Skip to main content

Like we did with OTA's, let's do a running thread where we can put tid bits on season 100! Training Camp is here and starts on Wednesday. 

Always an exciting time of year:

Packers' emerging DL Kenny Clark is still shockingly young

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Kenny Clark might be entering his third NFL season after breaking out as a potential star in 2017, but the team’s 2016 first-round pick out of UCLA is still shockingly young, especially when compared to the Packers’ rookie class in 2018.

Clark, who only turned 22 last October, is still younger than six of the Packers’ 11 draft picks made in April.

In fact, Clark will enter training camp as the Packers’ 13th youngest player on the 90-man roster. The next youngest third-year player is Kentrell Brice, who turns 24 next month.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling, J’Mon Moore, Cole Madison, James Looney, Oren Burks and Hunter Bradley all entered the NFL older than Clark is now. Eight undrafted free agent rookies are also older than Clark, who was drafted by the Packers at age 20.

Age might only be a number, especially for young players entering the NFL, but in Clark’s case, his youthfulness could be a sign that he still has significant development ahead of him. That could be big-time trouble for opposing interior offensive linemen.

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...ll-shockingly-young/

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Packers get fancy mattresses for TC

"These new mattresses for the players were purchased last year. They're a new sleep system. They're from the recovery beds. They are specifically designed for athletes to provide a more comfortable and supportive sleep system," said Kelly Nass, Packers Camp Director.

Somewhere Jerry Kramer, Starr, James Lofton, etc are giving this kids the salute. 

While I didn't think Hundley was going to be a franchise QB, I thought he'd be the kind of guy that if Rodgers was out for 8 games he'd go 4-4, but he wasn't at that level. 

Frankly, I have my doubts that Kizer could be at that level either considering he won a total of 0 games in his starts last year.  Kiser does a shot to beat him out because he's younger and while he looked terrible last year, he looks like he has more physical tools to work with than Hundley.

It doesn't make sense....MM coached Rodgers. Going back he did pretty good in New Orleans with Aaron Brooks too.

What pisses me off is him saying "The QB room is fine!" when he knew full well it WASN'T

I would at least have liked to find out before the final two minutes of the season whether Callahan had anything.  Once the Packers were eliminated it didn't matter which QB played, but for MM to wait until the two-minute warning of the last game felt like a giant middle finger to the fans.

Brainwashed Boris posted:

It doesn't make sense....MM coached Rodgers. Going back he did pretty good in New Orleans with Aaron Brooks too.

What pisses me off is him saying "The QB room is fine!" when he knew full well it WASN'T

I agree, but what would you have wanted him to say? If he was being honest he would have said - "We rolled the dice that Aaron was going to stay healthy. We're not stupid - we know that if he gets injured and is out for the season our chances are shot. Yes, we knew that Hundley sucked because I have been doing this for a long time and can tell when someone doesn't have what it takes, but we figured it was more important to invest in other positions and take our chances." 

Brainwashed Boris posted:

Maybe Tom Clements deserves more of the credit. 

He's got a tremendous success with AR but beyond that his record is questionable.

I think quite a few coaches could have had tremendous success with AR so I honestly don't know how much MM's coaching played into it. Not being able to spend the amount of time with young QB's before the start of the season that coaches used to definitely doesn't help.

michiganjoe posted:

Don't know if he would have saved the season, but Taysom Hill was probably the best backup in camp.

He would've made it a lot more interesting, that's for sure.

Rusty posted:

Who was the available QB that would have saved last season?

That's not really the point.  It has more to do with being so completely out of touch with how much Hundley sucked.  

Like Boris said, he did a great job with Gannon and Brooks previously but he was an assistant then too.  I don't think Van Pelt was doing dick as far as coaching up the backups and it showed.  Hundley showed every crap rookie trait he brought with him from UCLA.

So I can give MM a pass to a degree but he sure the hell is responsible for keeping Van Pelt around.  Rodgers as well.  I also think we can let the whole "MM coaching them up" thing go to die with "Packer People".   He can barely manage a  coaching staff, he's doing squat with the players themselves. 

What will be telling is if we see improvement under Cignetti.  I'm not holding my breath but Van Pelt was ****.  

Last edited by Henry

One battle this camp that should be interesting is the number 3 WR position. I have no Geranimo Allison hate goin' on, but when you go back and look at any games with a healthy Aaron, getting separation and speed on this offense is still a major issue. 

It would be really cool to see one of these 3 kids that the Packers drafted, all above 6'3 and with sub 4.4 speed slide into that 3rd position. 

Seeing AR run around the field for 7-9 seconds before someone finally gets open can't go on. Whether Philbin fixes that by "scheming" guys open or we get some real speed on the field, this OL can't be blocking forever. 

heyward posted:

Cignetti is another one of MM's boys. The best QB coach, Clements, had no prior relationship with MM. Coincidence?

Fair point.  He ****ing blew as an OC but he was a good positions coach.

ChilliJon posted:

Philbin and Campen are the two most important coaches on the team. Followed by Pettine. If those three come up nails MM has two Lombardi’s. 

This is not an endorsement of MM. 

It just struck me that Philbin and Campen were carryovers from Sherman's tenure.  

Sherman may win a Super Bowl yet.  

packerboi posted:

One battle this camp that should be interesting is the number 3 WR position. I have no Geranimo Allison hate goin' on, but when you go back and look at any games with a healthy Aaron, getting separation and speed on this offense is still a major issue. 

It would be really cool to see one of these 3 kids that the Packers drafted, all above 6'3 and with sub 4.4 speed slide into that 3rd position. 

Seeing AR run around the field for 7-9 seconds before someone finally gets open can't go on. Whether Philbin fixes that by "scheming" guys open or we get some real speed on the field, this OL can't be blocking forever. 

Hopefully the new guys can contribute this year because Ankles is the only sure thing.  Always seems to take some time to get in sync with Rodgers.  Can't make heads or tails out of Cobb but hopefully he benefits from the Siamese OCs.    

Hundley must be a tease. Maybe he looked just  good enough in practice that MM thought they had an actual chance. 
And just when you thought it was time to pull the plug, he'd have a good enough game to make you think maybe his light finally switched on, even if they were against da Bears and Cleveland. 
When he had those gawd-awful games in between, there was no reason not to bench him and send Callahan in. Look at how many times that happened to Bart, fer crissakes. 

I think it's fair to say the team and coaches sure wasn't doing Hundley any favors. OL was a mess more often than not, and game plans seemed ludicrous, for want of a better word. Rushing was sketchy, even when the RBs were producing good YPC. 
Ditto the defense. Having to play from behind wasn't kind to Hundley

In any case, who knows the reason why the entire season unfolded the way it did, but MM gave the appearance he had 'lost' his team, intentional or not. Methinks there was a lot more dissension than we'd like to think as far as the players were concerned. Possibly some of the coaches, but to a lesser degree.
I hope Murphy and Gute excised that cancer.

Somebody ask Hornung about Kizer, please. 

Seriously, you college jeenyuses, what was his story at ND? It looks like he had a decent YPA and TD/INT ratio, but his 2 seasons were polar opposites despite similar numbers. 
Arm strength? Can he read defenses? Does ND run a 'pro' offense?
Since his entire college experience is 2 years, I'd guess he left too early? Way too early?

Is he "Packer People"? 

I'm not going to say I know everything about Kizer but here's what I saw from him.  Good arm, not great accuracy, big strong guy, fast for his size.  His decision making at the QB position in college wasn't great, but he left with 2 years of eligibility left so he could have improved in this area had he stuck around and maybe made himself into a 1st round pick.  That said, he didn't stick around, and his decision making issues continued in the NFL with the Browns. 

Notre Dame runs more of a spread than a true pro-style offense, but they do seem to produce NFL players despite that.  I don't think Kizer is a hopeless cause, but he was so poor last year that it's hard to believe he could ever be a good NFL QB.  He is very young, so that's a reason not to completely give up hope, but he's a major project.

Kizer spent a year in Cleveland, that's a pit of despair for any QB. The only valuable thing he probably learned in Cleveland was what NFL game speed feels like and what it feels like to take an NFL hit. I think he's still a blank canvas with legit NFL tools. Hundley was always going to be a project coming in as a 5th rounder from a Read Option background, Kizer isn't a project like Hundley. In a lot of ways, based on how we've seen other RO QBs translate to the NFL, we shouldn't have been surprised at all by Hundley's play (experience or not). It takes the right player to make that transition, college RO QBs have failed more often than they've succeeded in the NFL. Kizer has the NFL QB pedigree and his deficiencies were all coachable issues coming out. Having actual regular season game experience is another plus, but being in Cleveland could have messed him up completely and he may end up sucking. He and Hundley are apples/oranges as far as projects go, I don't think of Kizer as a major project.

Last edited by Grave Digger
packerboi posted:

I don't disagree with what you've said, but keep in mind Rodgers himself is a big reason why the O-line has to block so long. 12 is so turnover-conscious, and also is always looking for splash plays. He loves him some scramble ball. 

This offense has always worked best when 12 has the threat of a running game and starts out games throwing and hitting quick passes in rhythm. It pulls safeties and linebackers out of Cover 2 and 3 and opens up more of the field.  Maybe now with Graham and some of the youngsters we've got players who can either beat or out-jump press coverage, or just run by defenders sitting on the short stuff.

More throws to the RB's too! Anything that lets Rodgers have a credible option of getting the ball out quickly.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Most serviceable backup QB in MM’s tenure was hiding in plain sight from Treadstone throwing 6 TDs in a game while destroying Jim Schwartz’ future opportunities. 

Mike best get his QB room in order. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.