Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's really strange with Montgomery, his twitter is all TAMU. Unless this is a fake twitter for him? Did he just bail on TAMU after being there less than a month. 

Interesting that they have broken up the "run game coordinator" and "pass game coordinator" on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure what that means, responsibility wise, but I'm glad the staff is finalized. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Grave Digger
Grave Digger posted:

That's really strange with Montgomery, his twitter is all TAMU. Unless this is a fake twitter for him? Did he just bail on TAMU after being there less than a month. 

Interesting that they have broken up the "run game coordinator" and "pass game coordinator" on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure what that means, responsibility wise, but I'm glad the staff is finalized. 

Didn't Montgomery leave for TAM before the Aggies named Notre Dame defensive Coordinator Mike Elko to the same role for TAM?  Maybe Elko had his own guy and didn't want Montgomery?

The structure on defensive staff is weird.  Perry is obviously gone - that wasn't clear from media reports.  With all the secondary issues we've had, we now have one coach for the secondary (Simmons) who was a former assistant special teams coach.  Um, why?

And, somehow, Winston Moss, is still around.  Whatever he does, he must be good at it.  I'm just not sure what that is.

Here's a little more reader friendly view (bigger font):

50k Club posted:

The structure on defensive staff is weird.  Perry is obviously gone - that wasn't clear from media reports.  With all the secondary issues we've had, we now have one coach for the secondary (Simmons) who was a former assistant special teams coach.  Um, why?

And, somehow, Winston Moss, is still around.  Whatever he does, he must be good at it.  I'm just not sure what that is.

To be fair to Simmons, he was a 9 year NFL veteran Safety in Pittsburgh and Houston, so it's not like he has no knowledge of DB play. I think Witt is likely still the overall Secondary coach and Simmons is going to assist him.

Interesting on Montgomery, have heard nothing but good about him so glad he's back. Was it the promotion or getting to know Jimbo Fischer better

Interesting that McCarthy left Strength and Conditioning alone.

My 2 main concerns:

1.) Once again it appears MM has too many chiefs and not enough Indians by handing out all these "coordinator" "asst HC" titles in a feeble attempt to cock block his position coaches from going anywhere. Whitt's bullschit title of coordinator again would prevent him from seeking an ACTUAL DC position where he'd call plays and run a defense. Jason Wilde has commented more then once MM has prevented guys like Whitt, Perry, Van Pelt, MaCadoo from moving on and it's left them very frustrated by feeling handcuffed by being here. Yes, by NFL rule, aside from a HCing gig MM can prevent staff from leaving but across the NFL, the Packers by far hoard their position coaches when compared to other teams. It leaves an environment where these coaches feel forced to be here. That is rarely a good thing.

2.) Aside from Ryan Downard, are any of these guys Pettine's? MM is not a defensive coach. Seems to me if your going in an outside direction at DC, let your new DC hire his guys.

With MM having 2 years left on his deal, if Gute/Murphy move on from him in 2018, I can see the above concerns as a key reason why. Pittsburgh Macho's stubbornness will be one of his key undoings.

ChilliJon posted:

I don’t think MM can do anything with the strength and conditioning coaches until all of them come off the IR list. 

Do they have a PUP list for the strength and conditioning coaches?

Packerboi, I am not so sure that this leads to coaches feeling like they are forced to be in GB.  I would bet you good money that across the league being on the Packers staff is looked upon as being in a very fortunate place. 

The Heckler posted:

I would bet you good money that across the league being on the Packers staff is looked upon as being in a very fortunate place. 

LOL yes, because with Capers and MM, with little accountability you had job security forever. So in that regard, a Winston Moss can stick around forever and never get fired no matter how schitty the results.

But on a more serious note, I am talking more about guys like Van Pelt who didn't feel fortunate being stuck in his contract. He wanted to pursue OC and other opportunities and was apparently blocked more then once by MM. That's the reason he didn't renew his contract in 2017. It was his only way out of GB.

You make it sound like working for MM is a nightmare and he doesn't know WTF he's doing. Blocking coaches from leaving is a normal thing in the NFL, I guarantee every coach understands that. I'm sure these coaches like Whitt and Montgomery and Campen were compensated for their promotion, I doubt they're complaining about it possibly hindering them from coordinator jobs. How do you know Pettine had these guys forced on him? Sounds like a major reach, I'm sure Pettine signed off on whoever was hired. Van Pelt likely left because MM told him he wasn't going to promote him to OC after firing Bennett. McCarthy doesn't fire coaches and reshape the staff people say he's stubborn and does what he does. McCarthy blows up his staff and people say he didn't do enough because Winston Moss is still here. You'd think 120 wins in 10 years would win you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Grave Digger

I'm hoping they practice tackling, when they're allowed to, as well.

The Seahawks practice tackling & twisting a runner down, that's why they're so good at it. Eliminate yards after the catch.

Can you tell I want a good defense for a change?

"It was his only way out of GB."

It is not unethical to hold someone to the terms of a contract. If you don't want to be in Green Bay, don't sign a contract to be there.  Imagine drafting a player, signing him and then, in the second year, he becomes a star and other teams can come in and start recruiting him?

http://www.packersnews.com/sto...-packers/1062860001/

“It’s been a little hectic,” Montgomery said, “but at the end of the day I had a great opportunity to go to a great program and be with a great coaching staff. I think A&M and coach Fisher are going to do really well there. At the end of the day, the best opportunity for me and my family was here in Green Bay. So I’m going to leave it at that, and just thankful for the opportunity to be here.”

I believe Perry is technically still under contract with GBP. I'd be very surprised if Pettine had zero say in the assistants. I don't see the "coordinator" titles as blockers, but more as focused assignments for teaching and week to week planning.

packerboi posted:

We have found the Anti-Wizard!  

As for his not wanting to be a head coach, excellent! I like it when someone has found their spot and appreciates what they're good at and is happy to stay there! 

And yes, YA, as a teacher as well, I cannot imagine being a principal. I hope Pettine is an excellent teacher.

"You'd think 120 wins in 10 years would win you the benefit of the doubt."

When he gets to 500 without a top 10 QB of all time starting the game, I'll give him the the BoD.  Something like 115 of those wins are with #4 and #12.

Does Dom still get the BoD from you for those same 120 wins?

Last edited by BrainDed
Brainwashed Boris posted:

I'm hoping they practice tackling, when they're allowed to, as well.

The Seahawks practice tackling & twisting a runner down, that's why they're so good at it. Eliminate yards after the catch.

Can you tell I want a good defense for a change?

The 1st time I see a DB try and tackle with their shoulder I'm going to have a coronary.   

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.