Skip to main content

Who is the 1 player on this roster you think surprises and exceeds expectations and the 1 that doesn't live up to them?

Exceeds

• Randall Cobb Boom or bust pick here, I know. He's struggled, but I have a feeling the staff realized he's not been used effectively. More quick routes, crossing patterns getting defenders chasing, and bubbles screens. Less trying to force him to get open and the predictable "oh he's in the backfield, he'll get the ball, duh" moves.

Others in consideration 

• Jamaal Williams - loved what I saw last year and preseason. Just think Aaron Jones is the much better back and will eventually supplant touches
  • Kevin King - getting lots of pub, and I would be ecstatic if we look back in 8 months and say he was the right choice. 

Disappoints

• Clay Matthews Again, I could look spectacularly wrong here. The DL is improved, so that very well could open things up for him and he'll look like 2010/11 all over again.  I think he'll continue a slide of just not making many impactful plays, and those plays will become fewer and farther between in 2018.  

Others in consideration

• Jimmy Graham - easy choice for lots of people. Chicken or Egg? Is the fact that AR hasn't really leaned on TEs because he just doesn't, or they've been bad. I think more of the latter, but...
  • Tramon Williams - I think he'll likely be a solid cog, but age catches up quickly to DBs, would not shock me 
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good topic. I agree on Cobb, I think he's going to have a fine year with Graham grabbing a lot of attention.

I think Geronimo is going to be the biggest surprise, he will have A LOT of opportunities and I believe will make the most of them. He's flashed big play ability, but he's not really seen the field enough. He won't replace Jordy, but I think he will be a weapon for us.

I think Aaron Jones, once he returns from suspension, is going to be a real star in this offense in the run and pass game. Pass pro is the weakest area of his game, if he can clean that up I think he's a feature back for us...especially with solid blocking on the edge from ML. 

I think we will be disappointed by the rookie WRs. They each had some splash plays in the preseason, but I don't foresee them making much of a difference unless there's an injury. 

I think the defense, overall, won't make the strides some were expecting. I think they will be improved and will make a lot more plays, BUT I think they're still a couple players away from being elite. Lack of pass rush depth will wear down CM3 and NP come January and lack of quality players at Safety will ultimately be most glaring weakness. 

Exceeds:

Kenny Clark. He's still like 23, but this is his 3rd year and I really feel like this will be a break out year. For one, he's surrounded by a ton of talent along side Daniels and Wilkerson, and for two, he should stay fresh most of the year. Guys like Monty Adams and Lowry will provide great rotation for him. 8+ sacks wouldn't shock me a bit. 

Disappoints: 

Nick Perry. Like CMIII, I'd love to see him exceed and look like 2016.  But seemingly always hurt, I just feel like someone like Reggie Gilbert will eat away at his playing time OR yet another injury will dog him yet again. The good news? The Packers can move on from his 11 million a year bloated salary in 2019/

Last edited by packerboi

"I think the defense, overall, won't make the strides some were expecting."

Sorry if this is OT - in a similar vein I'm curious where everyone's patience level is/will be with the new defence.

IMO, it could be 6 weeks (+/-) before we start to see the D put it together. Will fans be climbing on ledges if it takes that long or longer? What's your expectation? 

Exceed: Spriggs (yep, I went there - unfortunately that means he plays because someone is down).

Disappoint: Kevin King, because he'll be hurt again and again not due to talent. 

Regarding Pettine's defense:

I'd said this before. I'll say this again. This is phase 1 of a phase 2 fix. 2018 laid the ground work to fix the secondary and shore up the interior DL. Phase 2 in 2019, in a supposedly deep draft at OLB/DE, will be to fix the pass rush. 

I also think Gute in 2019, if he moves on from Perry/CMIII, will take that cash and go after a free agent pass rusher coupled with one of his 1st round picks.

Patience grasshoppers. Patience. 

Exceeds

Josh Jackson. He’s going to make it impossible to be kept off the field in very short order.

Others: Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, Valdes-Scantling.

Disappoints

Corey Linsley. He was worked over pretty well in his limited preseason snaps. Something to watch early in the season. 

Others: Perry and Clinton Dix. 

Exceeds

Geronimo:   I think he surpasses Cobb as the #2 WR and has a big year.    

Disappoints

Martinez:  I think he gets too much credit for the tackle numbers as the real contributor to those are the hogs up front.    He's no AJ Hawk or Hawk 2.0 (Ryan) but he isn't a special player either.   Just a guy.   I think MLB gets exposed as the team's weakness in general. 

too early to tell, but from my crystal ball...offense exceeds and the middle of the defense disappoints, can hear the 'need to knock the rust off' comments etc...but i hope i have it all backwards.

Exceeds: Jimmy Graham- Really think he will have a special relationship with AR in red zone and otherwise. Go-to-guy. (Thought it would Bennett last year for what it's worth

Disappoints: Mo Wilkerson. Haven't seen anything from #1 Defense intentionally, but I tend to think once a bum always a bum. Will be pleasantly surprised if they bring a ton out of the guy. Excitement has definitely dwindled.

Before I even opened this thread the first name that came to mind for exceeds was Allison. With Graham and Adams drawing so much attention, Allison should have many opportunities.

My disappointment, sadly, has to be Perry. He just can't seem to stay healthy.

Goalline posted:

I don't ****ing know. Who am I supposed to be? Nostradamus?

That's KneeGrowDamus to you. 

Exceeds

Geronimo:   I think he surpasses Cobb as the #2 WR and has a big year.  - Concur with Brainded

Bonus pick: Aaron Jones, I think he's going to be a workhorse when he returns. 

Disappoints

Hmm.....this is where I wonder if I'm killing it or way off base.

Mike McCarthy....I just have this feeling he's not going to come up with anything innovative this season & rather rely on Rodgers to continue creating magic.

Last edited by Boris
Brainwashed Boris posted:
Goalline posted:

I don't ****ing know. Who am I supposed to be? Nostradamus?

That's KneeGrowDamus to you. 

Exceeds

Geronimo:   I think he surpasses Cobb as the #2 WR and has a big year.  - Concur with Brainded

Bonus pick: Aaron Jones, I think he's going to be a workhorse when he returns. 

Disappoints

Hmm.....this is where I wonder if I'm killing it or way off base.

Mike McCarthy....I just have this feeling he's not going to come up with anything innovative this season & rather rely on Rodgers to continue creating magic.

Exceeds:  Oren Burks (Second Choice: Josh Jones) Pettine uses the speed of the defense and these guys thrive in it.

Disappoints:  Running Game  McCarthy says he is focusing run but abandons it early in games.

I have yet to read about anyone having low enough expectations of Graham to think he could possibly exceed expectations.

Got a feeling Aaron Jones is going to regularly miss games with injuries.  Maybe not the IR kind but the kind that keep him sidelined off and on.

I'll go with Marcedes Lewis exceeding expectations, more as a receiver than blocker.  Graham will draw the extra help from the slot/inside which leaves depth guys trying to cover Lewis.  On top of the fact you really don't know if he's blocking or running a route on any given play.

Wilkerson is calling me from the disappointment column.

Exceeds: Oren Burks, Josh Jackson and Kevin King on Defense. Geronimo Allison and Brian Bulaga on Offense

Disappoints: Ha Ha Clinton Dix on Defense and Ty Montgomery on Offense.

I can see Burks tearing it up in the LB ranks and getting serious consideration for Defensive Rookie of the year along with Josh Jackson, who will win that award. I can see Brian Bulaga have a great comeback year at RT, at least that's what i'm hoping for. Kevin King will be so good that no opposing QB challenges him by throwing the ball to his side of the field. G-MO is ready for a break out season, especially when teams double cover Davante Adams.

HHCD needs to wake up and play a whole lot better than he did last season or else Gute should send him packing. As for Ty Montgomery, he needs to stay healthy. I just have this feeling he will get dinged up often, this season. I hope not, but that's my feeling.

What I hope doesn't exceed or disappoint is the injuries.  That to me is the one thing holding this team back for a few years now is staying healthy.   To me sooner or later they are due not to have a injury plagued season right?

Anyhow for the players the one that will exceed to me will be Josh Jackson.  By mid season we will be asking ourselves why he wasn't a 1st round pick.

Disappointment?  I will always say defense until I am proven otherwise.

Exceeds : Can't decide between 2 players I've been excited about for a while :  Reggie Gilbert and Montravious Adams

Disappoints : Jimmy Graham. Just think his blocking is too atrocious to hide on a regular basis, plus age could take its toll. Probably depends on how he's used. 

Biggest fear : McCarthy's offense exposing Rodgers. The Offense seems to be reliant on Rodgers "going playground" to make a play successful.  They rarely (it seems) run on the rhythm of a 3 step or 5-step drop. Hopefully adding Philbin creates better balanced Offensive game plans.  

Guy I'm not sure can be trusted  : HaHa Clinton-Dix. Is he just not very good, or is he a pussy ? 

Packdog posted:

Disappoints : Jimmy Graham. Just think his blocking is too atrocious to hide on a regular basis, plus age could take its toll. Probably depends on how he's used. 

Then don't try and hide it and don't expect him to block. Seattle tried that for three years. Ugly results.

I'll bet if you made a "Best Jimmy Graham blocks" video of his 5 years in New Orleans the video would be less than 20 seconds long. 

I go back to my original point a few weeks ago when I Googled “NFL last Player Coach”

Favre image came up, but then..

“Jimmy Conzelman was player-coach for four teams during the 1920s. In the mid-1950s Tom Landry played defensive back while serving as defensivecoordinator for the New York Giants. In the early 1970s, when Landry was coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he made running back Dan Reeves a player-coach.”

No reason AR can’t do both. Especially with the cash “we” are paying him.

Last edited by Tavis Smiley

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.