Skip to main content

PackerRuss posted:

But those are FA's that could come in at TT's price.  

That's a problem.  This team doesn't need more ILBs the caliber of Sam Barrington, Nate Palmer and Joe Thomas.  They need get better at that position an bringing in more cheap ILBs to fight our incumbents won't improve the team.  Trevathan might be too much if he gets north of $6m/yr but Tulloch, Derrick Johnson and Jerell Freeman are also available and shouldn't be cap crippling expensive.   

Alshon Jeffrey just got very expensive:

Chatter that the Bears were going to use the franchise tag on wide receiver Alshon Jeffery has been going on since before the end of the 2015 season and a report over the weekend indicated that they had made the decision to go that route.

The Bears made it official on Monday with an announcement confirming that they have placed the tag on their top wideout. The two sides can continue discussing a long-term deal through July 15.

If Jeffery plays out the year under the terms of the tag, he’ll make $14.599 million that would become fully guaranteed when Jeffery signs the tag. Based on what we’ve seen in recent years, Jeffery will probably hold off on doing that for a while as the Bears are unlikely to rescind the tag and he’d surely prefer a deal that offers him more security beyond the 2016 season.

Those conversations can now continue with the July deadline well in the future and Jeffery off the open market when free agency begins next week.

Seems like lots of "tags" being used this year.  Alshon, Von Miller, Kirk Cousins, Saints tagged some dude, I think MIA did as well, OT Glenn.  Norman from CAR got tagged.  

I'm glad the Packers don't have to worry about tags.  

Last edited by PackerRuss

Agreed. He was gift wrapped a perfect sunset ride off, getting a ring with one of the worst QB showings in Super Bowl history. Can't see tarnishing that ending to struggle through one or two more seasons with the Texans/Titans.

The Broncos don't want Manning to be their QB.  The problem though, is that they want to pay Brock about $9-10m per year.  Seeing as Bradford got $16m per year, I just see no way Brock accepts less than $12m.  

So that brings us back to Manning.......maybe the Broncos tell Brock to enjoy his $12m/yr salary and life with the Rams/Browns/Texans/etc and bring Manning back for 2016.  I personally think that's dumb, as Manning was just awful last year and you're probably still paying him $12m in 2016.  

EDIT: A lot of the above is based on Broncos sports radio, insiders, people who know Elway, etc.  It's well known that Elway has no problem letting a FA walk if the price is too high - Broncos saw a lot of starters walk away last year (J Thomas, O Franklin, R Moore and T Knighton) when they were paid more than Elway deemed market value.  Word is, he's treating Brock the same and $9m is that number, possibly willing to go to $10m.  

Last edited by CUPackFan
Fedya posted:

Ben Roethlisberger would like a word with you about winning the SB with a bad showing.

But then he retired too, didn't he?  

...eventually. Years after he won his last Super Bowl.

packerboi posted:

Let the rumors begin:

Unnamed source states #Packers will have interest in DE Mario Williams.

Classic Agent, using the Packers to drum up interest.  See this every year, rinse and repeat.  

I'm sure they have interest, at the league minimum.  

Last edited by PackerRuss
Boris posted:

There should be a rule agents can't do this $hit.

PackerRuss is right though, we see it every year with "Packers interest in player _________."

Yep. And you know this is just the start. Que the Antonio Gates, Travathan, Brandon Marshall (despite being a RFA), etc etc. These agents know GB won't refute anything. 

And then there is the inevitable part of our fan base who will lose their schit because we didn't sign any of these "rumored" players. ESPN said they we're going to do it!!!!

Last edited by packerboi

He can play in a 3-4:

Williams is best served as a defensive end in a 4-3, when getting after the quarterback is his main priority. However, he also owns the ability to play linebacker in a 3-4 -- compiling 13 sacks in Mike Pettine's scheme in 2013

The bigger question is does he want to play in a 3-4 again? Reports were that regardless of what the scheme was, he and Rexy just didn't get along and Williams input was ignored all season and that's what pissed him off.

He apparently wants to play for a true contender and that means more to him then $ at this point. Whether that's true who the hell knows but no doubt he's already made plenty of money to take a discount in order to chase a ring.

Grave Digger posted:

I doubt it's a lie. I'm sure they do have interest at some level. As others said though, probably not at the price Williams wants. 

Remember, the quote says they "will have interest" not "have interest."  

Different

Flacco's silly money exceeds Rodgers:

Based on the reported value of Flacco’s new contract, he has the most valuable contract under either standard (in the NFL).

As of signing, the three-year extension has $66.4 million in new money. Coupled with the $58.6 million he was due to earn over the next three years, that’s a grand total of $125 million over six years, an average of $20.8 million — higher than Flacco’s prior high-water mark of $20.1 million.

And with $66.4 million in money he wasn’t due to earn, that’s an average of $22.13 million in new money, besting the $22 million in new money under the Aaron Rodgers extension in 2013.

El-Ka-Bong posted:
Grave Digger posted:

I doubt it's a lie. I'm sure they do have interest at some level. As others said though, probably not at the price Williams wants. 

Remember, the quote says they "will have interest" not "have interest."  

Different

Why is it different? If they will have interest next week then they have interest now. Just to be clear I think Ted is interested or will have interest in a lot of players, but the dollars have to add up. The big difference is between "interest" and "pursuing". Ted is or will be interested in MW, but will he pursue him beyond the initial information gathering? Doubt it.

packerboi posted:

Let the rumors begin:

Unnamed source states #Packers will have interest in DE Mario Williams.

We never, ever read 1 rumor about the Packers having interest in Peppers, so  this is likely highly probable.  

Jordy is dying to play. Ty is back. Eddie is eating kale and hummus and looking for a chef. 

Ted, find a real inside linebacker. A real inside linebacker. Move Clay outside permanently and he's capable of 20 sacks on his own. He's played the good soldier inside. Let him go black ops assassin again. 

This team is so effing close its damn near impossible to wait for week 1. 

Oh what the hell, let's play the what if game (that we damn well know won't come true). What's interesting about MW is Capers could design true 4-3 plays for him when Peppers is sitting on the sidelines. Not exactly far fetched. Say, for giggles, GB re-signed Perry. Then both MW and Perry could rush in their most comfort zones as 4-3 DE's and give CMIII and Peppers some needed rest keeping all these guys fairly fresh.

Peppers, MW, CMIII, and Perry or Neal. Not a bad foursome.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.