Skip to main content

ChilliJon posted:

I'll watch the game when I get home. Following the game thread and online it struck me why Gute didn't go after a guy like Mincah Fitzpatrick. GB needs to hold onto all their picks for a while. GB clearly needs a long term solution at RT early in the draft. They need a WR and an athletic ILB. 

Gute did some great work this past off season but this team isn't a player away. They are still a few players away. 

I disagree from the aspect this game showed how much they need a Minkah Fitzpatrick instead of going from Raven Greene to D.B Woodside to Aunt Martha. Yeah, a healthy Burks would be great as well, but oh that backfield is thin.

After the 3 and 0 start there was talk that because of the stellar D, AR would be able, at least in some games to take his cape off and become more of a "game manager". Nope, if this team is to stay in the top tier till the end he will need to don the cape every week.  Still some holes to fill and depth is needed.  Who in the personnel and OL coaching ranks thinks 70 can play?  Watch him, he should have RAG DOLL on his jersey name plate.

I feel they are heading in the right direction but as for most of the last decade, AR is The Green Bay Packers.

Herschel posted:
ChilliJon posted:

I'll watch the game when I get home. Following the game thread and online it struck me why Gute didn't go after a guy like Mincah Fitzpatrick. GB needs to hold onto all their picks for a while. GB clearly needs a long term solution at RT early in the draft. They need a WR and an athletic ILB. 

Gute did some great work this past off season but this team isn't a player away. They are still a few players away. 

I disagree from the aspect this game showed how much they need a Minkah Fitzpatrick instead of going from Raven Greene to D.B Woodside to Aunt Martha. Yeah, a healthy Burks would be great as well, but oh that backfield is thin.

Hopefully Burks an I Campbell are back soon although Burks was pretty awful when he played so not sure he would be much of an improvement

phaedrus posted:
slowmo posted:

We need a second inside LB who can tackle.  Playing safeties as the second LB doesn't cut it.

Wouldn't surprise me if the top two picks in next year's draft are WR and ILB.

Gutey filled a lot of holes, but could not fill them all.

True very true that he couldn't fill all the holes.  He has done an amazing job so far getting this roster redone and I think he is ahead of schedule so far.  

I would also add a RT to the list of ILB and WR.  Bulaga has given his all and is a good player when healthy but I think he has run his course because of injury.  They need a steady player at RT not the matadors they have been putting out there.

The Eagles were not a good matchup for the Packers given their excellent TE's and OL.  In some ways, I can understand Pettine trying to stay in nickel, but Martinez is just not disruptive/fast enough as a lone ILB to take on and get off blockers.  There is just not much to work with at ILB on the roster (I may be mistaken, but Fackrell may have been playing inside a little bit?).  Redmond was getting abused and really is a practice squad player.  Pettine has his work cut out for him.

LaFleur really has to get the run game figured out.  I know that takes time, but not having any sort of balance is tough on the OL.

Finally, the last few drives were basically Rodgers doing the spread as he did under MM.  It is clear that second half adjustments by LaFleur and his O staff this season are subpar. 

lambeausouth posted:
MichiganPacker2 posted:

That was offensive PI. 

Yup.

I don’t want to be β€œthat guy” complaining about the refs, but they are clearly impacting this game’s outcome, and that should never happen. Guy stripping the ball from Rodgers, setting up a TD, when 96 should have been ejected from the game for a blatant late hit with helmet to helmet. Obvious whiff on helmet to helmet on our return-sure would be nice if we got the same short field once. And this blown PI was absurd.

Packers need to regroup, and right now. We have to take control back. Punch Philly in the mouth.

I saw at least three plays where Barnett, #96, led with his helmet on tackles. Jamaal Williams getting laid out was the first one. Barnett should have been ejected for that.

DH13 posted:

If solely picking for need, yes.  Which doesn't often happen.  WR's will be a plenty in the 20 draft.  I'm not up on the LB crop.  Also need a TE than can catch and block.  OL still possible as well.

Until we picked Jenkins and Madison in the draft,  we've neglected the O Line for the past two drafts. FA came along and we got Billy Turner. We need to go after a RT,  RG and Center next draft and FA period. I'll pass judgement on our TE situation until Sternberger gets healthy enough to show us what he's capable of.

"LaFleur really has to get the run game figured out.  I know that takes time, but not having any sort of balance is tough on the OL."

The thing is, if the O Line could protect Rodgers and give him some time, our WRs could get open against Philly's DBs. Adams was 5-8 yards open against their DBs on almost every passing play, for a while. John Kuhn, reporting from the sideline, said that Adams was imploring MLF to feed him the ball for that reason.

mrtundra posted:
DH13 posted:

If solely picking for need, yes.  Which doesn't often happen.  WR's will be a plenty in the 20 draft.  I'm not up on the LB crop.  Also need a TE than can catch and block.  OL still possible as well.

Until we picked Jenkins and Madison in the draft,  we've neglected the O Line for the past two drafts. FA came along and we got Billy Turner. We need to go after a RT,  RG and Center next draft and FA period. I'll pass judgement on our TE situation until Sternberger gets healthy enough to show us what he's capable of.

The thing that killed them on the OL more than anything was Jason Spriggs being beyond terrible. Spriggs might have been the worst draft pick of the TT era. He was supposed to be playing in place of Bulaga and they'd have moved on from Bulaga at this point. Instead, they still haven't got even a serviceable backup OT. And god forbid if Bakh went down. 

It wasn't just that TT picked Spriggs, but that he used a 4th and a 7th rounder to move up 9 picks in the second round to get him. They thought he was a sure thing. Then, they compounded the error by keeping him on the roster for so long. It also created a feeling that they already had the Bulaga replacement on the roster because they had invested a 2nd, 4th, and 7th rounder to get Spriggs and that he just needed more time to develop. 

If nothing else, the fact that Gute moved on from a guy like J'Mon Moore quickly is a good sign. Wasting roster spots on guys like Spriggs, Carl Bradford, Richard Rodgers, etc. really has hurt the team as much as just missing the draft pick to begin with. Every GM makes some mistakes in the draft, but once you get the guy into camp and games and figure out he can't play, move on. 

mrtundra posted:

"LaFleur really has to get the run game figured out.  I know that takes time, but not having any sort of balance is tough on the OL."

The thing is, if the O Line could protect Rodgers and give him some time, our WRs could get open against Philly's DBs. Adams was 5-8 yards open against their DBs on almost every passing play, for a while. John Kuhn, reporting from the sideline, said that Adams was imploring MLF to feed him the ball for that reason.

If Adams doesn't hurt his toe, it's probably a much different outcome. 

50k Club posted:

The Eagles were not a good matchup for the Packers given their excellent TE's and OL.  In some ways, I can understand Pettine trying to stay in nickel, but Martinez is just not disruptive/fast enough as a lone ILB to take on and get off blockers.  There is just not much to work with at ILB on the roster (I may be mistaken, but Fackrell may have been playing inside a little bit?).  Redmond was getting abused and really is a practice squad player.  Pettine has his work cut out for him.

LaFleur really has to get the run game figured out.  I know that takes time, but not having any sort of balance is tough on the OL.

Finally, the last few drives were basically Rodgers doing the spread as he did under MM.  It is clear that second half adjustments by LaFleur and his O staff this season are subpar. 

Maybe the problem isn't as much the coaching as a lack of talent at some key positions. They fixed the edge rusher positions and safety in the last off-season. Jenkins may be a mainstay at OL for a long time and he's only going to get better. You can't fix multiple years of subpar personnel decisions in one off-season. They've done a great job shoring up some things so far, but they need playmakers on offense. 

antiworst posted:

Don't be surprised if Adams misses significant time with turf toe. Saw one report where season ending surgery may be considered. 

If that's the case, they have to make a move for another WR via trade to have any chance on offense this season. MVS and Allison as starters are bad enough. Those two are good enough to be NFL receivers, but they could be the worst starting duo in the league. Lazzard, Shepard, and Kumerow are guys you can find on any practice squad in the league. Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis would be the best set of TEs if it were 2012. 

Adams relies on his quick cuts and that injury is tough to move on. I have had turf toe twice in my lifetime. Sometimes they still hurt, even decades later. But It was never really treated. It’s nice that the team has access to a foot doctor in town. But I doubt Adams will be ready for the Dallas game. My hope is that the other Adams is ready because we are going to need him.

Last edited by PackerPatrick
BrainDed posted:
Fedya posted:
BrainDed posted:

It’s hard to β€œmake em throw” when you have 1 ILB on the field for 95% of the snaps.  

Don't 4-3 defenses generally have only 1 ILB on the field?

We were playing Nickle, not 4-3.   Smartass.  

The point was that teams that play 4-3 as the base defense will only have 1ILB on the field for a goodly portion of the snaps.  Are you saying 4-3 defenses can't force opposing offenses into passing downs?

Fandame posted:

Yup. Why no review there? Is it because MLF used it earlier? What's the rule inside two minutes for pass interference? I thought all turnovers were to be reviewed? 

Wondered the same thing. Didn't Aikman make mention of that? Was any explanation given? I thought TDs and turnovers were automatic review inside 2 minutes. MLF shouldn't be required or allowed to throw the red flag in such a case. Or was it reviewed and we missed it?

Fedya posted:
BrainDed posted:
Fedya posted:
BrainDed posted:

It’s hard to β€œmake em throw” when you have 1 ILB on the field for 95% of the snaps.  

Don't 4-3 defenses generally have only 1 ILB on the field?

We were playing Nickle, not 4-3.   Smartass.  

The point was that teams that play 4-3 as the base defense will only have 1ILB on the field for a goodly portion of the snaps.  Are you saying 4-3 defenses can't force opposing offenses into passing downs?

Do I really have to explain this?

nickle is a pass defense alignment because it has a 6 man front.   A 4-3 is a 7man front, an extra large body at or near the LOS.    

Yes, they are bringing the S into the box while in nickle so it’s technically a 7 man front.  That said, it’s much more challenging for the O to run block an additional DL or ILB than it is a 190 lb safety.  

With out Nickle personnel we are daring them to run and they obliged.  

Last edited by BrainDed

A 4-3 can’t run nickle because that would be 12 men on the field.   Nickle refers to the personnel, not the alignment.    The packers have been putting Nickle personnel, 5 DBs is what nickle refers to, in a sudo 3-4 alignment.   Replacing one of the ILB with a DB but placing him in a position like an ILB.  

So, back to the original statement.   It’s hard to make a team to throw when you only got 6 big bodies up front.   Add in the fact that Martinez doesn’t shed blocks well like a big old school MLB and you get what we saw last night.   

If you have Gilbert Brown next to Clark, that’s another story.   Dean Lowry and Lancaster are not in that category.  

ammo posted:
BrainDed posted:

A 4-3 can’t run nickle because that would be 12 men on the field.   

Bull. In 1996 the Packers used a 4-3 but played nickle too.   They took Koonce or Harris out of the middle and used Mike Prior as the nickle back on 3rd and long as well as other times.   How quickly we forget.   

That would be 4-2-5 personnel, AKA nickle.   The alignment would be similar to a 4-3 if you put the additional DB in the box.     

Finally watched the entire game.

Philly OL and DL were the best lines on the field. Very hard to win when you lose those two battles.

GB needed to run Jones twice from the 1 in the 4th. Last week against Denver Jones got tiny small and found a sliver for 6. He’s best around the GL.

Huge swing in the game was Rodgers fumble that resulted in 7 for Philly before the half. M. Lewis completely whiffed on a block on Barnett (should have been in the locker room and ejected after I saw his hit on Williams) But MVS was running free for an 80 yard TD. I mean he was free and clear for a TD. Lewis has to make that fucking block. If GB is going to design plays that require the TEs to block then they had best make that block. 

Add in the KO mistakes and there you have it. Can’t make those kinds of fundamental mistakes and expect to walk away with a win against a good team. 

I’ll call this a beneficial loss. GB is going to watch film and realize they screwed up basic fundamentals. A lot of them. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.