to be tough.

Last edited by DH13
@DH13 posted:

If Caleb Williams is just "good", CHI is going to be tough.

They should be. You draft in the top 10, 2 straight seasons you better not screw that up! What would Gutey do with that much draft capital?!?!

Packers have beaten them 10 straight. All Streaks end.....but I know this much....if the Bears win, they will have earned it.

I can't wait to see the Golden boy planted on his ass by the Packer DL & LB'ers

@Floridarob posted:

Processing is a different animal. Processing is more ingrained.

This is why both coaches and personnel agree that a redshirt year would not have changed much.

As a you all know I live less than an hour away from OSU.  When Fields was starting out at OSU he was playing in the Urban Meyer system where there are a ton of designed runs by the QB and its a form of sandlot in the passing game.  Ryan Day's system is WAY more NFL ready system and Fields did play one year in his system but it wasn't firmly in grained yet. 

So Fields long story short, he never had to read defenses and honestly relied on his legs and having superior talent around him.  Which we all know the NFL will eat you alive in that scenario.

I am not fully sold on Williams either and we will see what he does but I would be shocked if he lit it up right away if at all.

@Benzene posted:

Iโ€™m gonna predict Caleb Williams will be a bust.  I canโ€™t explain it.  Thereโ€™s just something about him that I donโ€™t like.  Itโ€™s just a hunch.

I tend to think the same. Can't explain it either other than to say that to play football, be part of a football team, and to have success, QBs have to put the team first, their fellow players second, and themselves third, to paraphrase Gale Sayers. I don't see Williams being able to do that.

Guys like Williams and Fields tend to do better in more individualized sports like baseball or tennis. They can be overblown, stuck-on-themselves jerks, and their actions and attitudes hurt only themselves and not a whole team.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.