Skip to main content

GBFanForLife posted:

Yep. A 4th round rookie should make an immediate impact. What the **** was Ted thinking????

You need to relax, friend. I didn't say he should be ****canned, I said he needs to prove he's worthy of a starting spot. He's already better than Thomas and Palmer, and about on the same level of Barrington. ILB and TE are by far the worst position groups on this team. Both need a serious infusion of talent. McCarthy has already said we're not going to see Matthews inside again next season, so they're obviously going to be targeting ILB in the offseason.

Last edited by Pack-Man

Well, since all were cut I believe any of them could be signed without interfering with precious comp picks. That and it being February make this worth entertaining.

Long requires too much projecting health, weight change and position switch. I'd be surprised.

Laurenitis has always reminded me of a better tackling Hawk. Steady, reliable -hasn't missed a start in his career - but very little flash plays.

Cook probably intrigues me the most. 6'5, and came into the league with 4.4 speed. His overall production has never jumped off the page, but look at the Offenses and QBs he's had to work with. He was top 10 in YPC last year which means he can move with the ball if you get it to him. A trait that's currently lacking on this team.

As with all FA, it all depends on the price tag.

Last edited by IL_Pack_Fan

Cook would be a perfect fit for Green Bay.  Proven, very productive pass-catching TE with the ability to stretch the field.  Should have at least three more productive years in him.  Would be nice to pair with the younger Richard Rodgers.

I'm not a big fan of this tight end draft class.  There might only be one tight end worth taking in the first two rounds and maybe as few as ten tight ends worth drafting.  Considering this, and that Richard Rodgers is still a young player, it seems to make more sense that Green Bay goes out and gets a veteran tight end.

Meanwhile we all know Ted is going full monty  on the wild side  throwing 4th round compensatory picks at Tight Ends and ILB'ers. 

Arbitration Ruling Leads to Increased NFL Salary Cap in 2016
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

FEB. 23, 2016, 1:15 P.M. E.S.T.

NEW YORK β€” The NFL's salary cap will get an additional boost of more than $1.5 million per team for next season.

After the NFL Players Association won an arbitration hearing that means an additional $50 million or so will be available for teams to spend. The official salary cap has not been determined, but was expected to rise by at least $10 million from the $143.5 million ceiling of last season.

The NFL on Tuesday explained the adjustment as a technical accounting matter. But the union contends the league miscalculated or was hiding money due the players.

The issue was whether specific revenues the league called exempt from being applied toward the salary cap actually should be counted. An arbitrator found in the players' favor.

A new salary cap figure will be announced before the NFL's business year begins March 9.

Broncos offering Malik Jackson more than $10 million a year

Philip Rivers, Malik Jackson AP

The Broncos are making a strong push to convince defensive lineman Malik Jackson to stay in Denver, without waiting to test free agency.

Jackson, set to become a free agent on March 9, has been offered a long-term deal worth more than $10 million a year, the Denver Post reports.

But Jackson hasn’t accepted the deal, and probably won’t, at least not until he’s been able to test the market first. There’s no reason for Jackson to rush to sign something when he knows he’s about to become an unrestricted free agent. The Broncos are planning to use the franchise tag on Von Miller, which means they can’t tag Jackson.

Jackson played well in the regular season and even better in the playoffs, helping the Broncos win the Super Bowl. He’s about to cash in for that strong play, whether he leaves Denver or stays. The Broncos hope he stays.

What's going to kill the Broncos chances to keep Malik Jackson are the "under the floor" Raiders and Jaguars - teams in need of interior pass rushers.  Both of them are way under the spending floor and thus have to spend a bunch of money this year.  If they're smart, they'll spend that money on a very good young player at a position of important, ie: Malik Jackson.  Give him a bunch of money in 2016 to reach that floor and take a $30-35m cap hit on him this year (via huge salary or roster bonus, ie: no signing bonus), then have lower cap hits in subsequent years.  Something like 5 years, $70m with a $35m cap hit in 2016, then $9m a year after that.  Seems smarter to me to invest in a young player like that than spread that cap room around to a bunch of declining veterans (which is what will likely happen).  

McKenzie is coming up on his 5th draft in Oakland, his first two years he did not draft well...hence the need for free agents. He hit on a QB, a pass rusher, and Wr so he's set himself up well for the future. That's the biggest driver of the Raiders improvement, not FA's. I guarantee Reggie would rather NOT dip in to FA, but he didn't have much choice. The cupboard was bone dry in Oakland when he took over.

Raiders had no first round pick in 2011. No first or second in 2012. All part of the previous regieme's trading picks for Carson Palmer. Worked out well for them. 

Reggie didn't dabble in FA to help form a roster. He inherited a ****ty team that only had a total of 6 picks starting in round 3. He had no choice but to go FA's. 

That his drafts got better in years 3 and 4 were certainly helped by picking in the top 5 both years. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.