Skip to main content

Holy fakk....

INDIANAPOLIS -- There was no doubt that the Indianapolis Colts were going to sign quarterback Andrew Luck to a long-term contract. That's all they've talked about since the spring of 2015.

It was just a matter of how much they would be paying their franchise quarterback. That was answered when owner Jim Irsay, one who never shies away attention, tweeted Luck's new contract numbers.

What the Colts proved by giving Luck the largest contract in NFL history is that what happened in 2015 -- the worst season of his four-year NFL career -- was a fluke.

Luck completed just 55.3 percent of his attempts and committed 13 turnovers in 2015. He was also prone to injury for the first time in his career; he missed two games early in the season with a rib injury then missed the final seven with a lacerated kidney. Luck also dealt with abdominal and shoulder problems.

"That didn't factor into the negotiations," Irsay said. "We never even suggested it as leverage. We didn't go there. We're very blessed to have him and he's very excited to be a Colt."

Irsay said there was never any doubt in their minds that Luck would be the highest-paid player in NFL history. They took into account Luck's total body of work since he entered the NFL as the No. 1 overall pick in 2012.

From PFT:

That’s a total of six years, $139.125 million, with $44 million fully guaranteed at signing. Another $16 million becomes fully guaranteed, as a practical matter, as of the fifth day of the 2017 league year.

At signing, $87 million is guaranteed for injury.

The cash flow breaks down like this: $44 million in 2017; $57 million through 2018; $75 million through 2018; $96.125 million through 2019; $118.125 million through 2020; $139.125 million through 2021.

It’s an average value of $23.1875 million per year, with $24.594 million per year in so-called “new money.”

Why do I feel the factory of sadness (Browns) and the Jag's won't ever change?

Denard Robinson found asleep in car after driving into pond

Cleveland Browns v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

Jaguars running back Denard Robinson’s July 4 weekend took a turn for the worse early on Sunday when the car he was driving took a turn into a retention pond.

The Florida Times-Union reports that Robinson was found asleep behind the wheel of a car by police responding to reports about a car crashing into a pond early on Sunday morning. Neither Robinson nor his passenger were hurt.

Per the responding officer, Robinson woke up and then went back to sleep after a knock on the window before eventually being roused from his slumber. The police report adds that both Robinson and the other passenger were reluctant to exit the vehicle despite the officer telling them that the car was sinking into the pond.

According to the report, Robinson was screened by two officers and found not to be intoxicated. In a post to Twitter, Robinson indicated that he fell asleep at the wheel.

Keep on churning factory of

Report: Browns lose Desmond Bryant for the season

Desmond Bryant AP

Browns defensive end Desmond Bryant is likely to miss the 2016 season due to a torn pectoral muscle, Anthony Lima of 92.3 The Fan and WOIO Channel 19 in Cleveland reported Tuesday night.

The report said Bryant had surgery Tuesday to repair the tear and faces a 5-6 month recovery period, which means he’s likely to miss the entire 2016 season.

Byrant led the Browns with six sacks last season and was again expected to be a starter and key player in the team’s defense under defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who was also the team’s defensive coordinator in 2013, the first year Bryant played for the Browns.

A former undrafted success story out of Harvard, Bryant, 30, broke into the league with the Raiders and played four seasons there before signing with the Browns in 2013. He’s started 59 of 104 career games and has started all 41 games he’s played the last three seasons in Cleveland.

The Browns already were starting the season without defensive end/outside linebacker Armonty Bryant, who’s serving a four-game NFL suspension.

Makes sense. It was basically inevitable the deal would get done. There's no way Denver wants Miller going elsewhere and it was apparently just haggling over the amount guaranteed.  

Last edited by Herschel

I haven't tracked (or researched) the contracts, but my eyes are telling me that guarantees are inching ever closer to matching the total value of the contract, or 
put another way: fully guaranteed.
Millers contract is roughly 61% guaranteed (just using the raw numbers and assumptions on APY, playing out the length of contract, etc.). That's as high a percentage as I can recall over the last year or two.

overpaid, plain and simple.  QB is about the only position that borders on being that important.  LT and/or Reggie are about the only defensive players I can think of that could consistently (that word is important) impact a game defensively.  I'm willing to bet Von can be neutralized in quite a few games especially with the donkeys as they'll be a shell of their former selves.  and then the hand wringing will begin in denver as they try to figure out how to rebuild a D that's paying way too much for one position.

Gettelman and Panthers looking like the picture of restraint and responsibility this offseason.  I would argue a shutdown corner is more important than a OLB.  While the guy MAY even be worth the coin, which I don't believe, I don't think any team can afford to pay anyone but the QB a mega star contract.  

Last edited by Henry

Elway blew it by not giving Von a contract 18 months ago.  Von was on the team 4 years, if you can't judge his character and ability on the field in that time, then one more year isn't going to help.  He waited and the price only went up.  See how the Flacco deal worked out for the Ravens - they're already restructuring his deal to alleviate the cap hit that he's just not worth.  Elway did the same with D Thomas and it's been a mess; most of Devner wants DT traded b/c he's just not worth $15m per year (almost no WR is).  

Giving elite QB money to non-elite QBs just doesn't work.  Von is as good as it gets on defense but you can take him out of the game with a smart game plan - chip him with a TE or RB, roll the QB away, run directly at him, etc.  Elite QBs can't be taken out of the game via game plan, which is why they're worth $20m+.  Every other player can be with tweaks to a gameplan.  

Miller was suspended 6 games for drugs during the 2013 season. It's hard to blame Elway for not rushing to sign him to a long-term extension. Besides, plenty of much worse contracts have been signed in the past few months.

Hard to tell right whether it was a good deal or a bad deal for Denver honestly. On one hand it's an insane amount of money for a guy who has been a good pass rusher, but not consistently great which is what these numbers indicate. Giving that much to a non-QB hasn't worked out so far for Miami...Suh didn't take over games and produce like the top DT in the league. On the other hand Miller is a rare talent and we have seen these mega-deals work out before. JJ Watt's contract has worked out for Houston to some degree, he's still producing at the highest level. 

To me this contract will live or die by his production, he needs to produce 15+ sacks per year, achieving 20+ a couple times (which is what Watt is doing) and show up in the playoffs for it to be worth it. To this point Miller has only exceeded 15 sacks once (18.5 in 2012). If he doesn't live up to Watt's standard, then Denver overpaid. You pay a guy like he's the best in the league then he needs to produce like the best in the league. These are the deals, much like trading away an aging veteran QB in favor of young QB with minimal experience, that make or break careers for GMs. It looks like a panic move by Elway to stop hemorrhaging young talent, but time may prove it to be a good investment.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Peanut Tilman calls it a career. That leaves a Carolina secondary that won't feature Norman, Tilman, or Roman Harper who played 86 % of the defensive snaps. Norman and Tilman were the starting corners in 2015.

Bene Benwikere, a fourth round pick from 2014, is now the most seasoned vet on the team. That's a vastly different group of DB's from last season.

Tillman is up there with Sanders, Urlacher, Forte, and Megatron as opponents in the NFC North that I wished played for the Packers (just to name a few).  He was a unique CB with his rare talent at stripping the ball.  Doubtful he'll be a hall of famer but not sure when (if ever) we'll see a CB strip the ball as well as he did.  

Tillman is up there with Sanders, Urlacher, Forte, and Megatron as opponents in the NFC North that I wished played for the Packers (just to name a few).  He was a unique CB with his rare talent at stripping the ball.  Doubtful he'll be a hall of famer but not sure when (if ever) we'll see a CB strip the ball as well as he did.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.