Skip to main content

Fandame posted:

Janis at times reminds me of Bill Schroeder, who had two pretty good years and then it was all downhill. Janis may have hit his highlights last year v Cards.

Bill Schroeder (without the attitude issues) would be Janis' NFL career upside : 4600 yards, 300 plus receptions,  and 28 TD's....and over 500 demonstrative tantrums asking the official for a flag.

Last point on D. HaHa is the best player on defense. No disrespect to Daniels but Clinton Dix is the man on defense. The last thing he needs to learn is that he doesn't have to blow people up for things to work. Nick went through the same progression. Nick learned taking the ball away was a better art than hitting. And he was great at it. That's the next step for HaHa. 

Nicks INTs by season.  1-3-0-7-6-4 then his career was over. 

HaHa INTs by season.  1-2-5. 

I love that Dom coached Nick and HaHa. Dom ****ing loves safeties, NTs, and outside LBs. That's the **** that gets Dom loose. He's got good ones. Don't protect the corners Dom. Trust and destroy. 

Last edited by ChilliJon
Cavetoad posted:
Timmy! posted:

Defense was allowing a poor drive on their next-to-last series.
Until King got pissed off! 
He had the wtf completion against, but I didn't see any replays, so don't know what happened. But followed that up with 2 EXCELLENT plays resulting in the FF by Martinez.
Had another good tackle on their last drive that forced 4th down.

Thomas is having a good game.

WTH was McCaffrey doing on the route when he ran into Kendricks? 
I have to assume a poor route or adjustment until I see otherwise, but that was an even poorer read and throw by Hundley. He knows better than to do that crap!

Looking at the replay, I think Hundley wanted to throw to the receiver behind the LB, not the one that they were covering.... he just never saw the LB stay in coverage.  Hence why the pass didn't lead the receiver.

It was a bad choice.

Didn't Hundley throw the same pick to a Phila player two seasons ago!!  

Just watched the replay.

McCaffrey has a better feel and body positioning as a receiver than all but the top 3. For how they looked on Special Teams, Janis and Davis Just don't seem to understand the receiver position. Neither does Yancey. Didn't see enough of Dupre to tell much. I wonder if McCaffrey will get more return opportunities next week, especially on kickoffs.

The Jones/Murphy miscommunication on the free sack looked terrible, but all three rookie backs looked to have skills.

Montgomery fumbles are apparently an issue. That's irritating.

Last edited by Herschel

Spriggs is better vs. speed rushers than anchoring vs. the bull rush, we'll see how he progresses on that front. Barnett set him up with an outside rush, then drilled his inside shoulder and beat him.

Hundley was solid against NFL-caliber defenders. Callahan had a couple of throws that are likely picked off against starting d-backs while Hill was throwing at car salesmen.

Just saw full game.  Save a few bad decisions Hundley throws a nice ball, can do it on the run.  Some of those scrambling heaves by littleflynn were eye opening. McCaffrey looks solid but not like he can get a whole lot better than what he is. Yancey, despite not being a burner seemed to know how to get past a couple DB's deep and then make a play on the ball.  Already talked about Williams and King.  Ha Ha looks ready to take over.  Clark was already taking over vs. PHI's starters.  Big man has wheels.  Burnett seems more active and around the ball a lot but he has to cut those missed tackles down.

DH13 posted:

McCaffrey looks solid but not like he can get a whole lot better than what he is. 

Not singling you out DH, but what's better than getting open and catching passes for yardage?  

I'll take solid production over "potential" and "looks" every day of the week.

Who was it, Silverstein, who predicted McCaffrey will lead the pre-season in catches? Sounds about right, and if he does, and he loses out to Janis or one of the good- looking draft picks based solely on their potential or "upside," I would not agree with that.

Upside, to me, all that means is if the player finally does produce, he'll look better doing it.  What's the point? Take the production.

DH13 posted:

Because he was doing it against 3rd stringers?  He could get open by about a step and that ain't gonna be a step vs starters.  Reliable is fine when you've proven you can do it vs their #2 or 3 CB.  So far he's proven he can do  it vs. #5 and 6.  

McCaffrey snatched a Callahan pass on an offsides free play that was just thrown away by Callahan (for reasons I think someone needs to ask Callahan about) with really tight coverage but McCaffrey still bodied out and made the catch. Don't care who was in coverage. It was an impressive display of sideline control. 

There is something there with Max. 

Trading Hundley makes sense from the viewpoint of getting 'something' for him (other than a possible comp pick?).
Another benefit of our QB run is having the opportunity to trade back-ups, and most of the guys they've done that with have had some talent, making them desirable.
The author of the above-linked article did a good job of 'presenting his case', but it still smacks of wild speculation.

I'd say Hundley's debut this pre-season was a B- type of performance.  He was pretty good, not exceptional, had a couple good passes that were dropped, but I thought the Adams catch that he scooped off the ground was one where the receiver bailed him out on a shaky pass.

Hopefully we can see some A level performances this preseason so he legitimately could look like a future starter in other teams' eyes.  I didn't think he showed enough on Thursday, needs to step it up a bit.  He was okay, but needs to be better than okay to be looked at as starting material.

I watched some of the Indy/Loins game today.
Tolzien = Hundley. Both made a couple of good throws, both made a couple of head-scratchers, and that was about it.
Tolzien is/will have a much harder time progressing because their OL is POOR.

But I do think both of them showed they are head-and-shoulders above most back-up QBs, and likely could give a few starters a run for their money.

Let's see how the next game shakes out. Maybe Hundley is reaching his potential because he hasn't shown a whole ton of progress in the time he has been in GB. Callahan seems like an overachiever who counts on smarts. Hill is a big unknown. He seems like he's got some attributes, but who knows when guys don't get to play with the big boys? SI had a pretty good article on what it was like being a backup QB in a camp. Guys like Flutie, Warner, etc., talked about just how frustrating it was getting no reps or hardly any to show what you could do. I imagine it's even more difficult for a rookie.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.